The Gun Politics Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:Despite some assertions from people I actually think are pretty politically astute, I'm reasonably sure this sit-in won't lead to gun legislation that materially makes anyone safer. But I do think there's a pretty good chance this has helped solidify the surveillance-state watch-list concept as not only bipartisan consensus, but as a legitimate tool to advance so-called progressive causes. So that's something, I guess.
Yep.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:Despite some assertions from people I actually think are pretty politically astute, I'm reasonably sure this sit-in won't lead to gun legislation that materially makes anyone safer. But I do think there's a pretty good chance this has helped solidify the surveillance-state watch-list concept as not only bipartisan consensus, but as a legitimate tool to advance so-called progressive causes. So that's something, I guess.
Yep.
Agreed. The one thing that will always bind the two parties is that the state should be able to snoop on people's private lives.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Interesting times at any rate.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:Interesting times at any rate.
May we live to see a boring world.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Jesus, I thought only the republicans were offering terror watchlist bans and that the democrats were offering more robust, less anti-due process options. Looks like they were proposing those as well.

I mean, I'm all for increased gun control, but jesus, banning people from purchasing firearms on an unregulated, ambiguous, and generally unlawful list is awful in so many ways.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:Jesus, I thought only the republicans were offering terror watchlist bans and that the democrats were offering more robust, less anti-due process options. Looks like they were proposing those as well.

I mean, I'm all for increased gun control, but jesus, banning people from purchasing firearms on an unregulated, ambiguous, and generally unlawful list is awful in so many ways.
Perversely, the NRA-backed/Rpeublican version required that any person banned from purchasing a firearm required the government to go to court and provide material evidence the suspect was considered likely to be preparing to engage in terrorist activity, which the dems rejected as being too onerous a requirement. So, you actually have the repubs trying to push a more due process-oriented version of the bill in this scenario. Just surreal stuff.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:Jesus, I thought only the republicans were offering terror watchlist bans and that the democrats were offering more robust, less anti-due process options. Looks like they were proposing those as well.

Perversely, the NRA-backed/Rpeublican version required that any person banned from purchasing a firearm required the government to go to court and provide material evidence the suspect was considered likely to be preparing to engage in terrorist activity, which the dems rejected as being too onerous a requirement. So, you actually have the repubs trying to push a more due process-oriented version of the bill in this scenario. Just surreal stuff.
But easy to appreciate when you accept that neither party is bound by a set of principles of behaviour but instead only fealty to particular interests. As such, any tactic is legit, with amnesia setting in if it contradicts how to deal with other interests.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

But easy to appreciate when you accept that neither party is bound by a set of principles of behaviour but instead only fealty to particular interests. As such, any tactic is legit, with amnesia setting in if it contradicts how to deal with other interests.
I would venture to guess that the dems are in the mindset of "any gun control is good gun control and a victory for the cause" which is leading to this buffoonery.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:I would venture to guess that the dems are in the mindset of "any gun control is good gun control and a victory for the cause" which is leading to this buffoonery.
Almost certainly their attitude is to get any kind of seeming win to break the appearance that gun control is a no-go issue, to make it seem like the door is opening a crack. Then, bam!, Obama/Hilary/Bernie can take everyone's guns away.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

matedog wrote:
Jesus, I thought only the republicans were offering terror watchlist bans and that the democrats were offering more robust, less anti-due process options. Looks like they were proposing those as well.

It is a deal with the devil, innit?

Still, I'd take it.

If only because it would be a crack in a so-far impenetrable wall ... that will hopefully grow over time until it collapses.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

At this point, I'll take the Democrats showing any fucking guts at all in the face of the Republicans. Even in this madly wrongheaded compromised attempt.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The 2nd Amendment has been repealed, Obama's coming to every gun-owner's home to personally take away every gun!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sup ... 3?section=

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://thehill.com/policy/national-secu ... n-lockdown

No Open Carry in the Capitol building??? THIS ISN'T AMERICA, DAMNIT! :rolleyes:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:http://thehill.com/policy/national-secu ... n-lockdown

No Open Carry in the Capitol building??? THIS ISN'T AMERICA, DAMNIT! :rolleyes:
The only way to ensure civility and safety inside the Capitol is to mandate that everyone in there is armed to the teeth. Talk is cheap, hondo!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Is this thing on? It hasn't moved in weeks. :(