A lotta people in Georgia and Alabama...

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: A lotta people in Georgia and Alabama...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
22 May 2019, 10:35am
There's something to be said about lying down in the street and blocking traffic (which some people did yesterday), but it just annoys most people. I dunno.
The activists here can correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't part of the point of that stuff is to annoy people. That is, it's less to persuade and win over than to demonstrate that we have the collective power and will to annoy and otherwise disrupt your life.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 May 2019, 11:18am
The activists here can correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't part of the point of that stuff is to annoy people. That is, it's less to persuade and win over than to demonstrate that we have the collective power and will to annoy and otherwise disrupt your life.
Yeah, exactly. Demand leaders give in so your life can stop being interrupted, basically. It's a huge part of the logic behind the picket line. Grocery clerks (for example) don't need you to agree with them, they just need you to want to get your groceries uninterrupted and without inconvenience.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
22 May 2019, 11:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 May 2019, 11:18am
Yeah, exactly. Demand leaders give in so your life can stop being interrupted, basically. It's a huge part of the logic behind the picket line. Grocery clerks (for example) don't need you to agree with them, they just need you to want to get your groceries uninterrupted and without inconvenience.
Picket lines are one thing, but laying down and blocking traffic is another. I get what it's trying to accomplish, but I think systemic change can bet better done by pounding the pavement and canvassing for the right candidate. At least here in St. Louis, there are a lot of people who are "professional protesters" and do very little else. That's my big beef. Plus, I was very nervous yesterday about some crazy right to lifer plowing into the crowd with a car.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

The problem is that elections only occur at certain times and even electing a candidate you like on the campaign trail is no guarantee they will accomplish their promises in office.

I think both tactics in tandem is the most valid approach.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
22 May 2019, 12:24pm
The problem is that elections only occur at certain times and even electing a candidate you like on the campaign trail is no guarantee they will accomplish their promises in office.

I think both tactics in tandem is the most valid approach.
Good point.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy