101Walterton
The Best

Re: The Fucking Postal Service

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 5:07pm
101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 4:37pm
The story about NZ being "quaint UK" was true, shops closed at midday Saturday, pubs closed at 6pm and women weren't welcome, men wore long socks and sandals to work and everyone lived on a quarter acre section and mowed their lawns on Saturday afternoon. It was like 1950's southern England. Thanks to the EU, NZ aligned more with the US and over the past 20 years or so shot past the UK.
The first year I taught my rock history class, a student wrote a wonderful paper on the Dunedin Sound of southern NZ in the early 80s, and the difficulties of being a tight and supportive community yet ambitious and desiring outside recognition. He tied it to globalization and what it meant for NZ, about access to the world but letting the world have access to NZ. I knew zilch about that scene, so that alone made it enlightening, but more generally it was a smart use of music to explore larger historical problems.
Did alright for Lorde!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 5:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
The story about NZ being "quaint UK" was true, shops closed at midday Saturday, pubs closed at 6pm and women weren't welcome, men wore long socks and sandals to work and everyone lived on a quarter acre section and mowed their lawns on Saturday afternoon. It was like 1950's southern England. Thanks to the EU, NZ aligned more with the US and over the past 20 years or so shot past the UK.
The first year I taught my rock history class, a student wrote a wonderful paper on the Dunedin Sound of southern NZ in the early 80s, and the difficulties of being a tight and supportive community yet ambitious and desiring outside recognition. He tied it to globalization and what it meant for NZ, about access to the world but letting the world have access to NZ. I knew zilch about that scene, so that alone made it enlightening, but more generally it was a smart use of music to explore larger historical problems.
Did alright for Lorde!!
Which, as I recall, was kind of his point. Individual bands may have benefited from international exposure, but what was lost was the community and sense of something distinctly New Zealander.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 5:16pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Did alright for Lorde!!
Which, as I recall, was kind of his point. Individual bands may have benefited from international exposure, but what was lost was the community and sense of something distinctly New Zealander.
AKA the NZ tall poppy syndrome.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 5:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Did alright for Lorde!!
But it is a legitimate and key question, about what distinction you're willing to sacrifice to gain access to the larger group. It can be applied to many different situations and locales, but the NZ example he used was especially effective because of NZ's obvious geographic isolation from the rest of the world.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 5:27pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Did alright for Lorde!!
But it is a legitimate and key question, about what distinction you're willing to sacrifice to gain access to the larger group. It can be applied to many different situations and locales, but the NZ example he used was especially effective because of NZ's obvious geographic isolation from the rest of the world.
Yes it is and I presume he is talking about Flying Nun Records which was a vibrant scene.
Although the bands were doing great on a local scale the population of NZ is too small to make any money and you can't keep playing the same venue. Bands either went to Australia or London but anyone who did well overseas obviously didn't come back (Split Enz, Crowded House) and if you didn't do well you did but were subject to 'tall poppy syndrone'.
It is a catch 22 or at least it was before Youtube!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 5:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Did alright for Lorde!!
Yes it is and I presume he is talking about Flying Nun Records which was a vibrant scene.
Although the bands were doing great on a local scale the population of NZ is too small to make any money and you can't keep playing the same venue. Bands either went to Australia or London but anyone who did well overseas obviously didn't come back (Split Enz, Crowded House) and if you didn't do well you did but were subject to 'tall poppy syndrone'.
Right, Flying Nun! He focused chiefly on a compilation album, Dunedin Double and one band, The Chills. I managed to find a copy online to listen to while I read the paper. Generally pretty good stuff, as I recall.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 5:54pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Right, Flying Nun! He focused chiefly on a compilation album, Dunedin Double and one band, The Chills. I managed to find a copy online to listen to while I read the paper. Generally pretty good stuff, as I recall.
You cant go to a party in NZ without hearing this.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Maybe it's a grower, but first listen … meh.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It stays at the meh level, probably a ‘needed to be there’ song.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Ah, like "World In Motion" (so I am told).

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:24pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Nah that's meh and I was there. Was that the Duranie?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
You had to ask? :lol: Marky may have been his ally in that line of defence, too.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:58pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
You had to ask? :lol: Marky may have been his ally in that line of defence, too.
Found it, to be fair to the Duranie it was more Marky and SM. I think le Heston described it as 'better than what had come before' which is fair comment.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 7:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:58pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Found it, to be fair to the Duranie it was more Marky and SM. I think le Heston described it as 'better than what had come before' which is fair comment.
Well, my apologies to Heston. I guess I just assume he'll always defend awful.

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Playing catch up!, ...certain records/songs can fall into the cultural net, where specifically you're country get the sentiment and the vibe, I don't know when that was released but it sounded like a lighter Beta Band with a tiny slice of early Blur, ..you know parties, alcohol, empathy, speaking from past experience, and doing mobile discos, the later in the evening and the more people have to drink the less their barriers are up and you can get away with playing More radical and leftfield music, it was always a buzz when some one would ask about a non chart tune you were playing...digressing, so N.Z now is pretty much up with 'modern' Culture, surpassing the UK, I think most males from the UK would find it weird or awkward to be in a situation say in NZ where women are treated differently, the film Once were warriors did highlight that cultural difference, in those times being male dominated and machismo, ...I wouldn't last 5 minutes :o) I love music from other cultures I find it really refreshing.
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<