Unknown Immortal

Limey'lection '17

Post by Rat Patrol » 08 Jun 2017, 8:15am

So besides everyone, who loses today?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Limey'lection '17

Post by Heston » 08 Jun 2017, 10:40am

I've just voted and I was the only one in the polling station, though to be fair it is in an area that makes Beirut look safe.

There seems to be a huge groundswell for Labour at the moment, though I still think the Tories will piss it, unfortunately.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 08 Jun 2017, 11:03am

Question: Do UK elections suffer from structural impediments to voting—stuff that makes it harder for the poor and non-white to vote—as in the US (and, to a lesser degree, Canada)? Just curious whether the Tories (and even Nu Labour) introduced election legislation in the last couple decades to hinder turnout by "undesirables."
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 08 Jun 2017, 11:04am

I'm going with the conventional wisdom: Tories win, but Labour makes an impressive showing relative to expectations. Hard Brexit ensues under May, British economy tanks, Scotland leaves the UK. A thousand years of darkness follow, and then Corbyn squeaks out a win.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston » 08 Jun 2017, 11:10am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 11:03am
Question: Do UK elections suffer from structural impediments to voting—stuff that makes it harder for the poor and non-white to vote—as in the US (and, to a lesser degree, Canada)? Just curious whether the Tories (and even Nu Labour) introduced election legislation in the last couple decades to hinder turnout by "undesirables."
Yes
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 08 Jun 2017, 11:22am

Heston wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 11:10am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 11:03am
Yes
Details?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 08 Jun 2017, 11:24am

Flex wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 11:04am
I'm going with the conventional wisdom: Tories win, but Labour makes an impressive showing relative to expectations. Hard Brexit ensues under May, British economy tanks, Scotland leaves the UK. A thousand years of darkness follow, and then Corbyn squeaks out a win.
Is Tony Bllair thrown into a volcano or shot into the sun?

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 08 Jun 2017, 12:39pm

I have come to understand that Corbyn is the absolute boy and a proper legend according to twitter,,
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 08 Jun 2017, 12:41pm

I never thought I'd have fond feelings for Labour after Iraq. I hope they succeed. Even if they lose, I hope they fuck up the Tories.

Corbyn's also been useful at showing where loyalties lie among the media class.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol » 08 Jun 2017, 12:49pm

Deadlocked Parliament would sure be pants. :meh:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog » 08 Jun 2017, 1:12pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 12:49pm
Oh god, what was the convo where we were first introduced to that limeyism? Was it the BAD obsessive guy being upset about something and calling it "pants?"
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog » 08 Jun 2017, 1:15pm

matedog wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 1:12pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
Oh god, what was the convo where we were first introduced to that limeyism? Was it the BAD obsessive guy being upset about something and calling it "pants?"
Found it: http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... sm#p294244

I miss that guy some days.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 08 Jun 2017, 1:36pm

matedog wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 1:15pm
matedog wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 1:12pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
Found it: http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... sm#p294244

I miss that guy some days.
no more tories then,,,,,,,pants maet

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Low Down Low » 08 Jun 2017, 1:57pm

There have been reports of students from Keele University being turned away at polling stations despite being eligible to vote. The reported problem is in the constituency of Newcastle-under-Lyme where Labour won by just 650 votes from the Conservatives at the last election, in 2015 and where Ukip is not standing this time to boost the Tories’ chances.

From The Guardian. Also lots of reports from eligible overseas voters not receiving their polling credentials despite applying months in advance.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton » 08 Jun 2017, 3:24pm

eumaas wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 12:39pm
I have come to understand that Corbyn is the absolute boy and a proper legend according to twitter,,
He certainly splits opinion there is no middle ground.