The Trump observations thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 6:58am
God, but I hope the Dems don't give into Trump's bullying around the shutdown and give him wall money.
Aye. The hope is that enough Senate Republicans start to freak out and that creates enough momentum there. But the Democrats' inclination to, gosh shucks, do the right thing and give the other side 90% of what they want is historically strong.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 7:19am
Silent Majority wrote:
God, but I hope the Dems don't give into Trump's bullying around the shutdown and give him wall money.
Aye. The hope is that enough Senate Republicans start to freak out and that creates enough momentum there. But the Democrats' inclination to, gosh shucks, do the right thing and give the other side 90% of what they want is historically strong.
They seem to be holding firm on this one. There's 2 GOP Sens whining at McConnell to cave, curbing Schumer's tendency to self-own. And for all that's awful about Pelosi once she's got a whip count in hand she guards it like an attack dog.

With Trump now claiming he can declare a state of emergency to build the wall (a hee-larious self-own because he'd have to raid the Pentagon budget ONLY--who majority of Americans think has too much money to begin with--and lose all leverage over the shutdown)...I think they're just going to play stopped-clock and wait for him to inadvertently hand over the resolution.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Rat Patrol wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 10:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 7:19am
Silent Majority wrote:
They seem to be holding firm on this one. There's 2 GOP Sens whining at McConnell to cave, curbing Schumer's tendency to self-own. And for all that's awful about Pelosi once she's got a whip count in hand she guards it like an attack dog.

With Trump now claiming he can declare a state of emergency to build the wall (a hee-larious self-own because he'd have to raid the Pentagon budget ONLY--who majority of Americans think has too much money to begin with--and lose all leverage over the shutdown)...I think they're just going to play stopped-clock and wait for him to inadvertently hand over the resolution.
It would be a very interesting development if he decided to declare a state of emergency. I've read differing perspectives on whether or not he could actually do this, but either way - it will be a mess. How does he prove there is an actual emergency (and does he even have to)? I think that is where it hinges - if he declares an emergency and circumvents Congress - he's going to be in hot water with a lot of people. Dems really need to hold firm on this. They need to wait him out because my hunch is that he'll do something rash and stupid if they give him enough time...or should I say if they give him enough rope!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's kinda mouthwatering, the thought that Trump is so undisciplined that he'd be unable to deliver an Oval Office teleprompter statement without ad libbing and going well off the rails.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Next shoe drops: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/le ... nal&wpmk=1

Shoe warehouse continues to restock for future news...
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 3:50pm

It's an impossible physical reality—a barrel with no bottom.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 4:29pm
Flex wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 3:50pm

It's an impossible physical reality—a barrel with no bottom.
...sigh...
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A week or so ago, I read a snippet from someone who has written a book about Trump who said that there was no way he'd consider a deal until the shutdown reached record length. Perverse as it is, being involved in only the 2nd or 3rd longest shutdown would gnaw at his mouse brain. Now that he's got the record, he'll be more amenable to cutting some kind of deal that gives him the veneer of success.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Can someone please give me a very brief rundown on what the F* is going on as I was overseas when it all kicked off. I know about the wall and the fight over who will pay for it but why are government workers not being paid etc.. :huh:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 4:28pm
Can someone please give me a very brief rundown on what the F* is going on as I was overseas when it all kicked off. I know about the wall and the fight over who will pay for it but why are government workers not being paid etc.. :huh:
The most general explanation is that some government departments have to have their funding purposefully extended until a new budget is passed. However, Trump said he wasn't going to sign off on those extensions without funding for his dumb-ass wall. So, once the money officially ran out, the workers were sent home without pay. Mind you, they'll get paid for all the time off once the funding is restored, but in the interim, they're cash flow has dried up. So, unless both houses can pass a spending bill with enough support to override Trump's veto, it's at an impasse. One of those many examples where people from other countries look at what's happening in the US and just shake our head.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 4:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
The most general explanation is that some government departments have to have their funding purposefully extended until a new budget is passed. However, Trump said he wasn't going to sign off on those extensions without funding for his dumb-ass wall. So, once the money officially ran out, the workers were sent home without pay. Mind you, they'll get paid for all the time off once the funding is restored, but in the interim, they're cash flow has dried up. So, unless both houses can pass a spending bill with enough support to override Trump's veto, it's at an impasse. One of those many examples where people from other countries look at what's happening in the US and just shake our head.
So workers contracts are overridden by the date the annual budget expires?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 6:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I don't know how civil servant contracts are structured, so I can't say whether something is being overridden. But it's a structure that subsumes neutral public service to political game playing, which is reprehensible. The idea of these services running out of money is ludicrous.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 6:57pm
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I don't know how civil servant contracts are structured, so I can't say whether something is being overridden. But it's a structure that subsumes neutral public service to political game playing, which is reprehensible. The idea of these services running out of money is ludicrous.
*shaking head*

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
So the Congress passes a budget every year that funds the various govt agencies. However if you work for an agency or in a position that is deemed necessary you still are required to work although you won't get paid. In the past people have always received back pay but this is not guaranteed especially in this current environment. And then there's people who work for companies under gov contracts. The government contracts out a lot of work. No company is going to keep on people who they cant get paid for.

Congress has the power to pass a budget and override a presidential veto but the Republicans are so beholden to Trump and addicted to their power that they wont do it.