The Gun Politics Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:I've never understood originalists. If you have to go back to what things were like back then and really try to interpret what they really meant, don't you have to ignore that they were all slave owners?
I somehow don't think that's actually an issue for them.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

From what I've read, amendments to the constitution comport with the founder's idea of an amendable document but, like, nothing else counts. It's idiotic since, insofar as it matters at all, the founders did envision both the courts and other political entities being able to set and interpret law. But, whatever.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

It's probably already been quoted but, more American citizens have been killed by gun crime in the USA in the past 50 years than all American soldiers killed in all wars the US has fought in.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:It's probably already been quoted but, more American citizens have been killed by gun crime in the USA in the past 50 years than all American soldiers killed in all wars the US has fought in.
To those oppose gun control, it's a price worth paying. Every dead body is an acceptable cost for the kind of society they want.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

101Walterton wrote:It's probably already been quoted but, more American citizens have been killed by gun crime in the USA in the past 50 years than all American soldiers killed in all wars the US has fought in.
And if a bunch of people getting massacred in a movie theater, a bunch of SIX YEAR OLDS getting massacred at school, and a friggin congresswoman getting shot in the head point blank and somehow surviving doesn't move congress to do anything, the murder of 50 people in the LGBT community certainly won't. We can't even get universal background checks passed, and 90% of the country supports them. The NRA runs this country.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

4% of worlds population
50 of worlds guns

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
And if a bunch of people getting massacred in a movie theater, a bunch of SIX YEAR OLDS getting massacred at school, and a friggin congresswoman getting shot in the head point blank and somehow surviving doesn't move congress to do anything, the murder of 50 people in the LGBT community certainly won't. We can't even get universal background checks passed, and 90% of the country supports them. The NRA runs this country.
There's only one scenario where I can see congress passing gun control legislation - if radical muslims decide to do shooting sprees like every weekend and kill lots and lots of white people. Then and probably on then, would we collective say, "okay, maybe it shouldn't be so easy to buy a gun."

California Governor Ronald Reagan was present when the protesters arrived and later commented that he saw “no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.” and that guns were a “ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will.” In a later press conference, Reagan added that the Mulford Act “would work no hardship on the honest citizen."

- Ronald Reagan passing gun control legislation in California due to fears over the rise of the Black Panthers.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:
There's only one scenario where I can see congress passing gun control legislation - if radical muslims decide to do shooting sprees like every weekend and kill lots and lots of white people. Then and probably on then, would we collective say, "okay, maybe it shouldn't be so easy to buy a gun."
That scenario would more likely lead to mass incarceration of Muslims/anyone dusky looking rather than meaningful gun control.

As with most other social problems, I don't see anything significant happening until enough Boomers are dead and more Millennials and whatever we call the generation is that comes next—those who came of age amidst mass shootings and, I would hope, want it to end—achieves sufficient political influence. Boomers and Xers are, on the whole, impediments to serious social justice achievements. So, hold tight for another fifteen years or so and then hope there's still something worth saving.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:
That scenario would more likely lead to mass incarceration of Muslims/anyone dusky looking rather than meaningful gun control.

As with most other social problems, I don't see anything significant happening until enough Boomers are dead and more Millennials and whatever we call the generation is that comes next—those who came of age amidst mass shootings and, I would hope, want it to end—achieves sufficient political influence. Boomers and Xers are, on the whole, impediments to serious social justice achievements. So, hold tight for another fifteen years or so and then hope there's still something worth saving.
In about fifteen years, I believe the demographics will have shifted so caucasians won't be the majority in the US. That'll do the country some good.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:

In about fifteen years, I believe the demographics will have shifted so caucasians won't be the majority in the US. That'll do the country some good.
That too. Regardless, any hope that I have for the US rests on actuarial tables and the awful eating habits of white Boomers and Xers.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote: And if a bunch of people getting massacred in a movie theater, a bunch of SIX YEAR OLDS getting massacred at school, and a friggin congresswoman getting shot in the head point blank and somehow surviving doesn't move congress to do anything, the murder of 50 people in the LGBT community certainly won't. We can't even get universal background checks passed, and 90% of the country supports them. The NRA runs this country.

That too. Regardless, any hope that I have for the US rests on actuarial tables and the awful eating habits of white Boomers and Xers.
As much as this terrible election seems apocalyptically disheartening we all must remember that it's just the demented death screeches of the Old White American Hegemony after 400 years. The cunts weren't going to die well.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:As much as this terrible election seems apocalyptically disheartening we all must remember that it's just the demented death screeches of the Old White American Hegemony after 400 years. The cunts weren't going to die well.
I've mentioned before that the fascinating thing about this election is that we can actually see an empire die, perhaps a republic collapse. Most of this stuff can only be appreciated in hindsight, but it's obviously that a top-heavy corrupt system built on top-down looting and fear-mongering is on its last legs. Maybe it embraces the id this time around and goes into full devour mode, but more likely Clinton becomes a caretaker to inherit further body blows. James Buchanan, if you will.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:As much as this terrible election seems apocalyptically disheartening we all must remember that it's just the demented death screeches of the Old White American Hegemony after 400 years. The cunts weren't going to die well.
I've mentioned before that the fascinating thing about this election is that we can actually see an empire die, perhaps a republic collapse. Most of this stuff can only be appreciated in hindsight, but it's obviously that a top-heavy corrupt system built on top-down looting and fear-mongering is on its last legs. Maybe it embraces the id this time around and goes into full devour mode, but more likely Clinton becomes a caretaker to inherit further body blows. James Buchanan, if you will.
Oh man, she's the perfect Buchanan. Except, she's willing to go to war.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Oh man, she's the perfect Buchanan. Except, she's willing to go to war.
History repeating as tragedy then farce and all that.