Anarchism, Marxism and Radical Politics

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76430
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Anarchism, Marxism and Radical Politics

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Jul 2018, 12:00pm

Not exactly theory, but more leftist contemporary analysis and advocacy:
Nick Srnicek and Alex Williams, Inventing the Future: Postcapitalism and a World Without Work
Paul Mason, Postcapitalism: A Guide to Our Future
David Harvey, Seventeen Contradictions and the End of Capitalism

They're all quite approachable to the novice, I think.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50404
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Anarchism, Marxism and Radical Politics

Post by Wolter » 16 Jul 2018, 12:00pm

Thanks!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76430
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Anarchism, Marxism and Radical Politics

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Jul 2018, 3:29pm

Oh, shit, one more. The late Mark Fisher's Capitalist Realism: Is There No Alternative? is excellent and important, dealing with the mental struggles we have in getting past capitalism.

Edit: If you've never read his controversial (in left circles) essay, “Exiting the Vampire Castle,” it's well worth the time. It zeroes in on a key failure of the greater left in the last fifty years, emphasizing personal liberation over collective consciousness and action. Which is to say, made leftists more a strain of liberal.
https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdo ... ire-castle
Endut! Hoch Hech!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23255
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: Anarchism, Marxism and Radical Politics

Post by eumaas » 18 Jul 2018, 10:03am

Been feeling appalled at how callous I have become since deep-diving back into Marxism, and I have been swinging back towards anarchist pacifism and personalism. I don't really need the anger, resentment, and indifference to death that seems to well up inside me when I am immersed in the Marxist-Leninist worldview.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76430
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Anarchism, Marxism and Radical Politics

Post by Dr. Medulla » 18 Jul 2018, 10:34am

eumaas wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 10:03am
Been feeling appalled at how callous I have become since deep-diving back into Marxism, and I have been swinging back towards anarchist pacifism and personalism. I don't really need the anger, resentment, and indifference to death that seems to well up inside me when I am immersed in the Marxist-Leninist worldview.
Did you hear the one about the Marxist comedian?
Nope, me neither.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25995
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Anarchism, Marxism and Radical Politics

Post by Flex » 27 Jul 2018, 3:16pm

lol, tankies:
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76430
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Anarchism, Marxism and Radical Politics

Post by Dr. Medulla » 27 Jul 2018, 4:55pm

Flex wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 3:16pm
lol, tankies:
All you have to do is change "ruling class" to "deep state" and, voila, Alex Jones!
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13601
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Anarchism, Marxism and Radical Politics

Post by Silent Majority » 23 Aug 2018, 3:39am

Post Scarcity Anarchism - Murray Bookchin. A few essays on technology, ecology, forms of freedom and the hopefulness of the late sixties, which the book is contemporary to. There's some beautiful writing in here and the closing essay, a comparison of revolutionary organizations, is particularly rewarding. Saying that, on the whole I found the book's reputation to be higher than it deserved. It takes some things for granted without further discussion or explanation and others are put into tedious, drawn out detail. It's a light recommend from me.
Ain't no man in this land
Who gets up and works for fifty grand


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76430
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Anarchism, Marxism and Radical Politics

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Aug 2018, 6:22am

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 3:39am
Post Scarcity Anarchism - Murray Bookchin. A few essays on technology, ecology, forms of freedom and the hopefulness of the late sixties, which the book is contemporary to. There's some beautiful writing in here and the closing essay, a comparison of revolutionary organizations, is particularly rewarding. Saying that, on the whole I found the book's reputation to be higher than it deserved. It takes some things for granted without further discussion or explanation and others are put into tedious, drawn out detail. It's a light recommend from me.
"Post Scarcity"—now there's a term that will emerge as a historically specific blip.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13601
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Anarchism, Marxism and Radical Politics

Post by Silent Majority » 23 Aug 2018, 8:55am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 6:22am
Silent Majority wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 3:39am
Post Scarcity Anarchism - Murray Bookchin. A few essays on technology, ecology, forms of freedom and the hopefulness of the late sixties, which the book is contemporary to. There's some beautiful writing in here and the closing essay, a comparison of revolutionary organizations, is particularly rewarding. Saying that, on the whole I found the book's reputation to be higher than it deserved. It takes some things for granted without further discussion or explanation and others are put into tedious, drawn out detail. It's a light recommend from me.
"Post Scarcity"—now there's a term that will emerge as a historically specific blip.
You're not wrong. Heading towards a situation which will, at first, have similar issues with food and water production as 200 years ago.
Ain't no man in this land
Who gets up and works for fifty grand


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76430
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Anarchism, Marxism and Radical Politics

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Aug 2018, 9:10am

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 8:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 6:22am
Silent Majority wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 3:39am
Post Scarcity Anarchism - Murray Bookchin. A few essays on technology, ecology, forms of freedom and the hopefulness of the late sixties, which the book is contemporary to. There's some beautiful writing in here and the closing essay, a comparison of revolutionary organizations, is particularly rewarding. Saying that, on the whole I found the book's reputation to be higher than it deserved. It takes some things for granted without further discussion or explanation and others are put into tedious, drawn out detail. It's a light recommend from me.
"Post Scarcity"—now there's a term that will emerge as a historically specific blip.
You're not wrong. Heading towards a situation which will, at first, have similar issues with food and water production as 200 years ago.
Fundamentally, all modern ideologies and economics are rooted in the idea of prosperity and how to manage it. The entire idea of progress is measured in the notion of perpetual growth and development. Scarcity has always been a core component of existence, with the exception of the last 200 years, give or take a decade. We thought that we'd evolved past that, like eliminating disease, but like antibiotic-resistant strains, the normal of scarcity will reassert itself. Clinging to ideologies that take as an assumption that access to resources is assured and the only problem is how to enjoy all that ease and luxury is a major intellectual and psychological hurdle.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76430
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Anarchism, Marxism and Radical Politics

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Aug 2018, 4:49pm

Reading this Gang of Four bio—started slowly, but it's emerged as a better-than-usual examination, tho more cultural politics would be better—and learned of a dadaist artist, John Heartfield, whom I'd never heard of. His grandson runs a site dedicated to his work, several of I'll likely by posters of at some point.
https://www.johnheartfield.com/HTML/index.html
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests