Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Politics and other such topical creams.
JulieJazz
Resident Luddite and Crank

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by JulieJazz »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Right on both points. If we hadn't just had an election, and hadn't had so many in the last few years, a non-confidence defeat would trigger another election. The undesirability of another election is also a big reason why the Liberals and NDP are even entertaining the notion of a coalition govt. The last time the NDP supported a minority govt—Trudeau's Liberals in the early 70s—they got a lot of their agenda passed, but Trudeau got the credit and won a majority.

There's an outside chance that the Conservatives would win a majority this time around, but in all likelihood, yeah, we'd just be left with another minority situation. Which would be fine if he were willing to govern like it was a minority. His first minority govt (the last couple years), he kept on daring the opposition parties to bring him down and trigger an unwanted election. For a number of reasons related to electoral politics, the Liberals refused to take the bait. Finally, Harper forced the issue and called an election himself (even tho one of his first acts as PM was to pass a law prohibiting arbitrary dissolution of Parliament by the governing party—so much for that law) hoping to win a majority. He didn't get it, tho. Given the weakening economy, people don't want to spend money on yet another election, so if a functioning coalition can be cobbled together, the stability would be appreciated (except by those on the right). It might also be worth noting that while the Conservatives hold around 45% of the seats, they only managed around 36% of the popular vote. Meaning that that 64% voted for the Liberals, NDP, Green, and Bloc Quebecois. The Greens didn't elect any MPs, but there is a decent argument that this proposed coalition more accurately reflects the will of those who voted in the October election. It's not a airtight argument, but it's stronger than the Conservative claim that the opposition is hijacking democracy and engaging in a coup d'etat.
Very well put. I am really stuck on whether or not I want another election or just the coalition government. My initial (and gut) reaction is for another election. I did not vote for Harper and I did not vote for these other clowns, either! Regardless of my negative feelings towards Harper and what he represents / does (anti-gay, and anti-women), I felt that the most democratic option is for another election. However, and as pointed out, it seems that another election could be a disaster and waste of taxpayer money if we get the minority government again. My biggest fear is that Harper gets the majority. I find myself leaning more and more towards support of the coalition.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Canadian Press goes for literal description.

Liberal MP Bob Rae scratches his head.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Hey kids, the Daily Show is talking about Canadian politics: http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index ... indecision

Addendum: And the even more hilarious part 2: http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index ... s-in-peril
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Canada must be an amazing country if it allows someone named Konrad von Finckenstein to rise to such status. I think he was the homicidal doctor in Wolfenstein.
Role Reversal on TV Tax Debate

Yesterday I attended the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage hearing into the television industry in Canada and its impact on local communities. The hearing featured MPs from all parties taking CRTC Chair Konrad von Finckenstein to task for not doing enough to save local television broadcasting. Von Finckenstein rightly noted that there is no obvious or easy solution, but that wasn't good enough for many MPs, who (given the usual demands that the CRTC stop regulating) oddly demanded that the CRTC engage in more regulation.

Even stranger were the positions on fee for carriage. Six months ago, the notion of a monthly television tax on cable and satellite subscribers would have been rejected out of hand by most MPs. Indeed, the CRTC itself has twice rejected broadcaster requests for it. No longer. In the current environment, the CRTC hinted it was possible and it was the Conservative MPs who were the most vocal in support of imposing a new television tax. While one MP tried to characterize it as a business-to-business solution, the reality is that the television tax would add roughly $75 per year to the cable and satellite bills of millions of Canadians as the industry hopes to raise $300 million from the new fee. This sounds like the sort of thing that Conservatives would strongly oppose, yet with many MPs hailing from ridings where local broadcasters are shutting down, they kept asking why the CRTC had not acquiesced to the broadcaster demands.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Canada must be an amazing country if it allows someone named Konrad von Finckenstein to rise to such status. I think he was the homicidal doctor in Wolfenstein.
I believe you're thinking of Dr. Schabbs. One of my favorite bosses to kill in the game.
[youtube][/youtube]

P.S. this post is easily the most "innerstin'" post in this thread to date, as it does not involve Canadian politics.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Canada must be an amazing country if it allows someone named Konrad von Finckenstein to rise to such status. I think he was the homicidal doctor in Wolfenstein.
I believe you're thinking of Dr. Schabbs. One of my favorite bosses to kill in the game.
[youtube][/youtube]
Dat's da guy! And I agree, he was my favourite boss.
P.S. this post is easily the most "innerstin'" post in this thread to date, as it does not involve Canadian politics.
Someday we will have our revenge …

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The line from Slacker that goes "Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy" comes to mind. Yes, Mr. Martin, it's the fault of the young that our parties are disconnected from the public/common interest and their differences are mostly of degree not real philosophy and goals. Easy to blame the young for what your generation created, dumb ass. :rolleyes:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]

Wolfenstein was my gateway first person 3d shooter. I find it funny that a christian gaming company modified the SNES version to make Super 3D Noah's Ark:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_3D_Noah%27s_Ark
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Quick little summary of the Harper government's attitude towards non-white Canadians who get in trouble abroad. A clear reflection of the Conservative party's basic redneck base, that if you're not white you're not really Canadian.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Quick little summary of the Harper government's attitude towards non-white Canadians who get in trouble abroad. A clear reflection of the Conservative party's basic redneck base, that if you're not white you're not really Canadian.
What does any of this have to do with wolfenstein?

Also, fuck harper. He has the boorish manners of a Yalie.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:What does any of this have to do with wolfenstein?
It's implied.
Also, fuck harper. He has the boorish manners of a Yalie.
Worse—he has a master's in economics from the University of Calgary. Which, ideologically, is akin to the Chicago School of Economics.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Look's like we might be having our fourth general election in five years. I hate the Harper Tories but I can't say that even a Liberal minority led by Iggy fills me with anything approaching hope. Sigh. I'll vote Green again and shake my head at the overall results.

ThousandStances
Faux Deutsch

Post by ThousandStances »

Neither party is strong enough to pull off a majority, another election sure won't help!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Unless the Liberals win a plurality of seats—possible given the Tories' nosedive in Quebec—and are willing to partner up with the NDP.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »