The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7971
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by Inder » 25 Jan 2017, 6:01pm

Because holy shit everything is terrible and everyone is bad.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71087
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Jan 2017, 6:08pm

Neoliberalism has been discredited, providing an opening for a resurgent humanist left in mainstream political discourse for the first time in a good forty or fifty years. That ain't full on optimism, but possibility.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49227
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by Wolter » 25 Jan 2017, 6:56pm

I got nothing. All I'm praying for is cleansing fire from heaven.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31897
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by tepista » 25 Jan 2017, 7:13pm

Because those in charge heart's can't beat forever?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14573
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by Rat Patrol » 25 Jan 2017, 7:23pm

A cleansing fire from heaven. Because it's being prayed for, and would prove existence of a more merciful God than Prosperity Jesus.
Image

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6849
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by BostonBeaneater » 25 Jan 2017, 7:29pm

I got a round trip ticket to Guadeloupe from JFK for $160. The food is delicious and the beer is cold. I haven't read a lick of news in a week.
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71087
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Jan 2017, 7:38pm

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:29pm
I got a round trip ticket to Guadeloupe from JFK for $160. The food is delicious and the beer is cold. I haven't read a lick of news in a week.
The last several years I've been telling B that we should retire in Costa Rica. Cheap living and a nation without a standing army. And no shovelling snow in January. I'm not making much headway, tho. Then again, I'm skeptical that I'll actually survive to retirement age (wait, is that optimism or not?).
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14573
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by Rat Patrol » 25 Jan 2017, 7:39pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:38pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:29pm
I got a round trip ticket to Guadeloupe from JFK for $160. The food is delicious and the beer is cold. I haven't read a lick of news in a week.
The last several years I've been telling B that we should retire in Costa Rica. Cheap living and a nation without a standing army. And no shovelling snow in January. I'm not making much headway, tho. Then again, I'm skeptical that I'll actually survive to retirement age (wait, is that optimism or not?).
Consider yourself dissuaded: http://www.govisitcostarica.com/blog/po ... -rica.aspx
Image

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 5006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by Mimi » 25 Jan 2017, 7:42pm

Baseball season is coming.

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7971
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by Inder » 25 Jan 2017, 7:42pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:38pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:29pm
I got a round trip ticket to Guadeloupe from JFK for $160. The food is delicious and the beer is cold. I haven't read a lick of news in a week.
The last several years I've been telling B that we should retire in Costa Rica. Cheap living and a nation without a standing army. And no shovelling snow in January. I'm not making much headway, tho. Then again, I'm skeptical that I'll actually survive to retirement age (wait, is that optimism or not?).
Two married friends of mine quit their jobs and moved to CR a few years ago — they're doing great and loving it there.

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7971
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by Inder » 25 Jan 2017, 7:43pm

Mimi wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:42pm
Baseball season is coming.
Now this I can get behind. 😎👌

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71087
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Jan 2017, 7:54pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:38pm
The last several years I've been telling B that we should retire in Costa Rica. Cheap living and a nation without a standing army. And no shovelling snow in January. I'm not making much headway, tho. Then again, I'm skeptical that I'll actually survive to retirement age (wait, is that optimism or not?).
Consider yourself dissuaded: http://www.govisitcostarica.com/blog/po ... -rica.aspx
Aw, a big kitty cat!
Inder wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:42pm
Two married friends of mine quit their jobs and moved to CR a few years — they're doing great and loving it there.
I just want to die with the sun on my face and rice and black beans in my gaunt stomach.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31897
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by tepista » 25 Jan 2017, 7:56pm

Inder wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:43pm
Mimi wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:42pm
Baseball season is coming.
Now this I can get behind. 😎👌
Last baseball season I was happy for like four days. This year I expect we can DOUBLE that!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71087
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Jan 2017, 8:00pm

tepista wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:56pm
Inder wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:43pm
Mimi wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:42pm
Baseball season is coming.
Now this I can get behind. 😎👌
Last baseball season I was happy for like four days. This year I expect we can DOUBLE that!
You guys always lead the league in playing the game the right way. That's gotta be worth something.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6849
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Post by BostonBeaneater » 25 Jan 2017, 9:49pm

Inder wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:38pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Jan 2017, 7:29pm
I got a round trip ticket to Guadeloupe from JFK for $160. The food is delicious and the beer is cold. I haven't read a lick of news in a week.
The last several years I've been telling B that we should retire in Costa Rica. Cheap living and a nation without a standing army. And no shovelling snow in January. I'm not making much headway, tho. Then again, I'm skeptical that I'll actually survive to retirement age (wait, is that optimism or not?).
Two married friends of mine quit their jobs and moved to CR a few years ago — they're doing great and loving it there.
Costa Rica is past the knife. I was in Colombia last April and have serious thoughts about calling it home. Guadeloupe is pretty sweet. Look up a Bokit sandwich.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests