Unknown Immortal

Baltimore's Burning

Post by Rat Patrol »

The Orioles' bats seem to have come alive. X(

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Baltimore's Burning

Post by matedog »

Annapolis policeman brother in law has been posting on facebook A LOT these days. :rolleyes:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:Annapolis policeman brother in law has been posting on facebook A LOT these days. :rolleyes:
I assume he's furious that the spark for all this was the callous actions of the cops that led to Gray's death, that those cops have all this blood and destruction on their hands, right?

*cough*
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Last night a CNN photographer on Twitter seemed dumbfounded that I wasn't devastated about a fucking CVS burning.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog

Post by matedog »

He died 9 days ago and they still haven't released what happened. In these situations, you have to act a hell of a lot quicker than this. The reticence is just damning.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:He died 9 days ago and they still haven't released what happened. In these situations, you have to act a hell of a lot quicker than this. The reticence is just damning.
The fact that his voice box was crushed and his spine 80% severed at the neck means this has to be an open and shut case of "freak, isolated incident" amirite? Definitely not an aggressively over administered chokehold. :rolleyes:

Also, if anyone is wondering how tensions rose this high, maybe the solid week of peaceful protests being ignored?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:Last night a CNN photographer on Twitter seemed dumbfounded that I wasn't devastated about a fucking CVS burning.
It's amazing that some people can't accept that there are Walgreen's loyalists who won't be shaken.
Also, if anyone is wondering how tensions rose this high, maybe the solid week of peaceful protests being ignored?
As a tactic, to turn protesters into rioters and turn the mushy white liberal middle against dissent, it's predictably effective.
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 28 Apr 2015, 10:29am, edited 1 time in total.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:Annapolis policeman brother in law has been posting on facebook A LOT these days. :rolleyes:
I assume he's furious that the spark for all this was the callous actions of the cops that led to Gray's death, that those cops have all this blood and destruction on their hands, right?

*cough*
He hates the mayor, is worried that all the gangs in Baltimore are going to call a truce and attack cops, people need to stop rioting, etc.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:Last night a CNN photographer on Twitter seemed dumbfounded that I wasn't devastated about a fucking CVS burning.
It's amazing that some people can't accept that there are Walgreen's loyalists who won't be shaken.
:lol:

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/orioles ... otests-mlb

This is a pretty amazing statement released by the Orioles' Chief Operating Officer about the situation there. Never would've expected something like this from Peter Angelos' spawn...clearly dad was the "talent skips a generation" short straw.
Brett, speaking only for myself, I agree with your point that the principle of peaceful, non-violent protest and the observance of the rule of law is of utmost importance in any society. MLK, Gandhi, Mandela and all great opposition leaders throughout history have always preached this precept. Further, it is critical that in any democracy, investigation must be completed and due process must be honored before any government or police members are judged responsible.

That said, my greater source of personal concern, outrage and sympathy beyond this particular case is focused neither upon one night’s property damage nor upon the acts, but is focused rather upon the past four-decade period during which an American political elite have shipped middle class and working class jobs away from Baltimore and cities and towns around the U.S. to third-world dictatorships like China and others, plunged tens of millions of good, hard-working Americans into economic devastation, and then followed that action around the nation by diminishing every American’s civil rights protections in order to control an unfairly impoverished population living under an ever-declining standard of living and suffering at the butt end of an ever-more militarized and aggressive surveillance state.

The innocent working families of all backgrounds whose lives and dreams have been cut short by excessive violence, surveillance, and other abuses of the Bill of Rights by government pay the true price, and ultimate price, and one that far exceeds the importances of any kids’ game played tonight, or ever, at Camden Yards. We need to keep in mind people are suffering and dying around the U.S., and while we are thankful no one was injured at Camden Yards, there is a far bigger picture for poor Americans in Baltimore and everywhere who don’t have jobs and are losing economic civil and legal rights, and this makes inconvenience at a ballgame irrelevant in light of the needless suffering government is inflicting upon ordinary Americans.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/orioles ... otests-mlb

This is a pretty amazing statement released by the Orioles' Chief Operating Officer about the situation there. Never would've expected something like this from Peter Angelos' spawn...clearly dad was the "talent skips a generation" short straw.
Brett, speaking only for myself, I agree with your point that the principle of peaceful, non-violent protest and the observance of the rule of law is of utmost importance in any society. MLK, Gandhi, Mandela and all great opposition leaders throughout history have always preached this precept. Further, it is critical that in any democracy, investigation must be completed and due process must be honored before any government or police members are judged responsible.

That said, my greater source of personal concern, outrage and sympathy beyond this particular case is focused neither upon one night’s property damage nor upon the acts, but is focused rather upon the past four-decade period during which an American political elite have shipped middle class and working class jobs away from Baltimore and cities and towns around the U.S. to third-world dictatorships like China and others, plunged tens of millions of good, hard-working Americans into economic devastation, and then followed that action around the nation by diminishing every American’s civil rights protections in order to control an unfairly impoverished population living under an ever-declining standard of living and suffering at the butt end of an ever-more militarized and aggressive surveillance state.

The innocent working families of all backgrounds whose lives and dreams have been cut short by excessive violence, surveillance, and other abuses of the Bill of Rights by government pay the true price, and ultimate price, and one that far exceeds the importances of any kids’ game played tonight, or ever, at Camden Yards. We need to keep in mind people are suffering and dying around the U.S., and while we are thankful no one was injured at Camden Yards, there is a far bigger picture for poor Americans in Baltimore and everywhere who don’t have jobs and are losing economic civil and legal rights, and this makes inconvenience at a ballgame irrelevant in light of the needless suffering government is inflicting upon ordinary Americans.
Next on Fox and Friends, why the Baltimore Orioles are the favourite team of the Blame America Firsters.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Go O's!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

The really interesting thing about this is it's all happening 25 miles from D.C. Congressmen and the lobbyists they bow before live in the posher Baltimore 'burbs. Not to mention all the Villager media breathlessly reporting every cup of coffee Hillary buys all by herself at a Starbucks and devoting days of coverage to that life anti-affirming D.C. Correspondent's Dinner and what jokes Obama laughed at. They are coming to the horrific realization this morning that Capitol Police are one cock-up away from that 25-mile separation disappearing and this happening right outside their Georgetown doorsteps. It's not morans from flyover country in Moransourri or Tulsa acting like morans anymore. We're now invoking the old rich white person's adage "It's not a problem until it directly affects me." The fact that Baltimore can go up like matchsticks 48 hours after that looked like an impossibility...after a week of protests everyone in D.C. totally ignored because Hillary and who-brought-who-as-a-date to the White House prom. Yeah, of course CNN is going to lose its shit over a CVS. That's the "Oh my god, that could be MY pharmacy. Where will I get my next boner pills refill if that happens to my CVS" moment of well-deserved panic.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

In Defense of Black Rage, Part 1:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf