The Trump observations thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 8:13pm
Seriously? You've got to be kidding me. If he follows through on this threat, he's going to have to shit out some proof of "fraud".

https://www.salon.com/2022/07/27/threat ... efamation/
It's just about headlines, nothing else. Identify the enemy, identify the victim, grift the gullible.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 8:28pm
Sparky wrote:
Seriously? You've got to be kidding me. If he follows through on this threat, he's going to have to shit out some proof of "fraud".

It's just about headlines, nothing else. Identify the enemy, identify the victim, grift the gullible.
He's just trying to play the victim card as always.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Sparky wrote:

He's a nutcase.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Mimi wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 10:42pm
Sparky wrote:

He's a nutcase.
Hello,

This came to mind:

The key word in the article is subjectively. If I give students an exam and they subjectively believe their answer is correct, who am I to say their response is incorrect?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 12:27pm
Mimi wrote:
Sparky wrote:

He's a nutcase.
Hello,

This came to mind:

The key word in the article is subjectively. If I give students an exam and they subjectively believe their answer is correct, who am I to say their response is incorrect?
It's been said that Lyndon Johnson was so successful as a politician because he truly believed ever lie he told while speaking them. So there was sincerity in no matter the bullshit he was spewing.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Sparky wrote:

He's a nutcase.
Hello,

This came to mind:

Yep, that's the entire premise of everything Trump has been saying about the "stolen" election BS. He believes it, so it must be so, if he repeats it often enough, his minions will believe it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 1:16pm
gkbill wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Sparky wrote:

He's a nutcase.
Hello,

This came to mind:

It's been said that Lyndon Johnson was so successful as a politician because he truly believed ever lie he told while speaking them. So there was sincerity in no matter the bullshit he was spewing.
Yeah, the sincerity is the key, i think. Which is why Jerry folded like a cheap suit when they attached the lie detector leads to him. He had seen Melrose Place and it all came tumbling out of him. But seriously, i can never fathom why Tony Blair could fool so many people, and continue to do so, because everything he says and does just oozes transparent insincerity to me. That smug smirk that appears is always an instant giveaway. Trump i think truly believes every word he says, ultimate narcissist and complete lack of personal responsibility or ability to self reflect.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 10:34am
But seriously, i can never fathom why Tony Blair could fool so many people, and continue to do so, because everything he says and does just oozes transparent insincerity to me. That smug smirk that appears is always an instant giveaway. Trump i think truly believes every word he says, ultimate narcissist and complete lack of personal responsibility or ability to self reflect.
I wonder if it's comparable to what George Carlin said of Bill Clinton:
The American people like their bullshit right up front, where they can get a good, strong whiff of it. Clinton might be full of shit, but at least he lets you know it. Dole tried to hide it, didn't he? Dole kept saying, "I'm a plain and honest man." Bullshit! People don't believe that. What did Clinton say? He said, "Hi, folks! I'm completely full of shit, and how do you like that?" And the people said, "You know something? At least he's honest!"

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 11:24am
Low Down Low wrote:
But seriously, i can never fathom why Tony Blair could fool so many people, and continue to do so, because everything he says and does just oozes transparent insincerity to me. That smug smirk that appears is always an instant giveaway. Trump i think truly believes every word he says, ultimate narcissist and complete lack of personal responsibility or ability to self reflect.
The American people like their bullshit right up front, where they can get a good, strong whiff of it. Clinton might be full of shit, but at least he lets you know it. Dole tried to hide it, didn't he? Dole kept saying, "I'm a plain and honest man." Bullshit! People don't believe that. What did Clinton say? He said, "Hi, folks! I'm completely full of shit, and how do you like that?" And the people said, "You know something? At least he's honest!"
Oh yeah, the honest liars, there's definitely a whole lot in that i think. As for clinton, i hate that guy and his wife and their entire political and financial network so much, i can hardly conceive of a time when he might have taken him in, but there probably was all the same. Probably with Blair too, if I'm honest (in a truly sincere way!)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 11:31am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Oh yeah, the honest liars, there's definitely a whole lot in that i think. As for clinton, i hate that guy and his wife and their entire political and financial network so much, i can hardly conceive of a time when he might have taken him in, but there probably was all the same. Probably with Blair too, if I'm honest (in a truly sincere way!)
As much as I loathe Clinton, he is the most charismatic politician of his generation. I've told this story before, but my brother-in-law is ex-Canadian military, and in his final stint he was stationed Washington, DC, teaching American officers. This was right after Clinton finished his second term. He was invited to speak before these officers and, politically and personally, they were not fans of his, to put it mildly (this includes my b-i-l). But when he entered the room, the hostility melted away instantaneously. My b-i-l said he'd never experienced anything like it—the guy just mesmerized. It was on some kind of primal level. Yes, he's developed his technique and all that, but the guy won over a group of hostile men without saying a word.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 11:43am
Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 11:31am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
As much as I loathe Clinton, he is the most charismatic politician of his generation. I've told this story before, but my brother-in-law is ex-Canadian military, and in his final stint he was stationed Washington, DC, teaching American officers. This was right after Clinton finished his second term. He was invited to speak before these officers and, politically and personally, they were not fans of his, to put it mildly (this includes my b-i-l). But when he entered the room, the hostility melted away instantaneously. My b-i-l said he'd never experienced anything like it—the guy just mesmerized. It was on some kind of primal level. Yes, he's developed his technique and all that, but the guy won over a group of hostile men without saying a word.
Ages since i watched it, but i thought Travolta did a very good Clinton impression in Primary Colors, seemed spot on to me anyway. And, on a much lower level obviously, i have witnessed this kind of thing in the flesh, watching politicians working a room with that kind of magnetic appeal, oozing the common touch with every word and gesture. Which, going back to Trump, is curious, because he has the same ability to draw people in without having any of the usual qualities i would ascribe to charisma or magnetism. In fact, it sometimes almost seems the polar opposite of it which maybe is the point, making him seem earthier and more authentic than he really is, but honestly, I'm just kind of babbling here.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 12:36pm
Which, going back to Trump, is curious, because he has the same ability to draw people in without having any of the usual qualities i would ascribe to charisma or magnetism. In fact, it sometimes almost seems the polar opposite of it which maybe is the point, making him seem earthier and more authentic than he really is, but honestly, I'm just kind of babbling here.
Trump is bizarre to me because he seems devoid of all charisma, tho apparently there must be something there. If there's an appeal, it's as some kind of id monster, speaking openly his crudest lusts and hates, so there's a vicarious thrill of hearing that. I dunno.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 1:35pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Which, going back to Trump, is curious, because he has the same ability to draw people in without having any of the usual qualities i would ascribe to charisma or magnetism. In fact, it sometimes almost seems the polar opposite of it which maybe is the point, making him seem earthier and more authentic than he really is, but honestly, I'm just kind of babbling here.
Trump is bizarre to me because he seems devoid of all charisma, tho apparently there must be something there. If there's an appeal, it's as some kind of id monster, speaking openly his crudest lusts and hates, so there's a vicarious thrill of hearing that. I dunno.
If you're perplexed, then i have no hope at all. No amount of Louis Theroux American road trips or reading Trump books or Hillbilly Elegy or whatever has brought me any closer to comprehending the grip this total moron has on such large swathes of people. Maybe some historians will unpick it in, like, 30 years time and I'm just hanging on with my wits sufficiently intact to absorb it.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Money makes people attractive.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 3:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Money makes people attractive.
I don't think that's what's at work here. Like, Steve Forbes was stupid rich and he bombed as a candidate, so did Bloomberg. I guess Trump exudes that crude fantasy of what his dimwit supporters think they'd do if they had his money—torment and abuse others. There is zero noblesse oblige with him, which fits the "fuck you, asshole!" mentality of the base.