Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Roy Moore Thread

Post by Rat Patrol »

Flex wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 12:00am
I have never, ever said this before in my life, but: way to avoid being a complete disaster, Alabama.
By a mere 1.5% margin, you hesitated for a moment about declaring yourselves the worst place on earth. Good jerb.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Alabama has been upgraded in Fodor's from garbage dump to trash pit.

edit: More seriously, it is very satisfying that the key to this was both victimized women speaking and African-American voters turning out—two key groups that conservatives despise.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

It's a Hanukkah miracle!

Assange is already tweeting about "Illegal Aliens" and dead people voting for Jones.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 11:39am
It's a Hanukkah miracle!

Assange is already tweeting about "Illegal Aliens" and dead people voting for Jones.
Assange and Moore have a shared interest in young girls.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 7:12am
Alabama has been upgraded in Fodor's from garbage dump to trash pit.

edit: More seriously, it is very satisfying that the key to this was both victimized women speaking and African-American voters turning out—two key groups that conservatives despise.
Yes - very satisfying that those two groups really turned out for Jones. I think maybe an important moment in US history as it showed a white evangelical can be beat in the South. As Wolter pointed out - the South is far more diverse than many give it credit for. I know we don't up in Wisconsin - but I also think this election showed us that we need to rethink the South.

This country is so complex. Maybe all countries are like this - I don't know - but it is amazing how regionally divided the US can be. The North distrusts the South. The South distrusts the North. The Midwest distrusts the Coasts. The Coasts think the rest of us don't matter.

Alabama is such a beautiful state. The South in general is beautiful and I've personally never had a bad experience in the South. I drove all the way from Wisconsin to Florida last June. Then again I'm 1) white 2) male 3) straight 4) Protestant.

I'm just happy enough people in Alabama stepped up to shut Moore down. I hope this is harbinger of change. I hope this is an awakening to those in the South who have long felt disenfranchised. It's just good.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
It's a Hanukkah miracle!
On the other hand, the mythical power of Jewish lawyers appears to have been exposed as just another Jewish lie. Time to consult Revelation again to figure this shit out!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 12:17pm
JennyB wrote:
It's a Hanukkah miracle!
On the other hand, the mythical power of Jewish lawyers appears to have been exposed as just another Jewish lie. Time to consult Revelation again to figure this shit out!
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Got a Rake? Sure!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

...but seriously, folks, Alabama is still despair.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 12:15pm
I hope this is harbinger of change. I hope this is an awakening to those in the South who have long felt disenfranchised. It's just good.
I wouldn't read too much into this. It took a truly awful candidate and a lethal scandal … and he still came pretty damned close. Democrats got lucky, in the same way the Trump and the Republicans got lucky that Clinton was the Dems' nominee. If there is a harbinger in all this, it's that, at least for the time being, charges of being a sexual predator are finally more likely to be made public and taken seriously. While no party has a monopoly on creeps, the Republicans enjoy a greater share of likely creeps. All of which, I would hope, reduces the likelihood of electing so many creeps.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Now that Moore lost, I can laugh at this. Yesterday it was just sad.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

One thing that is truly satisfying is that Jones won without capitulating to calls for him to temper his pro-choice stance. In too many states, dems are being encouraged to suppport anti-choice candidate and change their plaforms. I love this quote:

“I’m not in favor of anything that is going to infringe on a woman’s right and her freedom to choose,” Jones said in the MSNBC interview. “That’s just the position that I’ve had for many years. It’s a position I continue to have. But I want to make sure people understand, that once a baby is born, I’m going to be there for that child. That’s where I become a right-to-lifer.”

Such a great dig at the pro-forced birth crowd.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 12:27pm
I wouldn't read too much into this. It took a truly awful candidate and a lethal scandal … and he still came pretty damned close. Democrats got lucky, in the same way the Trump and the Republicans got lucky that Clinton was the Dems' nominee. If there is a harbinger in all this, it's that, at least for the time being, charges of being a sexual predator are finally more likely to be made public and taken seriously. While no party has a monopoly on creeps, the Republicans enjoy a greater share of likely creeps. All of which, I would hope, reduces the likelihood of electing so many creeps.
At the very least, as I think Matt Yglesias of all people noted, this is a reminder that luck works both ways. A little luck got Trump the presidency, and a little luck can swing seats the other way too.

The idea that there's a roadmap to turning the South blue in the near term is folly, but this absolutely was a result of the overwhelming support and turnout among black men and women. Voter access matters a great deal in these kinds of cases.

And agreed that it was great to see Jones not walk back his pro-choice positioning.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 2:13pm
The idea that there's a roadmap to turning the South blue in the near term is folly, but this absolutely was a result of the overwhelming support and turnout among black men and women. Voter access matters a great deal in these kinds of cases.
From a consciousness-raising perspective, this is important to countering the narrative of futility. That's something Ta-Nehisi Coates has stressed about Obama—that he proved a black man could be elected president. It is possible. That's one of things that the racists hated about Obama, that he destroyed that powerful narrative that black people can never succeed. So, in the same way, traditionally marginalized people—people of colour, the poor, women, non-CIS—have been presented with evidence that you can beat an evangelical in the Bible Belt. It is possible. It takes luck, but it also takes people making some of that luck and taking advantage. It's really easy to pooh-pooh consciousness-raising exercises—a victory of the mind, big deal—but it's the ability to naturalize ideological dominance that is key to maintaining power. Breaking that hypnotic spell and realizing that the world is yet in play, that scares the fuck out of authoritarians.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 1:23pm
Now that Moore lost, I can laugh at this. Yesterday it was just sad.

That moment where he blinked. bwahahaha It's like you could see the hamster on the wheel of his mind just stop to catch his breath.