The Political Gun Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Political Gun Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 10:33pm
I still have some friends in Lewiston. No one I know seems to have been injured or killed, but at least one friend of a friend is among the wounded/possibly killed. Just fucking horrible. Whole state is under a stay at home order now, I believe. Hoping Weller and any other Mainers here on the board stay safe and sound.
This.

Simply horrible and the guy has been suffering mental issues. His knowledge of guns is scary with his training etc. Hope the police catch him and quick.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
I still have some friends in Lewiston. No one I know seems to have been injured or killed, but at least one friend of a friend is among the wounded/possibly killed. Just fucking horrible. Whole state is under a stay at home order now, I believe. Hoping Weller and any other Mainers here on the board stay safe and sound.
Hopefully Weller will visit us soon to let us know he's alright.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 8:45am
Flex wrote:
If I remember correctly Weller is out in the hinterlands.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 8:51am
Sparky wrote:
Flex wrote:
He also posted in the MLB thread at 9.45 last night, after the attacks.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 9:34am
revbob wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Flex wrote:
Yeah hopefully any friends/family of his are fine.

No doubt thoughts and prayers will be offered from various politicians to save the day.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 9:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Flex wrote:

No doubt thoughts and prayers will be offered from various politicians to save the day.
And assessments that if everyone were armed to the teeth, they'd all be fine.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 10:03am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Sparky wrote:

It's "funny" because Maine has a pretty high rate of gun ownership but historically one of the lowest rates of gun homicide in the country. Definitely shaped some of my views of guns as a kid - being around what seemed to legitimately be a "responsible gun owner" culture. Plenty of guns and good gun owners in Lewiston. But (and obviously you know this, I'm just lamenting) none of that matters, because this shit can't be stopped with a good gun owner culture or anything else except getting rid of fucking guns.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 10:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

It's "funny" because Maine has a pretty high rate of gun ownership but historically one of the lowest rates of gun homicide in the country. Definitely shaped some of my views of guns as a kid - being around what seemed to legitimately be a "responsible gun owner" culture. Plenty of guns and good gun owners in Lewiston. But (and obviously you know this, I'm just lamenting) none of that matters, because this shit can't be stopped with a good gun owner culture or anything else except getting rid of fucking guns.
Having strong regulation is conducive to encouraging a responsible gun owner culture because it raises the bar for participation. If you want to own a gun, here are the steps you have to take. Can't do that, no gun. Low or no regulation means any jackass can acquire serious firepower. In most every facet of life we know this—a funneling process of tests and restrictions to produce a better result. Want to play pro baseball? Prove yourself capable by demonstrating your ability and mental make-up at increasingly more demanding levels. Want to get a PhD? Prove yourself going up the ladder of education. But firearms? Nope, anyone can have one of those! Gun culture utterly rejects meritocratic measures despite the consequences of incompetence.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 11:06am
Flex wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 10:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Having strong regulation is conducive to encouraging a responsible gun owner culture because it raises the bar for participation. If you want to own a gun, here are the steps you have to take. Can't do that, no gun. Low or no regulation means any jackass can acquire serious firepower. In most every facet of life we know this—a funneling process of tests and restrictions to produce a better result. Want to play pro baseball? Prove yourself capable by demonstrating your ability and mental make-up at increasingly more demanding levels. Want to get a PhD? Prove yourself going up the ladder of education. But firearms? Nope, anyone can have one of those! Gun culture utterly rejects meritocratic measures despite the consequences of incompetence.
I like the driver's license analogy. You need to pass a written and practical test if you want to legally drive. Dont want to take the tests you can have a water pistol or maybe a sling shot you can even have a knife but no not a real gun. Dont want to take the tests for a driver's license you're welcome to walk, bike, public transport etc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 12:22pm
I like the driver's license analogy. You need to pass a written and practical test if you want to legally drive. Dont want to take the tests you can have a water pistol or maybe a sling shot you can even have a knife but no not a real gun. Dont want to take the tests for a driver's license you're welcome to walk, bike, public transport etc
And the stupid thing is that it's sensible middle ground. It isn't calling to ban all guns, just demonstrating competence and responsibility. Yet resistance from the gun fetishists because what's driving the bus is the profit motive. And crying eagles with colourfast clothes.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 12:53pm
revbob wrote:
And the stupid thing is that it's sensible middle ground. It isn't calling to ban all guns, just demonstrating competence and responsibility. Yet resistance from the gun fetishists because what's driving the bus is the profit motive. And crying eagles with colourfast clothes.
Hello,

This can be blamed on our forefathers who made gun ownership a right - depending on your interpretation of the 2nd amendment. The gun industry and NRA have told the government how to interpret the 2nd amendment for us. Driving is not a right.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 5:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Hello,

This can be blamed on our forefathers who made gun ownership a right - depending on your interpretation of the 2nd amendment. The gun industry and NRA have told the government how to interpret the 2nd amendment for us. Driving is not a right.
Even so, that "well regulated" part of the 2nd A suggests that the federal government is empowered to set conditions for gun ownership. Even if one interprets the 2nd A as allowing private gun ownership, it's not an absolute right.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Hello,

Cars didn't exist when the slave owners ruled the country

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 6:47pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Hello,

Cars didn't exist when the slave owners ruled the country
Hello,

Neither were cell phones. Does this mean we can license cell phones? That'd be great - no cell phone for you , you flunked the cell phone test!