State of the Union...

Post by WestwayKid »

I’m not watching. Discuss...
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: State of the Union...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Better to follow Jefferson's example of sending a report to Congress rather than emulate the egoism of that old racist Wilson holding court.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 8:48pm
Better to follow Jefferson's example of sending a report to Congress rather than emulate the egoism of that old racist Wilson holding court.
What do you think of Joe Kennedy giving the rebuttal? I’ve liked him for a couple of years, but I’ve seen some criticism because he’s seen (by some) as the same old, same old. I really like him, though.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 9:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
What do you think of Joe Kennedy giving the rebuttal? I’ve liked him for a couple of years, but I’ve seen some criticism because he’s seen (by some) as the same old, same old. I really like him, though.
He’s got some incredibly gross ties to the pharma industry and is hideously bad on any illegal drug issues. He can take a leap.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 8:33pm
I’m not watching. Discuss...
I read that and thought it was a weird thing to say and presumed you must have some javelin prejudice or something.
I need glasses 🤓

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
Rebuttal stuff isn't especially meaningful. It's theatre that speaks more to immediate political maneuvering than anything of significance.

Despite my adherence to the left—a jaundiced anarchist, perhaps—I still have an affection for Robert Kennedy and his identification with and empathy for the people most marginalized by power and modern life. I recognize that he had the virtue of dying without having to test those sympathies, but so be it—he remains a weak spot for me. Otherwise, I don't have much use for the Kennedy clan. The first generation of the dynasty makes the money, the second generation achieves power, those that follow squander it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 9:15pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
He’s got some incredibly gross ties to the pharma industry and is hideously bad on any illegal drug issues. He can take a leap.
Good to know and somewhat sad. Oh well...

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

WestwayKid wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 9:22pm
Wolter wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 9:15pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Good to know and somewhat sad. Oh well...
I can admit to being somewhat less informed than I should be. Between being a dad for two small humans and working a full time job - I can be guilty of not digging into the details. I’ve heard some of Kennedy’s rebuttals to the GOP and they make for good soundbites. I really kind of wanted to believe in him and to be honest - I’ll do my own digging tomorrow - but really too bad.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I keep thinking the thread title says "Union of the Snake" and get my hopes up we have a dedicated Duran Duran thread.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 9:43pm
I keep thinking the thread title says "Union of the Snake" and get my hopes up we have a dedicated Duran Duran thread.
A song when Simon LeBon made his claim for winning an award for "Most Singing."

The song you're really thinking of is New Order's "State of the Nation" (which has decent claim to being their weakest single).

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
Dedicated DD thread? I’m a hard core Duranie. My very first concert!

Heston

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 9:52pm
Heston wrote:
I saw them in 83, love the first coupla albums.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 9:59pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
Last album was really good. Might be some technology involved...but Simon’s voice has aged very well. They’re like a rollercoaster: some real weak spells...but always find a way back up. Even the comeback album were hit and miss. Astronaut was okay, Red Carpet had moments...but All You Need Is Now and Paper Gods were really good. They were always a weird hybrid of Berlin-era Bowie, Chic, Roxy, Kraftwerk, Pistols...but they created something unique and through the decades they’ve been able to still sound current. Pressure Off with NIle and Janelle was a great single.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 10:09pm
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
Last album was really good. Might be some technology involved...but Simon’s voice has aged very well. They’re like a rollercoaster: some real weak spells...but always find a way back up. Even the comeback album were hit and miss. Astronaut was okay, Red Carpet had moments...but All You Need Is Now and Paper Gods were really good. They were always a weird hybrid of Berlin-era Bowie, Chic, Roxy, Kraftwerk, Pistols...but they created something unique and through the decades they’ve been able to still sound current. Pressure Off with NIle and Janelle was a great single.
That must be some technology because he couldn’t sing for shit.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 10:31pm
WestwayKid wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 10:09pm
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
That must be some technology because he couldn’t sing for shit.
Lol.

Not sure about that, I think he was ok but had some unflattering moments. He was certainly better than Tony Hadley.