The Trump observations thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 7:28pm
Wow. When you see one brain fart after another like that, it's kinda sad. And funny. Because I hate him.
Well, he is evil after all.

When I was an undergrad, there was one used bookstore I went to a lot. One of the people who worked there was a sociology sessional prof (i.e., not tenured). One time when I was in there, I bought a copy of Robert Caro's first volume of his LBJ biography. This guy, I learned, was American, a draft dodger who came to Canada in the 60s. He told me that when LBJ died, he and his friend cracked open a bottle of champagne to celebrate. I thought at the time that was an over-reaction—yes, Vietnam was monstrous, but LBJ had expended more political capital on civil rights and poverty than any other president; even today, I'm conflicted on LBJ—but when I think about Trump I come back to that guy. And I know, without a doubt, that I will celebrate Trump's death like people celebrated Hitler's death.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 8:04pm
Mimi wrote:
Wow. When you see one brain fart after another like that, it's kinda sad. And funny. Because I hate him.

When I was an undergrad, there was one used bookstore I went to a lot. One of the people who worked there was a sociology sessional prof (i.e., not tenured). One time when I was in there, I bought a copy of Robert Caro's first volume of his LBJ biography. This guy, I learned, was American, a draft dodger who came to Canada in the 60s. He told me that when LBJ died, he and his friend cracked open a bottle of champagne to celebrate. I thought at the time that was an over-reaction—yes, Vietnam was monstrous, but LBJ had expended more political capital on civil rights and poverty than any other president; even today, I'm conflicted on LBJ—but when I think about Trump I come back to that guy. And I know, without a doubt, that I will celebrate Trump's death like people celebrated Hitler's death.
Yeah, I'll probably smile or do a fist pump.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 4:22pm
Bah, fake news, everybody knows people are saying he's a stable genius. :lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

It will be celebrated the world over, like Thatcher and Reagan.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 10:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

It will be celebrated the world over, like Thatcher and Reagan.
I suspect it’ll be much more intensely celebrated, both because of his evil and that his death is likely closer than theirs from their time of destruction. They both dropped out of sight, too, before being called back to hell.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

More from the liquid brain of our orange god: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 01342.html

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://newrepublic.com/post/179203/tru ... ment-delay

On the one hand, it's the default Trump ploy to delay and deny. But on the other hand, it's also his default to exaggerate his wealth, including, presumably, how liquid that wealth is. So, yeah, I think it's entirely plausible that he flat out doesn't have the cash to pay the penalty or post the bond for appeal.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://whowhatwhy.org/politics/us-poli ... can-party/

Posting mainly for the amusing metaphor, but I'm dubious about the idea of "if only Trump weren't such a boob …." I'm not convinced that the public role can't not be such a boob, and an authentic one at that. Someone smarter doesn't sell themselves to the base like Trump because the base is suspicious of anyone vaguely intelligent or competent in governance.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 12:51pm

Posting mainly for the amusing metaphor, but I'm dubious about the idea of "if only Trump weren't such a boob …." I'm not convinced that the public role can't not be such a boob, and an authentic one at that. Someone smarter doesn't sell themselves to the base like Trump because the base is suspicious of anyone vaguely intelligent or competent in governance.
Hello,

To the author's point about the GOP becoming a dwindling minority, I'm afraid I've long given up the belief that 1 person, 1 vote holds true in the US given Citizens United and gerrymandering.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 1:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

To the author's point about the GOP becoming a dwindling minority, I'm afraid I've long given up the belief that 1 person, 1 vote holds true in the US given Citizens United and gerrymandering.
Perhaps, but I'm not a fan of reading inevitable futures from the present when it comes to politics. I've said this before, but political prognostication tends to rest on the idea of the future being like the present but more so. History, however, is not a steady line, but full of strange zigs and zags that can overturn conventional truth.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 2:11pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Perhaps, but I'm not a fan of reading inevitable futures from the present when it comes to politics. I've said this before, but political prognostication tends to rest on the idea of the future being like the present but more so. History, however, is not a steady line, but full of strange zigs and zags that can overturn conventional truth.
Hell, we've seen election results get seriously out of whack with past performance and predictions as recently as our last national election cycle. The post-roe electorate rewired the 2020 results and that may carry through again this cycle. Shit seems inevitable until it isn't.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 3:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 2:11pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Hell, we've seen election results get seriously out of whack with past performance and predictions as recently as our last national election cycle. The post-roe electorate rewired the 2020 results and that may carry through again this cycle. Shit seems inevitable until it isn't.
The two examples I've used when talking about the dangers of prediction is (1) the 1964 election, which seemed to confirm an ambitious welfare state liberalism had been confirmed, but then Vietnam, the Civil Rights Movement, and the counterculture ripped that up; and (2) three successive Republican landslides in the 1920s seemed to confirm laissez faire capitalism and then the Great Depression and World War II brought about an interventionist govt in ways that few could have predicted. At the end of the 50s and in the 90s, two separate scholars (Daniel Bell and Francis Fukuyama) wrote books declaring an end of ideology and a confirmation of the existing order. In each case, within a decade they'd be proven entirely wrong. History is good for lots of things, but not so much at prediction.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

It's gotta be the shoes. :lol:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Apparently he's not the "billionaire" he claims to be. Guess he's going to have to hawk some more hideous sneakers and ridiculous trading cards.

Trump and his lawyers admitted today that he's broke and can't pay the bond in the New York fraud case. :mrgreen:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump- ... eb%2028%20