The Future of the Democratic Party

Politics and other such topical creams.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 6:50am
Theory: When he died, Reagan's addle-minded soul migrated into Joe Biden. He really seems as confused as Reagan did from around '84 onward. I'm seriously skeptical that he'll be relevant by Iowa.
It seems like so many Dems still LOVE him, however... :huh:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 8:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Theory: When he died, Reagan's addle-minded soul migrated into Joe Biden. He really seems as confused as Reagan did from around '84 onward. I'm seriously skeptical that he'll be relevant by Iowa.
It seems like so many Dems still LOVE him, however... :huh:
There are other corporate liberals available who don't act like they wear velcro shoes and yell at the tv machine while watching Judge Judy.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Something that might amuse—nay, titillate—only SM here, but a friend of mine is moving down to D.C. He and his wife were looking for apartments to rent, and one they looked at (but didn't select) was once occupied by Lyndon Johnson (presumably in the 40s or 50s). When he told me this, I said, "You could have lived in LBJ's fuckpad!" It would have guaranteed that I'd come down to visit, just to be in the same space where he did many terrible, terrible things.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's insane to me that the Consensus is that Biden did fine last night. He looked and sounded like a confused old man - which he was.

Sanders and Warren should be able to slaughter him in the next debate, but I'm skeptical it will matter.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 9:20am
Something that might amuse—nay, titillate—only SM here, but a friend of mine is moving down to D.C. He and his wife were looking for apartments to rent, and one they looked at (but didn't select) was once occupied by Lyndon Johnson (presumably in the 40s or 50s). When he told me this, I said, "You could have lived in LBJ's fuckpad!" It would have guaranteed that I'd come down to visit, just to be in the same space where he did many terrible, terrible things.
Safe to say, he probably doesn't have the biggest dick of anyone that lived there.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 10:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Safe to say, he probably doesn't have the biggest dick of anyone that lived there.
They didn't take the place, but, yes, LBJ reportedly had a massive hog. Which was another thing that he hated about JFK—that he got so many more women with less under the hood.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 10:33am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
They didn't take the place, but, yes, LBJ reportedly had a massive hog. Which was another thing that he hated about JFK—that he got so many more women with less under the hood.
Classic male mentality. "My huge dick should be enough to woo any woman."

That's far and away my favorite LBJ factoid.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 12:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 10:33am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Classic male mentality. "My huge dick should be enough to woo any woman."
LBJ may have been the most inwardly insecure fucker to ever achieve the presidency. Immensely talented yet all he ever saw was how people thought him inferior.
That's far and away my favorite LBJ factoid.
I've shared this one many times, but it's always worthwhile returning to:
viewtopic.php?t=10285&start=465#p482322

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 10:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's insane to me that the Consensus is that Biden did fine last night. He looked and sounded like a confused old man - which he was.

Sanders and Warren should be able to slaughter him in the next debate, but I'm skeptical it will matter.
I heard he called Cory Booker the next president or something.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
That'd be exactly my Washington place if I had fuck you money
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

If Biden wins he'd also be 81 at the start of a potential second term. Age is one of my massive, massive reservations with Sanders and it's as true with Biden. Comparing to my own life, all of my grandparents at 81 were either dead or starting to slip into the throes of dementia. There's no way Biden (or, again, Sanders) is physically capable of serving two full terms with full mental acuity. Which, in the purest sense of defeating Trump (he who has the brain of fetid pudding) in 2020 may not matter, but if we don't want President Nikki Haley or whatever in 2024, it might be worth contemplating for all these Electability Or Bust folks.

He looked like an old guy whose mental faculties are, well, those of a septuagenarian. Every day we see Biden, we see him at the sharpest he'll ever be again.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 12:56pm
If Biden wins he'd also be 81 at the start of a potential second term. Age is one of my massive, massive reservations with Sanders and it's as true with Biden. Comparing to my own life, all of my grandparents at 81 were either dead or starting to slip into the throes of dementia. There's no way Biden (or, again, Sanders) is physically capable of serving two full terms with full mental acuity. Which, in the purest sense of defeating Trump (he who has the brain of fetid pudding) in 2020 may not matter, but if we don't want President Nikki Haley or whatever in 2024, it might be worth contemplating for all these Electability Or Bust folks.

He looked like an old guy whose mental faculties are, well, those of a septuagenarian. Every day we see Biden, we see him at the sharpest he'll ever be again.
Funny, but sadly true. None of these jobs, and the degree of effort required to do them reasonably competently, were ever conceived for people in their 70s or beyond. If it makes sense that someone under 35 lacks sufficient experience to be president, it seems perfectly reasonable to say that someone over the age of 70 lacks the vitality for it. We all know now that Reagan was indeed suffering from dementia in his second term, and Trump, having lived a long life of arrested development, is also dim. I wonder what kind of support a constitutional amendment would have for excluding presidents and Supreme Court justices from serving over the age of 70.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-bide ... b57fcd5486

I confess, Biden's "fuck you, you whiny shitheads" stance towards young voters is bold. Luckily, the Democrats won't need young voters in 2020.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Funny, but sadly true. None of these jobs, and the degree of effort required to do them reasonably competently, were ever conceived for people in their 70s or beyond. If it makes sense that someone under 35 lacks sufficient experience to be president, it seems perfectly reasonable to say that someone over the age of 70 lacks the vitality for it. We all know now that Reagan was indeed suffering from dementia in his second term, and Trump, having lived a long life of arrested development, is also dim. I wonder what kind of support a constitutional amendment would have for excluding presidents and Supreme Court justices from serving over the age of 70.
You might have to add our leadership into that equation, too, whether you talk about the Democratic side (Jim Clyburn, 79; Steny Hoyer, 80; Nancy Pelosi, 79; and Chuck Schumer, the relative spring chicken at 68) -- or the Republican one (well, Mitch McConnell, anyway, who's 77). And maybe we'd need to consider the Senate side, too, as shown by Dianne Feinstein, who's running again at the grand old age of 86. That's the essence of what we'd call a gerontocracy, isn't it?

And while we're at it, here's one more piece of evidence for the above argument, for anyone who needs it:

https://expo.mlive.com/news/g66l-2019/0 ... affes.html

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »