101Walterton
The Best

Re: No Interest ?

Post by 101Walterton »

JennyB wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
tepista wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
tepista wrote:I thought you guys had a king or something. Give us a brief what's going on.

I vote you call it Aotearoa!
We have two Queens and a lesbian prime minister, we also have the worlds first transexual member of parliament. Who says NZ politcs is boring :mrgreen:
Are you joking? I hope not because that is awesome.
Absolutely not joking !!
I thought all of your members of parliament were Hobbits?
No they just look like Hobbits but make less sense.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I always just assumed New Zealand sort of "existed." The idea that there is an actual government both thrills and confounds me.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:I always just assumed New Zealand sort of "existed." The idea that there is an actual government both thrills and confounds me.
We have the most ridiculous democratic system known to man, MMP. You dont even need to get any votes to get in !!!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
Wolter wrote:I always just assumed New Zealand sort of "existed." The idea that there is an actual government both thrills and confounds me.
We have the most ridiculous democratic system known to man, MMP. You dont even need to get any votes to get in !!!
We tried that experiment here in 2000, and to a lesser extent in 2004.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A friend of ours in NC once told us, with embarrassment, that she never thought of Canada having its own history, with different actors and situations, than the US.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I see that the conservatives won the NZ election. Are they of the crazy type, 101, or are they more moderate?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Ike
Corner Soul

Post by Ike »

What in particular did Clark do wrong to get the boot after nine years, 101? Was it a single blunder like when John Howard lost the Australian elections last year , when he tried to pull off his industrial relations reforms?
What is your oppinion of our Western ways?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I see that the conservatives won the NZ election. Are they of the crazy type, 101, or are they more moderate?
Very central right (in fact not far from the Labour central left) although the leader is an ex 80's dodgy money trader :shifty: . Having said that he is probably a good man to have in charge at this time.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Ike wrote:What in particular did Clark do wrong to get the boot after nine years, 101? Was it a single blunder like when John Howard lost the Australian elections last year , when he tried to pull off his industrial relations reforms?
A few things, the main one being that she has been there 9 years and people want a change.
She is also not a likeable person and although that does not matter to the strong Labour supporter she lost a lot of floating support.
Due to our MMP system to keep majority Labour had to form an alliance with the NZ First party and their leader Winston Peters was the Foreign Minister. He has been under investigation for all sorts of allegations the worst of which is lying but Clark had no option but to stick with him for fear of losing her majority yet other MP's who have fallen foul for much lesser matters have been dropped like hot potatoes, clearly double standards by the PM.
Labour also refused to cut taxes for 9 years until, surprise surprise !! the election run in when they were clearly losing in the polls.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
Ike wrote:What in particular did Clark do wrong to get the boot after nine years, 101? Was it a single blunder like when John Howard lost the Australian elections last year , when he tried to pull off his industrial relations reforms?
A few things, the main one being that she has been there 9 years and people want a change.
And there is considerable value in having some turnover every ten to fifteen years. Fossilization is as destructive as anything to responsible government. The problems, of course, come from the main alternative being the radical right bent on corrupting the notion of responsible government (the plague of North America for close to three decades).

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
And there is considerable value in having some turnover every ten to fifteen years. Fossilization is as destructive as anything to responsible government. The problems, of course, come from the main alternative being the radical right bent on corrupting the notion of responsible government (the plague of North America for close to three decades).
The government cops some flak rightly or wrongly for all negative things that occur and the longer they are in power the more sticks to them.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
The government cops some flak rightly or wrongly for all negative things that occur and the longer they are in power the more sticks to them.
Politicians should never feel that they're indispensable. It breeds contempt for both the citizenry and their job. Giving elected officials the boot, either thru elections or term limits, is a sensible preventative measure.