The Trump observations thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Curious, I checked to see if Alexander Butterfield—the Nixon aide who officially revealed the existence of the White House taping system—was still alive. He is—in his mid-90s—and, if he's still got his marbles, he must be getting some deja vu.

The idea of Rudy going to jail is scrumpdilicious, especially because you know he'd bawl like the "fresh fish" prisoner at the start of Shawshank who gets clubbed to death.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 9:51am
Curious, I checked to see if Alexander Butterfield—the Nixon aide who officially revealed the existence of the White House taping system—was still alive. He is—in his mid-90s—and, if he's still got his marbles, he must be getting some deja vu.

The idea of Rudy going to jail is scrumpdilicious, especially because you know he'd bawl like the "fresh fish" prisoner at the start of Shawshank who gets clubbed to death.
I'd make a poster of Rudy being taken into Federal custody and put it in my rec room!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 7:20pm
Flex wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 7:12pm
Meaning he's going to stroke out? $100 to the church of your choice if it happens asap.
He's going to resign in the next year and die of a heart attack a year or two after. I'd put good money on that.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 10:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Meaning he's going to stroke out? $100 to the church of your choice if it happens asap.
He's going to resign in the next year and die of a heart attack a year or two after. I'd put good money on that.
In some former Soviet republic where there's no extradition treaty with the US. If he resigns, which I think is more than plausible (as I said on the previous page), even if he gets a Ford-like pardon, that doesn't cover the state charges. At this point, it's far from inconceivable that he goes the exiled dictator route and flees "deep state persecution" for some authoritarian regime.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 10:23am
matedog wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 10:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
In some former Soviet republic where there's no extradition treaty with the US. If he resigns, which I think is more than plausible (as I said on the previous page), even if he gets a Ford-like pardon, that doesn't cover the state charges. At this point, it's far from inconceivable that he goes the exiled dictator route and flees "deep state persecution" for some authoritarian regime.
I've said this before, but I just really hope his brand becomes completely toxic before he dies. I want him to be alive to see that.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I think the only chances of any kind of post-office reckoning are if Warren or Sanders are elected president. You need a willingness at the top to root out this kind of malignancy on a structural level, and only those two have evinced any understanding of how all of this even works. Litigating the Trump years post-Trump is the opposite of the ReTuRn To NoRmAlCy brand the rest of the Dems are putting out (and especially Biden). Whether we reckon with Trumpism or not post-Trump will be the deciding factor in whether our country takes real strides to snuff it out or we just let it fester and remanifest in its next, even worse, mutation.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 11:59am
I think the only chances of any kind of post-office reckoning are if Warren or Sanders are elected president. You need a willingness at the top to root out this kind of malignancy on a structural level, and only those two have evinced any understanding of how all of this even works. Litigating the Trump years post-Trump is the opposite of the ReTuRn To NoRmAlCy brand the rest of the Dems are putting out (and especially Biden). Whether we reckon with Trumpism or not post-Trump will be the deciding factor in whether our country takes real strides to snuff it out or we just let it fester and remanifest in its next, even worse, mutation.
Well put. I was going to add a few lines to that effect when I replied to you yesterday. Sanders or Warren are the only ones I trust to actually care about this, but apart from the usual policy proposals and all (health care, etc), they need to spearhead a genuine effort at civic cultural revival that has been gutted by both parties' commitment to neoliberalism. That effort has to take place within government and have an educational component with society at large. It took over a generation for the selfish rot to infect American civic cultural and will take longer to overcome, but it has to be started otherwise it's figurative deck chair moving.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I have zero faith that justice will be done.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:01pm
What is your definition of justice in this case?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:03pm
Silent Majority wrote:
A single term Trump presidency.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
One way or another—resignation or election—I believe that quite likely. I don't need to reiterate my argument about why his re-election is so damned tough, but I will say that I haven't seen anything in the last month or so that suggests his prospects have improved. It's a weird community here where, unlike the real world, I get to be the Pollyanna. :cool:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Curious what the numbers have to move to for Senate Republicans to feel comfortable politically with cutting him loose. I recall reading a piece maybe a year ago about the solidity of Trump's standing with the base. The author argued that, in fact, there are very few "to the death" supporters of any politician. He used the example of how Nixon was likewise solid with Republicans, that they saw it all as a liberal plot, etc etc, and would never leave Dick. And then in the summer of '74, shit just crumbled and fast. So we shouldn't be too confident with the idea that his base will never desert him, that that, in fact, is part of his illusion of power. Maybe. I'll believe it when I see it.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 2:05pm

Curious what the numbers have to move to for Senate Republicans to feel comfortable politically with cutting him loose. I recall reading a piece maybe a year ago about the solidity of Trump's standing with the base. The author argued that, in fact, there are very few "to the death" supporters of any politician. He used the example of how Nixon was likewise solid with Republicans, that they saw it all as a liberal plot, etc etc, and would never leave Dick. And then in the summer of '74, shit just crumbled and fast. So we shouldn't be too confident with the idea that his base will never desert him, that that, in fact, is part of his illusion of power. Maybe. I'll believe it when I see it.
I would imagine they would much rather see Pence as president. As would their evangelical base.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 2:23pm
I would imagine they would much rather see Pence as president. As would their evangelical base.
Deep down, definitely—unlike Trump, he rose thru the GOP congressional incubation chamber. But politically Pence is seriously wounded by his extreme toadying, and piety has been exposed as bullshit to the evangelical base given their devotion to Trump. Pence would be a serious lame duck if it falls into his lap.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:46pm
Silent Majority wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 1:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
One way or another—resignation or election—I believe that quite likely. I don't need to reiterate my argument about why his re-election is so damned tough, but I will say that I haven't seen anything in the last month or so that suggests his prospects have improved. It's a weird community here where, unlike the real world, I get to be the Pollyanna. :cool:
Is it because you're Canadian?