Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Re: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by Spiff »

I'm all for Schadenfreude (or karma, whatever), but in this case it's the children who will suffer most, and that's sad.

But I'm also for a good slap of reality that will wake up these no-nothings and finally make them realize that they've been conned. And then they carry that lesson with them for generations to come.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Spiff wrote:
I'm all for Schadenfreude (or karma, whatever), but in this case it's the children who will suffer most, and that's sad.

But I'm also for a good slap of reality that will wake up these no-nothings and finally make them realize that they've been conned. And then they carry that lesson with them for generations to come.
I have a hard time believing these people are going to learn anything. These folks are constantly getting screwed, and keep voting for the people screwing them.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Kory wrote:I have a hard time believing these people are going to learn anything. These folks are constantly getting screwed, and keep voting for the people screwing them.
I agree. And think the same applies to all the people who voted for Trump.

. . .

:shifty:

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... erals.html

Slate (really...Slate???) with a succinct deconstruction of the Eric Garland tweet-wordsalad phenomenon.

I'm not down with the Twitters, but count me as one of the grammar nazis PO'd by the misuse of "game theory" since at one of my previous employers I used to manage an Advanced Math backlist with an obscure but somewhat well-regarded Intro GT book for junior/senior undergrad math majors. Agree with the article author that it's absolutely worthless in an applied setting, but I know from getting the Cliffs Notes lowdown from authors and professors who teach it that it's a useful side dish for theorist students as they work their way up specific tracks in the 'pure' math food chain for their graduate courses. I'm sure Garland's going to be used for target practice in dozens of papers submitted at the annual American Mathematical Society/Mathematical Assoc. of America joint meetings held in about 3 weeks. Deconstructing "bullshit applications" and lying-with-____ is academic bloodsport for that crowd, based on 3 prior business trips of mine as a publishing exhibitor at that big conference. I used to always pick one of those 'trendy' cultural topics to sit in on as a presentation because they would usually layman-terms it just enough for general consumption that I could sort of follow what's going on.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Rat Patrol wrote:http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... erals.html

Slate (really...Slate???) with a succinct deconstruction of the Eric Garland tweet-wordsalad phenomenon.

I'm not down with the Twitters, but count me as one of the grammar nazis PO'd by the misuse of "game theory" since at one of my previous employers I used to manage an Advanced Math backlist with an obscure but somewhat well-regarded Intro GT book for junior/senior undergrad math majors. Agree with the article author that it's absolutely worthless in an applied setting, but I know from getting the Cliffs Notes lowdown from authors and professors who teach it that it's a useful side dish for theorist students as they work their way up specific tracks in the 'pure' math food chain for their graduate courses. I'm sure Garland's going to be used for target practice in dozens of papers submitted at the annual American Mathematical Society/Mathematical Assoc. of America joint meetings held in about 3 weeks. Deconstructing "bullshit applications" and lying-with-____ is academic bloodsport for that crowd, based on 3 prior business trips of mine as a publishing exhibitor at that big conference. I used to always pick one of those 'trendy' cultural topics to sit in on as a presentation because they would usually layman-terms it just enough for general consumption that I could sort of follow what's going on.
Sam Kriss is a decent writer. Good views, if a little too sunglasses at night, cocaine for breakfast pose-y for my taste.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

https://www.boston.com/news/national-ne ... -bar-fight

Now this fine young specimen right here is a walking advertisement for inbreeding our political dynasties forever.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Rat Patrol wrote:https://www.boston.com/news/national-ne ... -bar-fight

Now this fine young specimen right here is a walking advertisement for inbreeding our political dynasties forever.
I heard that he was defending his LGBT friend from homophobic insults...so, at least there's that?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

If independent observation is any yardstick, there is no future for the current incarnation of this party. Just a long slow descent into irrelevance, punctuated by the occasional charismatic centrist who accomplishes next to nothing.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

JennyB wrote:

I heard that he was defending his LGBT friend from homophobic insults...so, at least there's that?
That's like saying Massholia's 4th Congressional District elected this thing because his opponent happened to be dyed-in-wool LaRouchie 'Some Guy"...so at least there's that:

3rd-generation inbreeding is bringing out the recessive genes in-force. :twitch:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote:
JennyB wrote:

That's like saying Massholia's 4th Congressional District elected this thing because his opponent happened to be dyed-in-wool LaRouchie 'Some Guy"...so at least there's that:

3rd-generation inbreeding is bringing out the recessive genes in-force. :twitch:
Gross!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Rat Patrol wrote:
JennyB wrote:

:eek:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

JennyB wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
JennyB wrote:

:eek:
Joey 3 is also this douchenozzle's first-cousin:

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Meanwhile, douchnozzle's psychopath dad is doing his darndest. . .

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politi ... story.html

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

This article,ostensibly a review of Chait's new book on Obama but really a diagnosis of the ills of the democratic party, is great: https://newrepublic.com/article/138915/ ... liberalism
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!