This Week in Religion

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76307
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Jun 2008, 2:06pm

tepista wrote:
Wolter wrote:
tepista wrote:
JennyB wrote:I love that the teacher was a science teacher.
He doesn't believe in dinosaurs.
Carl Everett teaches science?
I thought all "churchies" don't believe in 'saurs, just Carl was the one who said it on TV.
Only to the Fundies—i.e., take the Bible literally. Some try to place dinosaurs in with the pre-Flood creatures, and that they didn't get to come aboard. I've also heard dinosaur bones being god's little test of faith. To those who accept the Bible as metaphor, it's easier to insert the stuff that actually did happen, like millions of different species that have come and gone.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23254
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by eumaas » 23 Jun 2008, 2:55pm

the idea that any animal could go extinct used to be anathema
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76307
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Jun 2008, 4:37pm

eumaas wrote:the idea that any animal could go extinct used to be anathema
I'm guessing that from a Judeo-Christian point of view, nothing that god created could ever fully die out because it would contradict devine intent. The dodo killed god.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76307
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Dr. Medulla » 24 Jun 2008, 5:25pm

Image
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25991
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Flex » 24 Jun 2008, 5:27pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
I know that in this day and age words like "awesome" and "unblowupable" get thrown around a lot... but I really think we have something that is:

A) Awesome
B) Unblowupable
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76307
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Dr. Medulla » 24 Jun 2008, 5:34pm

Flex wrote:B) Unblowupable
I think I've just figured out why my sex doll company went bankrupt.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Still216
User avatar
Hoy Without The Hoy
Posts: 1893
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 2:08pm
Location: At least it's not Detroit

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Still216 » 24 Jun 2008, 10:02pm

Dr. Medulla wrote: "With the exception of the cross-burning episode ... I believe John Freshwater is teaching the values of the parents in the Mount Vernon school district," he told The Columbus Dispatch for a story published Friday.
The strange thing is Mount Vernon is just a ways north of Columbus, which is a pretty nice, enlightened city by any standard. I'd expect this nonsense to happen in the southern half of the state, which should have been annexed to Kentucky or West Virginia years ago. Or, it probably does happen down there all the time, just no one calls the paper about it.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 32674
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by tepista » 25 Jun 2008, 12:02pm

Flex wrote:B) Unblowupable
[/quote]
Nat King Cole was great
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76307
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Jun 2008, 4:12pm

You might know Ray Comfort from his Adventures in Batshittery with Kirk Cameron. He has a blog. And he has an opinion about wildfires in California. The comments are a must read.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23254
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by eumaas » 25 Jun 2008, 4:15pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:You might know Ray Comfort from his Adventures in Batshittery with Kirk Cameron. He has a blog. And he has an opinion about wildfires in California. The comments are a must read.
Feel free to disagree and to be passionate about your beliefs (open discussion is healthy), but keep in mind that comments that use cuss words (even "mild" words and abbreviations for cuss words), blasphemy, a lack of civility, or those that fail to give the name “God” or “Jesus” capitals, will be automatically deleted.
jesus christ on a crutch

so do certain forms of heresy count as blasphemy as well? also, what if one is just too lazy to capitalize?
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50390
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Wolter » 25 Jun 2008, 4:16pm

eumaas wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:You might know Ray Comfort from his Adventures in Batshittery with Kirk Cameron. He has a blog. And he has an opinion about wildfires in California. The comments are a must read.
Feel free to disagree and to be passionate about your beliefs (open discussion is healthy), but keep in mind that comments that use cuss words (even "mild" words and abbreviations for cuss words), blasphemy, a lack of civility, or those that fail to give the name “God” or “Jesus” capitals, will be automatically deleted.
jesus christ on a crutch

so do certain forms of heresy count as blasphemy as well? also, what if one is just too lazy to capitalize?
If he's so worried about blashpemy, shouldn't he cover the bases and say "G-d?"
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23254
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by eumaas » 25 Jun 2008, 4:20pm

Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:You might know Ray Comfort from his Adventures in Batshittery with Kirk Cameron. He has a blog. And he has an opinion about wildfires in California. The comments are a must read.
Feel free to disagree and to be passionate about your beliefs (open discussion is healthy), but keep in mind that comments that use cuss words (even "mild" words and abbreviations for cuss words), blasphemy, a lack of civility, or those that fail to give the name “God” or “Jesus” capitals, will be automatically deleted.
jesus christ on a crutch

so do certain forms of heresy count as blasphemy as well? also, what if one is just too lazy to capitalize?
If he's so worried about blashpemy, shouldn't he cover the bases and say "G-d?"
But that's what them heathen JOOOOOOZ do.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76307
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Jun 2008, 4:20pm

I'm bookmarking his blog. Sincere insanity = assured hilarity.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 32674
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by tepista » 25 Jun 2008, 4:29pm

jesus Felching christ. He's gotta be F*@%NG Sh1tt1n' me!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23254
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by eumaas » 03 Jul 2008, 9:33am

I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests