The Gun Politics Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75138
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 31 Mar 2018, 2:09pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 1:32pm
17 was still underage by law-of-the-land last I checked. Yes, he's a public figure by choosing and can be critiqued as such. But that does not mean he is unrestricted fair game like...in your words..."a good little Nazi" openly inviting a solid punch on the schnozz from a random stranger. If some critic feels like going too far exposing him, they're going to tangle with legal protections for minors having their privacy violated. You don't have to like that, but your beef is with 17 still being legally minor in the U.S. and that's not the least bit relevant to any gun politicking.
I'll fully admit to not being an expert on the Bible, but Christ's words, "suffer little children," weren't a command for persecution, no? But I'll defer to the Christians if it's actually cool to demonize kids who don't want to get shot.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

SteveSatch
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 379
Joined: 18 Jun 2008, 3:33am

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by SteveSatch » 31 Mar 2018, 2:25pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 1:32pm
17 was still underage by law-of-the-land last I checked. Yes, he's a public figure by choosing and can be critiqued as such. But that does not mean he is unrestricted fair game like...in your words..."a good little Nazi" openly inviting a solid punch on the schnozz from a random stranger. If some critic feels like going too far exposing him, they're going to tangle with legal protections for minors having their privacy violated. You don't have to like that, but your beef is with 17 still being legally minor in the U.S. and that's not the least bit relevant to any gun politicking.
She didn't beat him up. She made a joke about him not getting into college. It's a little in poor taste but he put himself in the public spotlight with full vigor. He can't expect to not take some ribbing.
Image

SteveSatch
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 379
Joined: 18 Jun 2008, 3:33am

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by SteveSatch » 31 Mar 2018, 2:32pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 2:09pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 1:32pm
17 was still underage by law-of-the-land last I checked. Yes, he's a public figure by choosing and can be critiqued as such. But that does not mean he is unrestricted fair game like...in your words..."a good little Nazi" openly inviting a solid punch on the schnozz from a random stranger. If some critic feels like going too far exposing him, they're going to tangle with legal protections for minors having their privacy violated. You don't have to like that, but your beef is with 17 still being legally minor in the U.S. and that's not the least bit relevant to any gun politicking.
I'll fully admit to not being an expert on the Bible, but Christ's words, "suffer little children," weren't a command for persecution, no? But I'll defer to the Christians if it's actually cool to demonize kids who don't want to get shot.
Do you really feel Hogg was persecuted/demonized due to a joke about him not getting into college? Really? Seriously? That's quite the stretch no?
Image

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 15001
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Rat Patrol » 31 Mar 2018, 2:41pm

SteveSatch wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 2:25pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 1:32pm
17 was still underage by law-of-the-land last I checked. Yes, he's a public figure by choosing and can be critiqued as such. But that does not mean he is unrestricted fair game like...in your words..."a good little Nazi" openly inviting a solid punch on the schnozz from a random stranger. If some critic feels like going too far exposing him, they're going to tangle with legal protections for minors having their privacy violated. You don't have to like that, but your beef is with 17 still being legally minor in the U.S. and that's not the least bit relevant to any gun politicking.
She didn't beat him up. She made a joke about him not getting into college. It's a little in poor taste but he put himself in the public spotlight with full vigor. He can't expect to not take some ribbing.
That's not what you said. You said "attacking a basic human right." Well...laws protecting minors are considered a basic human right in this country. All that crap about people threatening to doxx this kid runs afoul of that. Let's not harp on the barely relevant fringes of the argument here. It's the pile-on from followers, not the initial salvos from the primary players, that's causing the problems that are running afoul of law-protected rights.


Seriously Steve, you've worked as a secondary educator as your chosen profession for...what...20-someodd years now? Don't play dense...I KNOW you know the fundamental differences in how legal minors are treated under the law.
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75138
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 31 Mar 2018, 2:51pm

You're being intentionally stupid again, Steve. You didn't just come up with the Nazi line on your own. You know the ugly things being said about these kids. That you and your ilk think it's acceptable and righteous is why you're losing the PR fight in this. So, please, keep talking and show the world your character.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

SteveSatch
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 379
Joined: 18 Jun 2008, 3:33am

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by SteveSatch » 31 Mar 2018, 2:53pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 2:41pm
SteveSatch wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 2:25pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 1:32pm
17 was still underage by law-of-the-land last I checked. Yes, he's a public figure by choosing and can be critiqued as such. But that does not mean he is unrestricted fair game like...in your words..."a good little Nazi" openly inviting a solid punch on the schnozz from a random stranger. If some critic feels like going too far exposing him, they're going to tangle with legal protections for minors having their privacy violated. You don't have to like that, but your beef is with 17 still being legally minor in the U.S. and that's not the least bit relevant to any gun politicking.
She didn't beat him up. She made a joke about him not getting into college. It's a little in poor taste but he put himself in the public spotlight with full vigor. He can't expect to not take some ribbing.
That's not what you said. You said "attacking a basic human right." Well...laws protecting minors are considered a basic human right in this country. All that crap about people threatening to doxx this kid runs afoul of that. Let's not harp on the barely relevant fringes of the argument here. It's the pile-on from followers, not the initial salvos from the primary players, that's causing the problems that are running afoul of law-protected rights.


Seriously Steve, you've worked as a secondary educator as your chosen profession for...what...20-someodd years now? Don't play dense...I KNOW you know the fundamental differences in how legal minors are treated under the law.
I don't know about people threatening to doxx him or where you read that. I've not heard that. I certainly think that's not OK. I'll take your word about that. I was talking about the joke. I understand why she did it. She was angry at him attacking her basic human right to self defense so she got worked up and made a joke. It's not that big of a deal. I don't understand why anyone is angry over a joke about a 17 year old.
Image

SteveSatch
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 379
Joined: 18 Jun 2008, 3:33am

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by SteveSatch » 31 Mar 2018, 2:54pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 2:51pm
You're being intentionally stupid again, Steve. You didn't just come up with the Nazi line on your own. You know the ugly things being said about these kids. That you and your ilk think it's acceptable and righteous is why you're losing the PR fight in this. So, please, keep talking and show the world your character.
He came up with the Nazi behavior on his own, well with the help of his handlers.
Image

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23218
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by eumaas » 31 Mar 2018, 4:34pm

SteveSatch wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 2:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 2:51pm
You're being intentionally stupid again, Steve. You didn't just come up with the Nazi line on your own. You know the ugly things being said about these kids. That you and your ilk think it's acceptable and righteous is why you're losing the PR fight in this. So, please, keep talking and show the world your character.
He came up with the Nazi behavior on his own, well with the help of his handlers.
I am probably the most sympathetic to the idea of armed self-defense out of us on the other side of the argument but I am really unclear on why you are likening this guy to a Nazi. Are you aware there is an actual resurgent neo-Nazi movement out there killing people? Incidentally a movement with which the school shooter identified. What is the basis of your comparison?
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25850
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Flex » 31 Mar 2018, 4:37pm

It's kind of sad to see what's become of one of the principle founders of this board.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

SteveSatch
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 379
Joined: 18 Jun 2008, 3:33am

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by SteveSatch » 31 Mar 2018, 4:46pm

Flex wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 4:37pm
It's kind of sad to see what's become of one of the principle founders of this board.
Oh, since I don't believe what you do it's sad. How inclusive.
Image

SteveSatch
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 379
Joined: 18 Jun 2008, 3:33am

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by SteveSatch » 31 Mar 2018, 4:50pm

eumaas wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 4:34pm
SteveSatch wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 2:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 2:51pm
You're being intentionally stupid again, Steve. You didn't just come up with the Nazi line on your own. You know the ugly things being said about these kids. That you and your ilk think it's acceptable and righteous is why you're losing the PR fight in this. So, please, keep talking and show the world your character.
He came up with the Nazi behavior on his own, well with the help of his handlers.
I am probably the most sympathetic to the idea of armed self-defense out of us on the other side of the argument but I am really unclear on why you are likening this guy to a Nazi. Are you aware there is an actual resurgent neo-Nazi movement out there killing people? Incidentally a movement with which the school shooter identified. What is the basis of your comparison?
He's more of a Commie than a Nazi in when it comes to banning guns, but with his little Nazi arm band, and Nazi salute the Nazi costume sure fits.
Image

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13419
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 31 Mar 2018, 4:59pm

His outstretched arm movement was pure black power, the guys were the opposite of the nazis what the fuck am i doing drawing myself into this "debate"
Not teargas nor baton charge
That stops you taking the city


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23218
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by eumaas » 31 Mar 2018, 5:02pm

SteveSatch wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 4:50pm
eumaas wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 4:34pm
SteveSatch wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 2:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 2:51pm
You're being intentionally stupid again, Steve. You didn't just come up with the Nazi line on your own. You know the ugly things being said about these kids. That you and your ilk think it's acceptable and righteous is why you're losing the PR fight in this. So, please, keep talking and show the world your character.
He came up with the Nazi behavior on his own, well with the help of his handlers.
I am probably the most sympathetic to the idea of armed self-defense out of us on the other side of the argument but I am really unclear on why you are likening this guy to a Nazi. Are you aware there is an actual resurgent neo-Nazi movement out there killing people? Incidentally a movement with which the school shooter identified. What is the basis of your comparison?
He's more of a Commie than a Nazi in when it comes to banning guns, but with his little Nazi arm band, and Nazi salute the Nazi costume sure fits.
Do they not do funeral/mourning armbands where you’re from? I know it’s a dying custom but it’s still common among cops, and some firefighters and EMS last I checked. Have you never seen that? Freemasons do it too. They wore them at my grandfather’s funeral.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 8678
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Inder » 31 Mar 2018, 5:04pm

Gene is a Nazi.

Flex is a Nazi.

Doc is a Nazi.

Even Rock and Roll is a Nazi.

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23218
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by eumaas » 31 Mar 2018, 5:09pm

Inder wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 5:04pm
Gene is a Nazi.

Flex is a Nazi.

Doc is a Nazi.

Even Rock and Roll is a Nazi.
Gotta have my living room.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests