Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Politics and other such topical creams.
eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22600
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by eumaas » 01 Dec 2008, 12:03pm

Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:If you don't find what's happening in my country interesting, don't comment. To a lot of those of us who do live here, getting rid of that fucker is important. It won't turn Canada into a paradise, but it will slow or reverse some of the ugly shit that's been happening here. Sorry that it doesn't meet your standards of serious discussion.
Cheezus, boss, I'm just giving you the business. He's a true asshole and it'd be great if he were gone. What's with you taking everything I say today seriously?
I just fail to see why you immediately felt a need to take a dump on this thread dealing with a pretty serious situation in my country. Next time you start a thread in this sub-forum about the Roma or another matter that has significance to you, I'll be sure to drop my pants and shit on it, y'know? Thread drift/evolution/mutation is always cool but immediately disparaging a topic—a serious topic—is just being a dick for the sake of being a dick.
Why'd you jump on me for it? I was just replying to Wolter. Go take a shit on him.
Hey! I said what he wrote MIGHT be interesting.
I went searching for "Canadian Batman" and found this:
Image
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15389
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by JennyB » 01 Dec 2008, 12:10pm

Harper does seem to be the Bush of Canada, doesn't he? I admit I know next to nothing about Canadian politics (how stereotypical Ugly American of me), but it seems like the guy is a total dick.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7982
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by Inder » 01 Dec 2008, 1:11pm


Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14581
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by Rat Patrol » 01 Dec 2008, 1:20pm

JennyB wrote:Harper does seem to be the Bush of Canada, doesn't he? I admit I know next to nothing about Canadian politics (how stereotypical Ugly American of me), but it seems like the guy is a total dick.
I will say Bush wouldn't creep the fuck out of me in a pose like this. . .

Image

:scared:
Run, kitty, run.
Image

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49240
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by Wolter » 01 Dec 2008, 1:27pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
JennyB wrote:Harper does seem to be the Bush of Canada, doesn't he? I admit I know next to nothing about Canadian politics (how stereotypical Ugly American of me), but it seems like the guy is a total dick.
I will say Bush wouldn't creep the fuck out of me in a pose like this. . .

Image

:scared:
Run, kitty, run.
:scared: :shock: :scared: :shock: :scared: :shock: :scared: :shock: :scared: :shock: :scared: :shock: :scared:





Also, throw an eyepatch on him and he'd look like Emilio Largo...

Image
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

dpwolf
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 587
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:07am

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by dpwolf » 01 Dec 2008, 1:28pm

Please forgive my ignorance but what do they mean by "bring down the government" and what is a "minority government" ? I'm interested but find this confusing.
then don't go killing all the bees

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71165
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Dec 2008, 1:31pm

eumaas wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:If you don't find what's happening in my country interesting, don't comment. To a lot of those of us who do live here, getting rid of that fucker is important. It won't turn Canada into a paradise, but it will slow or reverse some of the ugly shit that's been happening here. Sorry that it doesn't meet your standards of serious discussion.
Cheezus, boss, I'm just giving you the business. He's a true asshole and it'd be great if he were gone. What's with you taking everything I say today seriously?
I just fail to see why you immediately felt a need to take a dump on this thread dealing with a pretty serious situation in my country. Next time you start a thread in this sub-forum about the Roma or another matter that has significance to you, I'll be sure to drop my pants and shit on it, y'know? Thread drift/evolution/mutation is always cool but immediately disparaging a topic—a serious topic—is just being a dick for the sake of being a dick.
Why'd you jump on me for it? I was just replying to Wolter. Go take a shit on him.
Wolter was obviously being humourous—his comment was way over the top—rather than simply dismissing it as boring as you did, plus you also took an indirect shot in the nerd thread.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71165
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Dec 2008, 1:36pm

dpwolf wrote:Please forgive my ignorance but what do they mean by "bring down the government" and what is a "minority government" ? I'm interested but find this confusing.
In a Parliamentary system—Canada and Britain for sure, maybe others—people don't actually directly vote for a head of government, just their local member of parliament. At the first session of parliament, whichever party holds a plurality of seats is asked to form government, with that party's leader becoming PM. If they hold a majority of the seats, it's all easily done. If they only hold a plurality, it's a minority government because the opposition parties combined have more seats and can vote down any measure. A government is brought down if a spending bill is defeated in a vote or a formal non-confidence measure is passed. In that event, the prime minister has to resign and normally an election is called. However, the governor general (the queen's representative) has the option of asking the opposition if they can form a viable government. This is usually not the case, tho. But the Liberals and NDP have agreed to the framework of a coalition, so if they defeat the Conservative govt in a non-confidence vote, the g-g should ask them to give it a whirl. Otherwise Canada will be into its fourth general election in five years, and second in only a few months—something that few would want.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19925
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by matedog » 01 Dec 2008, 1:40pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:If you don't find what's happening in my country interesting, don't comment. To a lot of those of us who do live here, getting rid of that fucker is important. It won't turn Canada into a paradise, but it will slow or reverse some of the ugly shit that's been happening here. Sorry that it doesn't meet your standards of serious discussion.
Cheezus, boss, I'm just giving you the business. He's a true asshole and it'd be great if he were gone. What's with you taking everything I say today seriously?
I just fail to see why you immediately felt a need to take a dump on this thread dealing with a pretty serious situation in my country...
Why'd you jump on me for it? I was just replying to Wolter. Go take a shit on him.
Wolter was obviously being humourous—his comment was way over the top—rather than simply dismissing it as boring as you did, plus you also took an indirect shot in the nerd thread.
All this drama is getting me warmed up for The Hills tonight. I wonder if Audrina is going to come to her senses re: the Justin Bobby/LC thing. Or should I say NON-thing. She's so crazy.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71165
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Dec 2008, 1:44pm

matedog wrote:All this drama is getting me warmed up for The Hills tonight. I wonder if Audrina is going to come to her senses re: the Justin Bobby/LC thing. Or should I say NON-thing. She's so crazy.
Are you playing the role of child in an abusive relationship who tries to draw attention away from the bickering parents? Because I've got a belt with your name on it, son … ;)
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49240
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by Wolter » 01 Dec 2008, 1:45pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:All this drama is getting me warmed up for The Hills tonight. I wonder if Audrina is going to come to her senses re: the Justin Bobby/LC thing. Or should I say NON-thing. She's so crazy.
Are you playing the role of child in an abusive relationship who tries to draw attention away from the bickering parents? Because I've got a belt with your name on it, son … ;)
Careful. He might be into that. :meh:
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71165
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Dec 2008, 1:46pm

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:All this drama is getting me warmed up for The Hills tonight. I wonder if Audrina is going to come to her senses re: the Justin Bobby/LC thing. Or should I say NON-thing. She's so crazy.
Are you playing the role of child in an abusive relationship who tries to draw attention away from the bickering parents? Because I've got a belt with your name on it, son … ;)
Careful. He might be into that. :meh:
Hmmmm …
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19925
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by matedog » 01 Dec 2008, 1:52pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:All this drama is getting me warmed up for The Hills tonight. I wonder if Audrina is going to come to her senses re: the Justin Bobby/LC thing. Or should I say NON-thing. She's so crazy.
Are you playing the role of child in an abusive relationship who tries to draw attention away from the bickering parents? Because I've got a belt with your name on it, son … ;)
Nah, I'm just really excited for the new ep tonight. Perhaps that is belt-worthy in and of itself.

You got me thinking though, who would be the father and who would be the mother? Given your fairness and Eummie's volatility, I choose you to be the mother.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19925
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by matedog » 01 Dec 2008, 1:52pm

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:All this drama is getting me warmed up for The Hills tonight. I wonder if Audrina is going to come to her senses re: the Justin Bobby/LC thing. Or should I say NON-thing. She's so crazy.
Are you playing the role of child in an abusive relationship who tries to draw attention away from the bickering parents? Because I've got a belt with your name on it, son … ;)
Nah, I'm just really excited for the new ep tonight. Perhaps that is belt-worthy in and of itself.

You got me thinking though, who would be the father and who would be the mother? Given your fairness and Eummie's occasional volatility, I choose you to be the mother.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49240
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by Wolter » 01 Dec 2008, 1:55pm

I think that second post might be an EDITING FAIL.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests