This Week in Religion

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

This Week in Religion

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A couple stories, one appalling and one amusing, caught my eye …

Ohio teacher accused of branding cross on student's arm, teaching creationism
School administrators in Ohio voted Friday to begin the process of firing a middle school teacher accused of burning a cross into a student's arm and refusing to keep his religious beliefs out of the classroom.

The Mount Vernon School Board passed a resolution to terminate the employment of John Freshwater, an eighth-grade science teacher for the past 21 years.

Freshwater, according to an independent report, used an electrostatic device to mark a cross on the arm of one of his students, causing pain to the student the night of the incident and leaving a mark that lasted for approximately three weeks.

According to the Ohio Department of Education, the student's family has filed a lawsuit.

Freshwater was also reprimanded several times for refusing to move his Bible from his classroom desk and teaching creationism alongside evolution, according to the 15-page independent report. The report also cites evidence that Mr. Freshwater told his students that "science is wrong because the Bible states that homosexuality is a sin and so anyone who is gay chooses to be gay and is therefore a sinner."

The Board of Education of the Mount Vernon City School District met in special session Friday to address the case.

Freshwater has the option to contest the process by requesting a formal hearing before the Board of Education. Neither Freshwater nor his attorney could be reached by CNN for comment.
Prayer At the Pump
Rocky Twyman says nothing else has worked, so he's urging motorists to pray for lower gasoline prices when they fuel up. Twyman says he and his fellow volunteers at a church soup kitchen launched "Pray at the Pump" today at a gas station in Washington D.C. After fueling up their cars, Twyman says they bowed their heads and asked God for cheaper gas. There was no immediate answer, but he says other motorists joined in and the service station owner didn't run them off. Twyman says that if God brought down the walls of Jericho when the ancient Hebrews prayed, then divine intervention can bring down gas prices too.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Flex »

You're right, it's amusing that a student burned a cross into a student's arm and appalling that people would actually pray for the Lord to circumvent the divine will of supply and demand.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:You're right, it's amusing that a student burned a cross into a student's arm and appalling that people would actually pray for the Lord to circumvent the divine will of supply and demand.
Your smart arsery will be your undoing …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I love that the teacher was a science teacher.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:I love that the teacher was a science teacher.
Gotta bring down the enemy from within.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And that he said that "science doesn't work"—with that attitude, does that make me qualified to teach religion?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
And that he said that "science doesn't work"—with that attitude, does that make me qualified to teach religion?
If you find a place that will hire you don't forget to bring your branding iron.

If I was the kid I would have turned the cross into the Bad Religion symbol, assuming he was able to brand me in the first place.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

"science is wrong because the Bible states that homosexuality is a sin and so anyone who is gay chooses to be gay and is therefore a sinner."

I don't really get how get how that proves science to be wrong. Or what homosexuality has to do with eighth grade science. Either way, I wish I had this teacher, it would have been hilarious listening to all his religious crap.

""if God brought down the walls of Jericho when the ancient Hebrews prayed, then divine intervention can bring down gas prices too"

You'd think that wouldn't ya!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:"science is wrong because the Bible states that homosexuality is a sin and so anyone who is gay chooses to be gay and is therefore a sinner."

I don't really get how get how that proves science to be wrong.!
Because the bible is always right silly, god says so, or at least the people who talk to him have said. What are you some kind of SCIENTIST or something?

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Quick bible story! I stayed in a hotel once that had this sticky notepad that said "Thoughts" or something at the top of each paper. So I wrote "I think this bible sucks" and stuck one in the inside cover of the bible. Just doing my part to piss off the religious nuts.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

He doesn't believe in dinosaurs.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
Carl Everett teaches science?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
tepista wrote:
You'd be lucky if all he does is brand a cross in your arm.

Came across a follow-up to that story with the unintentionally hilarious defense of the guy:
Freshwater's friend Dave Daubenmire defended him.

"With the exception of the cross-burning episode ... I believe John Freshwater is teaching the values of the parents in the Mount Vernon school district," he told The Columbus Dispatch for a story published Friday.
With the exception of the assassination, JFK couldn't deny that the people of Dallas loved him.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Wolter wrote:
tepista wrote:
I thought all "churchies" don't believe in 'saurs, just Carl was the one who said it on TV.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
Wolter wrote:
tepista wrote:
I thought all "churchies" don't believe in 'saurs, just Carl was the one who said it on TV.
My family was highly uncomfortable about all the dinosaur stuff I had as a kid. I think they thought it might mean I would learn about evolution and stop believing in god. Well, I sure showed them!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"