Pacifism has failed.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Pacifism has failed.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Listened to most of it on my ride today, finishing up the last bit at my desk. While Lee Fang made some sensible cautionary points about violence—e.g., the role of persuading the great mushy middle, possibly being manipulated by agents provocateur to justify state repression—overall I wasn't impressed with his position. He was seriously hung up on defining Nazis and the risks of attacking non-Nazis out of zeal. Which is to say, a slippery slope concern. Which could be interpreted as him being fine with proactive violence if conditions are right and discipline is in place. He didn't offer a forceful argument for non-violence so much as a warning against violence. There was also some unnecessary attempts to shift the conservation to the dangers of the non-fascist right—corporate power, mainly—as if anyone on the left thinks that the problem is solely a bunch of neo-Nazi goons. George Ciccariello-Maher's arguments weren't especially convincing to me, either, but admittedly that's because of my own pacifist leanings. He's right in asserting a flexible approach—not every tactic works in every situation—but in that kind of discussion I'd like something more constructive and specific. And his advocacy of bringing guns to protests is just an invitation for mayhem. (Sorry I'm not more detailed in assessing their points, but when listening while riding, my attention and memory isn't as dedicated to the listening.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Inspired by Kory and Doc's anti-work provocations, I'm reading back articles of Current Affairs today. This is probably one of the best written critiques of the Left's current no-platforming/antifa consensus that I've read: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/08/ ... d-violence

Addendum: And his follow-up piece: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/08/ ... d-violence
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 5:15pm
Inspired by Kory and Doc's anti-work provocations, I'm reading back articles of Current Affairs today. This is probably one of the best written critiques of the Left's current no-platforming/antifa consensus that I've read: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/08/ ... d-violence

Addendum: And his follow-up piece: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/08/ ... d-violence
A lot to digest there, but it's interesting to see a pragmatist perspective applied there, when it's normally the domain of centrism and regarded pejoratively by left and right. I'll just add (and I think I've made this statement before) that we are not obliged to grant free speech respect to Nazis because one of the foundational principles of democratic nations is reciprocity. Which is to say that political disputes are handled without violence and retribution; one does not lose rights by losing a political disagreement and is allowed to continue to hold the countering point. Nazis reject that principle—never forget that they are contemptuous of both democracy and monarchy—so they have pulled out of that part of the social contract. Accordingly, the rest of us don't have to honour it. It's foolish to grant space and opportunity to people who seek to destroy social and political values we embrace. We are not hypocrites by seeking to shut up those who would eliminate our rights. But how we go about it, as that piece illustrates, is a difficult nut to crack.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Centrists claiming the mantle of pragmatism has long annoyed me. Advocating shitty policy isn't the same as pragmatism. The mark of the centrist is to basically reject what this article is calling for: a clear eyed embrace of a well defined ends. Then, you can analyze the means. But it takes actual moral clarity, something centrism is incapable of, to articulate ends and goals.

Centrism is just starry eyed ideological fantasizing that bipartisan neoliberalism is going to somehow improve people's lives in some undefined way. It's all means. But just getting a bill passed isn't pragmatic in any useful sense of the word.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 12:12am
Centrists claiming the mantle of pragmatism has long annoyed me. Advocating shitty policy isn't the same as pragmatism. The mark of the centrist is to basically reject what this article is calling for: a clear eyed embrace of a well defined ends. Then, you can analyze the means. But it takes actual moral clarity, something centrism is incapable of, to articulate ends and goals.

Centrism is just starry eyed ideological fantasizing that bipartisan neoliberalism is going to somehow improve people's lives in some undefined way. It's all means. But just getting a bill passed isn't pragmatic in any useful sense of the word.
Co-sign.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Wolter wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 12:25am
Flex wrote:

Co-sign.
Which means they should be pistol whipped or, in extreme cases shot.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:

Notably, your description of centrism sounds a lot like libertarianism: rejection of morality in public policy, no concern for ends, a faith that means (free market) will improve people's lives. Which would be suggestive as to where the centre of American politics actually lies now (more so considering that the Cold War centrism was guided by general goals and morality).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I assume this is our catch-all thread for neo-Nazis? Anyway, someone goes undercover in Kory's neighbourhood to hang out with neo-Nazis.
http://www.thestranger.com/news/2017/10 ... convention

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 9:42am
I assume this is our catch-all thread for neo-Nazis? Anyway, someone goes undercover in Kory's neighbourhood to hang out with neo-Nazis.
Amazon moving into Seattle is going to turn Washington into a red state. Mark my words.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 3:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Amazon moving into Seattle is going to turn Washington into a red state. Mark my words.
Isn't it already red outside of Seattle and Olympia? I've met some scary as fuck folks from Spokane.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 4:29pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Isn't it already red outside of Seattle and Olympia? I've met some scary as fuck folks from Spokane.
It is for sure. I'm just saying that Seattle is pretty much the only thing that swings us blue in each election. I think that's going to change with the tech bro influx.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 4:37pm
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It is for sure. I'm just saying that Seattle is pretty much the only thing that swings us blue in each election. I think that's going to change with the tech bro influx.
Gotcha!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 4:55pm
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Gotcha!
I'm worried about where I'm going to live on that day. There's nothing else around here.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 5:42pm
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:

Gotcha!
I'm worried about where I'm going to live on that day. There's nothing else around here.
Do you think the tech bros will invade Seattle itself or will they gravitate toward the east side?
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 9:13am
Kory wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 5:42pm
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Gotcha!
Do you think the tech bros will invade Seattle itself or will they gravitate toward the east side?
They've already been here for a few years. With Amazon firmly planting its base on the north side of downtown, most of the city is being razed to put up new overpriced condos (pushing anybody that doesn't make at least $80k/yr out of the city), and Capitol Hill (formerly the gay haven of the city) has become a hotbed of homophobic violence. Meanwhile, the city government is scrambling to convince Amazon to also station their second base here (they've been looking to have an equal presence in another city), acting like a jealous lover and forgetting that they have a major affordable housing issue that neither party is interested in addressing. Yes, Amazon is good for the city's economy, but not in the slightest for anyone who lived here before The Beast took hold. The whole place is getting fucked.