Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 8:18pm
Meanwhile, that kid who did nothing to earn his/her candy learns what it's like to be rich. Education for everyone!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 8:26pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Meanwhile, that kid who did nothing to earn his/her candy learns what it's like to be rich. Education for everyone!
Those floors are hideous.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 9:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 8:26pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Those floors are hideous.
Looks like the cheap linoleum squares one might find at Home Depot or something, but considering he's rich, it's probably marble. *gag*

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Don Junior is a scumbag like his dad. I read about this tweet this morning and it made me livid. Sad to use his child to make a point only an elitist creep could make. When so many in America truly live paycheck to paycheck...man...I'm still really angry. I so hope the Russia probe nets Don Junior and his equally horrible brother-in-law.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

This story just makes me unbearably sad: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ers-215800
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 12:57pm
This story just makes me unbearably sad: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ers-215800
I saw that the other day and it made me wonder again about the viability of calling those supporters fascist of some strain. A lot of the elements are there—authoritarianism, anti-intellectualism, racism—but fascism (and communism) have previously been built on something fundamentally hopeful. That is, yes, right now you are being shit upon by the elites, but you are the real goodness and power of society, and together we can set things right in a new society. Both fascists and communists use that basic narrative. But what is it when you have voters who no longer have hope, no longer care whether a candidate is good (meaning capable and/or moral) but just want some kind of expression of or outlet for … what? They care enough to vote but is it a vote for some kind of nihilism? My world sucks and I want your world to suck, too? That goes beyond politics because there is no room to negotiate, no space to argue constructively.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
Next to Bala was a gray-haired man who told me he voted for Trump and was happy so far because “he’s kept his promises.”

I asked which ones.

“Border security.” But there’s no wall yet. “No fault of his,” the man said.

What else? “Getting rid of Obamacare.” But he hasn’t. “Well, he’s tried to.”

What else? “Defunding Planned Parenthood.” But he didn’t. “Not his fault again,” the man said.
I have a lot of sympathy for these people, but shit like this makes me want to just let their town die. Also the very last lines of the article...
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yeah, I should clarify: it's the total sense of nihilism that provokes my feelings in that article. I, also, am pretty sympathetic to the plight of those areas, but that's not really what struck me in this particular story. The unshakable, ugly hopelessness is just... horrible. As Doc says, it doesn't even feel like fascism, exactly. I don't know what it is. Just something totally broken.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I definitely feel sympathy for their lives, but god damn it pisses me off.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:
I just went home to southwest PA this past weekend and, yeah, this mentality is prevalent...even in my own family. :meh: X( :disshame: I like to think I'm a compassionate person, but I have no sympathy whatever for these folks and this area.