28 Feb 2024, 6:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 6:05pm
Flex wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 3:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 2:52pm
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/ ... h-property

Okay, then, quit your complaining, you rich avocado toast bastards.
I've read stuff like this before and I'm a little skeptical in a couple ways:

1. Obviously this applies only to those in the cohort who stand to inherit property, I only scanned the article but I could see the wealthiest minority inheriting a lot that skews the results for people who stand to inherit much more modest amounts (or nothing);

2. This assumes property won't be sold to pay for elder care, I think? Just my own personal experience, I guess, but so far everyone in my family who's passed away has had to end up selling their house to pay for nursing home care. No one's ever ended up with much of a windfall in the generational wealth transfer department. Maybe that changes as the boomer generation sloughs off the mortal coil, but in a little skeptical that a lot not this generational wealth won't be used to support the elderly over the next couple decades.

Addendum: this isn't meant as a "woe is our generation" post particularly, I'm just a little skeptical that this wealth transfer will quite be as advertised.
Oh yeah, make no mistake, I think the argument from the perspective of generational transfer is horseshit. This has class all over it.
The boomers will be able to die happy knowing they left nothing for anyone except the richest amongst us.
It's unfortunate that climate change is going to shorten the amount of time we have to despise everything the Boomers ever did.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: "What Have Millennials Ruined Today?" Game, presented by Charleston Chew™

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft