The Gun Politics Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:I finally unfollowed my mom on FB today due to a lengthy rant, the conclusion of which was, "if evil people have guns, I want one, too."
I don't FB nor does my mother, but I have the next best thing, which is our weekly Sunday phone calls. The most recent was on Americans and guns, in which she adhered to two positions: 1) The US does not have a real democracy and 2) it's is Americans' fault that their elected representatives are so awful on the subject of guns (among other things). My efforts to point out the inconsistency failed completely.
Aren't parents fun? Our biggest argument ever was over her position that all homeless people should be in prison.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:I finally unfollowed my mom on FB today due to a lengthy rant, the conclusion of which was, "if evil people have guns, I want one, too."
I don't FB nor does my mother, but I have the next best thing, which is our weekly Sunday phone calls. The most recent was on Americans and guns, in which she adhered to two positions: 1) The US does not have a real democracy and 2) it's is Americans' fault that their elected representatives are so awful on the subject of guns (among other things). My efforts to point out the inconsistency failed completely.
Aren't parents fun? Our biggest argument ever was over her position that all homeless people should be in prison.
Holy crap. :scared:

Most of my family are mushy social democrats and can't understand how their position could be critiqued from the left. At the same time, I regularly call them on their blatant partisanship and accompanying double standard, which necessitates me defending the Conservatives.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Most of my family are mushy social democrats and can't understand how their position could be critiqued from the left. At the same time, I regularly call them on their blatant partisanship and accompanying double standard, which necessitates me defending the Conservatives.
The most insane thing is that my mom is the one that gave me my morals and compassion, yet she believes things like this. What the hell am I supposed to make of that?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The most insane thing is that my mom is the one that gave me my morals and compassion, yet she believes things like this. What the hell am I supposed to make of that?
I just feel more and more every day that she's not the same person that raised me.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
JennyB wrote:
101Walterton wrote:It's probably already been quoted but, more American citizens have been killed by gun crime in the USA in the past 50 years than all American soldiers killed in all wars the US has fought in.
And if a bunch of people getting massacred in a movie theater, a bunch of SIX YEAR OLDS getting massacred at school, and a friggin congresswoman getting shot in the head point blank and somehow surviving doesn't move congress to do anything, the murder of 50 people in the LGBT community certainly won't. We can't even get universal background checks passed, and 90% of the country supports them. The NRA runs this country.
There's only one scenario where I can see congress passing gun control legislation - if radical muslims decide to do shooting sprees like every weekend and kill lots and lots of white people. Then and probably on then, would we collective say, "okay, maybe it shouldn't be so easy to buy a gun."
That scenario would more likely lead to mass incarceration of Muslims/anyone dusky looking rather than meaningful gun control.

As with most other social problems, I don't see anything significant happening until enough Boomers are dead and more Millennials and whatever we call the generation is that comes next—those who came of age amidst mass shootings and, I would hope, want it to end—achieves sufficient political influence. Boomers and Xers are, on the whole, impediments to serious social justice achievements. So, hold tight for another fifteen years or so and then hope there's still something worth saving.
I'd be interested to see some kind of raw breakdown of numbers (I'm not sure what that would be) of millennials being markedly more progressive than generations past. It seems to me either in the media or just in the opinions of people around me that there's just as many fucking assholes in my generation as any other. I fear that they will be the ones that reach for power, as well.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:The most insane thing is that my mom is the one that gave me my morals and compassion, yet she believes things like this. What the hell am I supposed to make of that?
The application of values is circumstantial, and you and your mother apply common values differently. Probably not much more complicated than that.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Parents lie.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

101Walterton wrote:Parents lie.
If they're smart.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
101Walterton wrote:Parents lie.
If they're smart.
Yes and if they are good parents.
You can teach one thing whist not necessarily believing it yourself however once that child becomes an adult and has their own views you can drop your pretence.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

People change and their values, opinions and behaviour due to environment and social changes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Says it all really.

BostonBeaneater

Post by BostonBeaneater »

BostonBeaneater