The Trump observations thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I hope that whatever Trump does next leads to violence. This country is overdue for a cull.

Build the Wall... on the length of the Hudson.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Drink in this fucking image.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Pure class.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 12:01am
101Walterton wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 6:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 4:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 4:28pm
Can someone please give me a very brief rundown on what the F* is going on as I was overseas when it all kicked off. I know about the wall and the fight over who will pay for it but why are government workers not being paid etc.. :huh:
The most general explanation is that some government departments have to have their funding purposefully extended until a new budget is passed. However, Trump said he wasn't going to sign off on those extensions without funding for his dumb-ass wall. So, once the money officially ran out, the workers were sent home without pay. Mind you, they'll get paid for all the time off once the funding is restored, but in the interim, they're cash flow has dried up. So, unless both houses can pass a spending bill with enough support to override Trump's veto, it's at an impasse. One of those many examples where people from other countries look at what's happening in the US and just shake our head.
So workers contracts are overridden by the date the annual budget expires?
So the Congress passes a budget every year that funds the various govt agencies. However if you work for an agency or in a position that is deemed necessary you still are required to work although you won't get paid. In the past people have always received back pay but this is not guaranteed especially in this current environment. And then there's people who work for companies under gov contracts. The government contracts out a lot of work. No company is going to keep on people who they cant get paid for.

Congress has the power to pass a budget and override a presidential veto but the Republicans are so beholden to Trump and addicted to their power that they wont do it.
This is almost impossible to get your head around, you would think we are talking about some tinpot despot not the United States but then Trump is President of America which puts it all in perspective.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

In case anyone would like to lose their appetite for a few hours:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 7:54am
Drink in this fucking image.
You know all that food is sitting there getting fucking cold too. Nothing better than a 2-hour old Big Mac.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Mueller seems to be not fucking around, I'm happy to see.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 8:16am
Are you referring to Cohen being instructed to lie to Congress or something else?

From a macro perspective, it is fascinating to see how Mueller's team goes about its business in a self-created bubble, ignoring the spectacle of media and politics around them, while everyone else, Trump people and pundits on all sides, squawk away. That kind of cold discipline stands out so much in our short-attention-span, cut-corners environment.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 9:00am
Silent Majority wrote:
Are you referring to Cohen being instructed to lie to Congress or something else?

From a macro perspective, it is fascinating to see how Mueller's team goes about its business in a self-created bubble, ignoring the spectacle of media and politics around them, while everyone else, Trump people and pundits on all sides, squawk away. That kind of cold discipline stands out so much in our short-attention-span, cut-corners environment.
Yes to both. In Woodward's book there's a lovely bit about some overconfident Trump associate who believes Mueller and his team to be idiots with nothing and decides to open up communication lines for the benefit of the White House. Never enters his head that a long game may be being played.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 10:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Yes to both. In Woodward's book there's a lovely bit about some overconfident Trump associate who believes Mueller and his team to be idiots with nothing and decides to open up communication lines for the benefit of the White House. Never enters his head that a long game may be being played.
The classic bozo move of assuming everyone is as shallow as you … but you're nevertheless better than them.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I still marvel that a team that is this dumb managed to win the highest position of power, arguably in the world.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

matedog wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 11:24am
I still marvel that a team that is this dumb managed to win the highest position of power, arguably in the world.
Not a meritocracy, sadly

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

"better to be dumb than good" - flex's personal electoral credo
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 11:46am
matedog wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 11:24am
Not a meritocracy, sadly
Without an electoral system rooted in white supremacy, he doesn't sniff the White House. That his campaign was guided by white supremacy is apt historical poetry.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I was just thinking about this and it is fascinating - that Mueller and his team are quietly and diligently working away while this storm is raging around them. That "kind of cold discipline" should be scaring the hell out of Trump right now.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble