laxman wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 3:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 3:21pm
laxman wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 3:18pm
hairydot61 wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 2:19pm

Yet to catch up with that post apocalyptic epic, at least the fucker delivered old mail, a least they fucking got mail!,
9% on green tomatoes, maybe not then.
I read the book years ago, seem to remember it was alright. I don’t think I have seen the film yet, or if I have then it wasn’t memorable!
It makes Waterworld look like complete garbage. :shifty:
I don’t mind Waterworld, Dennis Hopper is nice and OTT in it.
It's entertaining in a movie junk food kind of way.
I will give it a spin, had a look on Amazon reviews waterworld got half a star more than the postman, I did enjoy the concept of Waterworld and it was fairly well realised apart from the epic battle at the end, I'll go in with an open mind, we all look for different things in films, appreciate the reviews
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Re: The Fucking Postal Service

Post by Spiff »

What the hell are you all talking about in this thread?

A song?

A movie?

A film?
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Spiff wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 11:49am

A song?

A movie?

A film?
The answer song to Please Mr Postman I guess.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Spiff wrote:

A song?

A movie?

A film?
The Brit is talking about a song, the Canadian is talking about a Movie, if theres any Yanks there, their talking about Movies too, the Brits are talking about Films, and I'm talking about Broken Britain and the appalling postal service and how collectors of CDs are getting the short end of the wedge when it comes anything like a quality service, Olaf is just pointing a gun at everybody.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

hairydot61 wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 12:39pm
Spiff wrote:

A song?

A movie?

A film?
The Brit is talking about a song, the Canadian is talking about a Movie, if theres any Yanks there, their talking about Movies too, the Brits are talking about Films, and I'm talking about Broken Britain and the appalling postal service and how collectors of CDs are getting the short end of the wedge when it comes anything like a quality service, Olaf is just pointing a gun at everybody.
:mrgreen:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

hairydot61 wrote:
Spiff wrote:

A song?

A movie?

A film?
Minor correction: I initially was talking about a lame board game.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 3:37pm
hairydot61 wrote:
Spiff wrote:

A song?

A movie?

A film?
Yeah it was me who brought the film into it.

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:
Spiff wrote:

A song?

A movie?

A film?
Ah!, but you digressed ;)

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 3:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:
Spiff wrote:

A song?

A movie?

A film?
Forgot to mention the Kiw!, was obviously trying to multi task!, ...for future ref and as I'm fairly green to the forum are you a naturalised New Zealander or a Manchester Import? :twitch:

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

hairydot61 wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:12am
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:
Spiff wrote:

A song?

A movie?

A film?
Forgot to mention the Kiwi!, was obviously trying to multi task!, ...for future ref and as I'm fairly green to the forum are you a naturalised New Zealander or a Manchester Import? :twitch:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

hairydot61 wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:
Spiff wrote:

A song?

A movie?

A film?
Forgot to mention the Kiw!, was obviously trying to multi task!, ...for future ref and as I'm fairly green to the forum are you a naturalised New Zealander or a Manchester Import? :twitch:
I am an immigrant (like everyone in NZ).
Born in Marky Dread’s manor but call West London home.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

hairydot61 wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:09am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:
Spiff wrote:

A song?

A movie?

A film?
Ah!, but you digressed ;)
Well, just that time … :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:26am
hairydot61 wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:

I would have thought N.Z would have had some indiginous peoples but I'm not that well travelled so wouldn't know, the only thing I think I know is that N.Z is like going back in time a bit, not so much rushing to the future, like quaint U.K, but that was a while ago I heard that....and the Film 'Once were Warriors', which is a brilliant film, very powerful and sad, from your previous posting you like you're reggae, I don't know if you can access BBC 6 music but they are celebrating Trojan Records 50th on monday 26th Aug, I don't know if its specific progs or all day, will have to have a research, hope you like Negus :o)

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

hairydot61 wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 10:16am
101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:26am
hairydot61 wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I would have thought N.Z would have had some indiginous peoples but I'm not that well travelled so wouldn't know, the only thing I think I know is that N.Z is like going back in time a bit, not so much rushing to the future, like quaint U.K, but that was a while ago I heard that....and the Film 'Once were Warriors', which is a brilliant film, very powerful and sad, from your previous posting you like you're reggae, I don't know if you can access BBC 6 music but they are celebrating Trojan Records 50th on monday 26th Aug, I don't know if its specific progs or all day, will have to have a research, hope you like Negus :o)
We all travelled here from somewhere else.
The story about NZ being "quaint UK" was true, shops closed at midday Saturday, pubs closed at 6pm and women weren't welcome, men wore long socks and sandals to work and everyone lived on a quarter acre section and mowed their lawns on Saturday afternoon. It was like 1950's southern England. Thanks to the EU, NZ aligned more with the US and over the past 20 years or so shot past the UK.
Sadly, Once Were Warriors was an accurate depiction of family life in poorer parts of south Auckland.

Thanks for the heads up re Trojan Records I will try and find it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 4:37pm
The story about NZ being "quaint UK" was true, shops closed at midday Saturday, pubs closed at 6pm and women weren't welcome, men wore long socks and sandals to work and everyone lived on a quarter acre section and mowed their lawns on Saturday afternoon. It was like 1950's southern England. Thanks to the EU, NZ aligned more with the US and over the past 20 years or so shot past the UK.
The first year I taught my rock history class, a student wrote a wonderful paper on the Dunedin Sound of southern NZ in the early 80s, and the difficulties of being a tight and supportive community yet ambitious and desiring outside recognition. He tied it to globalization and what it meant for NZ, about access to the world but letting the world have access to NZ. I knew zilch about that scene, so that alone made it enlightening, but more generally it was a smart use of music to explore larger historical problems.