The Trump observations thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6854
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by BostonBeaneater » 12 Jan 2017, 9:38pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
12 Jan 2017, 5:31pm
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation ... story.html

McDonald's is bringing back its lobster roll!

God exists.
Image

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7976
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Inder » 16 Jan 2017, 3:13pm

lol


Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Jan 2017, 3:15pm

And now the C Street Band smugly waits by the phone …
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14580
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Rat Patrol » 16 Jan 2017, 7:33pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jan 2017, 3:15pm
And now the C Street Band smugly waits by the phone …
Their Clarence is dead too, so they got this in the bag.
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Jan 2017, 7:41pm

Rat Patrol wrote:
16 Jan 2017, 7:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jan 2017, 3:15pm
And now the C Street Band smugly waits by the phone …
Their Clarence is dead too, so they got this in the bag.
Which makes me wonder if any tribute band has been so committed that they'd boot someone out when the real guy dies or leaves the band. C'mon, I've been the Bill Wyman in Mother's Little Helpers: A Rolling Stones Experience for fifteen years!
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6854
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by BostonBeaneater » 16 Jan 2017, 9:18pm

Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Jan 2017, 11:09pm

BostonBeaneater wrote:
16 Jan 2017, 9:18pm
So much to unpack here...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... -1.2947620
Well, conservatives, the market is your god and god has judged your orange boy.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25026
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Flex » 17 Jan 2017, 12:21am

lol
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7382
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Kory » 18 Jan 2017, 6:35pm

I'm having an FB argument with a guy about working for exposure. It's on an article about that hairdresser that was asked by Marla Maples to do her inauguration hair for exposure. The guy I'm arguing that thinks it's equivalent to investing in advertising. My main point:
The threat aside, it's not about whether she needs the business. It's a principle in the creative world that we don't work for free because it's well understood among our community to devalue our individual fields. It's not the same as giving someone a free tan because we have to use creative brainpower in addition to our time. Your world is different from ours. Your argument throughout the thread perfectly illustrates WHY we have to hold fast to this principle because people will try to get around it any way they can.
Is being met with a question about whether I've personally been approached by a celebrity to do work for exposure.

He runs an apartment complex, so he's got a lot of experience to draw from.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 18 Jan 2017, 8:09pm

Kory wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 6:35pm
I'm having an FB argument with a guy about working for exposure. It's on an article about that hairdresser that was asked by Marla Maples to do her inauguration hair for exposure. The guy I'm arguing that thinks it's equivalent to investing in advertising. My main point:
The threat aside, it's not about whether she needs the business. It's a principle in the creative world that we don't work for free because it's well understood among our community to devalue our individual fields. It's not the same as giving someone a free tan because we have to use creative brainpower in addition to our time. Your world is different from ours. Your argument throughout the thread perfectly illustrates WHY we have to hold fast to this principle because people will try to get around it any way they can.
Is being met with a question about whether I've personally been approached by a celebrity to do work for exposure.

He runs an apartment complex, so he's got a lot of experience to draw from.
More practically, is there any evidence that "exposure" like that functions as advertising? Does it actually generate new paying customers? Maybe, but I'm skeptical. Instead, it encourages people to think that they are in a competition to sell their labour for as little as possible. If anything, as you suggest, all that should be regarded as a cautionary tale about how skilled individuals purposefully devalue themselves.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7382
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Kory » 18 Jan 2017, 10:30pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 8:09pm
Kory wrote:
18 Jan 2017, 6:35pm
I'm having an FB argument with a guy about working for exposure. It's on an article about that hairdresser that was asked by Marla Maples to do her inauguration hair for exposure. The guy I'm arguing that thinks it's equivalent to investing in advertising. My main point:
The threat aside, it's not about whether she needs the business. It's a principle in the creative world that we don't work for free because it's well understood among our community to devalue our individual fields. It's not the same as giving someone a free tan because we have to use creative brainpower in addition to our time. Your world is different from ours. Your argument throughout the thread perfectly illustrates WHY we have to hold fast to this principle because people will try to get around it any way they can.
Is being met with a question about whether I've personally been approached by a celebrity to do work for exposure.

He runs an apartment complex, so he's got a lot of experience to draw from.
More practically, is there any evidence that "exposure" like that functions as advertising? Does it actually generate new paying customers? Maybe, but I'm skeptical. Instead, it encourages people to think that they are in a competition to sell their labour for as little as possible. If anything, as you suggest, all that should be regarded as a cautionary tale about how skilled individuals purposefully devalue themselves.
That's exactly the point I've been making to this guy, but he's either trolling me at this point, or he's really damn dense. He wants to see evidence that it DOESN'T generate new customers.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7976
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Inder » 19 Jan 2017, 11:50pm

Seems very unreal watching scads of cops in formation protecting besuited neo-Nazis in DC.

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 5012
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Mimi » 20 Jan 2017, 9:23am

Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy night. :disshame:

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 20 Jan 2017, 9:25am

Mimi wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 9:23am
Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy night. :disshame:
So you're saying it'll be fine by tomorrow?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 5012
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Mimi » 20 Jan 2017, 9:27am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 9:25am
Mimi wrote:
20 Jan 2017, 9:23am
Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy night. :disshame:
So you're saying it'll be fine by tomorrow?
What? You've never seen All About Eve? That's a fine Bette Davis quote right there.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests