Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 9:28am
Low Down Low wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 9:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 8:45am
Low Down Low wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 8:34am

Very true. Indeed I recall celebrating the fact, after Tony Blair had personally intervened to block legislation targetting Rupert Murdoch's aggressive price cutting policies - entirely 100% co-incidentally after Rupes had helped him win the 1997 election - that I could now purchase my Currant Bun daily for the super soaraway price of 10p.
The true measure of freedom is how cheap socks are. It's in the Bible, people!
"And Jesus sayeth unto his people, 'Though you walk through the desert many days and many nights under the oppressively hot sun, you shall not suffer smelly feet as the socketh remain so blessedly cheap'."

- John 56:488
You can spot a Satanist by their alpaca socks.

(Note: I actually do wear alpaca socks because I'm a fancy boy.)
I bought a 3 pair set of alpacas for 20 quid or a bit more a few months back and I'll happily go to hell for the comfort they give me. Socks are possibly the one item of apparel I resist scrimping on as no other bodily area has consistently caused me so much bother which, on the whole, doesn't seem the worst complaint one could have.
I used to wear woolies—very Gen X Canadian—until I discovered alpaca and I could never go back.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Late stage capitalism

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 10:32am
Low Down Low wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 10:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 8:45am

The true measure of freedom is how cheap socks are. It's in the Bible, people!
"And Jesus sayeth unto his people, 'Though you walk through the desert many days and many nights under the oppressively hot sun, you shall not suffer smelly feet as the socketh remain so blessedly cheap'."

I bought a 3 pair set of alpacas for 20 quid or a bit more a few months back and I'll happily go to hell for the comfort they give me. Socks are possibly the one item of apparel I resist scrimping on as no other bodily area has consistently caused me so much bother which, on the whole, doesn't seem the worst complaint one could have.
I used to wear woolies—very Gen X Canadian—until I discovered alpaca and I could never go back.
I'd never wear wool or any kind of thick sock, thinking they'd be too sweaty and smelly, and would stick to thin cottons I'd pick up for a tenner a dozen and then wonder why my feet were raw and aching all the time. Someone then recommended merino wool to me and they were a revelation but the alpaca are even better again. A new lease of life is a fair summation.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 10:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I'd never wear wool or any kind of thick sock, thinking they'd be too sweaty and smelly, and would stick to thin cottons I'd pick up for a tenner a dozen and then wonder why my feet were raw and aching all the time. Someone then recommended merino wool to me and they were a revelation but the alpaca are even better again. A new lease of life is a fair summation.
It really cannot be overstated the value of good socks once (a) you become an old fart and (b) you discover something so comfortable on your feet. I'd kick Kory out of the liferaft over giving up my alpacas.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 10:52am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It really cannot be overstated the value of good socks once (a) you become an old fart and (b) you discover something so comfortable on your feet. I'd kick Kory out of the liferaft over giving up my alpacas.
It's completely killing me that I still can't quite pluck up the necessarily resolve to drop hints to people who remain in the business of buying me gifts to forget all those cd/book tokens or whatever other cool stuff they think i pine for and know they can't go wrong with a luxury pair of socks and/or a nice pair of comfy slippers.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 11:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

It's completely killing me that I still can't quite pluck up the necessarily resolve to drop hints to people who remain in the business of buying me gifts to forget all those cd/book tokens or whatever other cool stuff they think i pine for and know they can't go wrong with a luxury pair of socks and/or a nice pair of comfy slippers.
Seriously. I'm always good with a cardigan, too. I can steal music and ebooks and movies; I'm too scared of getting caught to steal clothes.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 11:06am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Seriously. I'm always good with a cardigan, too. I can steal music and ebooks and movies; I'm too scared of getting caught to steal clothes.
I would probably draw the line at a cardigan tbh. Basically I am most willing to sacrifice personal dignity for comfort but no more than that. The only thing i can think of worse would be a tie.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 11:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I would probably draw the line at a cardigan tbh. Basically I am most willing to sacrifice personal dignity for comfort but no more than that. The only thing i can think of worse would be a tie.
I don't even own a tie! (No, wait, I might have a clip-on bow tie somewhere.)

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 11:50am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Had to think a bit but last time i wore a tie was last wedding i attended which was in 2017 and would have needed help in the application as it's a skill I never acquired in my half century and loose change in existence.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 11:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Had to think a bit but last time i wore a tie was last wedding i attended which was in 2017 and would have needed help in the application as it's a skill I never acquired in my half century and loose change in existence.
I'm a big fan of grandfather shirts for more formal occasions.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 12:08pm
Low Down Low wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 11:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm a big fan of grandfather shirts for more formal occasions.
If the avoid at all costs option has been scuttled or is unavailable for some reason, I would definitely take that as a decent fall back plan.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

This article deletes some of Shah's other comments ("We're expanding our beach house...work more hours!").

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/wayf ... 38718.html

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
22 Dec 2023, 3:20pm
Hello,

This article deletes some of Shah's other comments ("We're expanding our beach house...work more hours!").

He should invoke Boxer from Animal Farm as the ideal. Things worked out pretty well for Boxer, too!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

gkbill wrote:
22 Dec 2023, 3:20pm
Hello,

People like this need to be immediately removed. From their heads.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

They're welcome to the post-apocalypse. I have no interest in "survival" in a world like that.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc