No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Marky Dread »

If I turn my back on someone I like who has racist views then that would only make me the failure. Anybody who knows me well enough KNOWS that I have a genuine "never say die" attitude I never give up. Of course if this behaviour then in turn forces the other person away then I accept that is their choice and their loss.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 May 2018, 12:04pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 May 2018, 11:39am
I am going through a painful process of distancing myself from a very old friend on account of his joining the Trump cult and penchant for forwarding racist bullshit about people that aren't white like us. He was a hippy in collage and smoked tons of grass. When 9/11 happened he was unemployed and watching too much Fox news. He joined the Army and served two tours in Iraq. At first he leaned a little to the right which I attributed to the military but could deal with since he still seemed reasonable. Over the past three to four years a paranoia has gripped him. He's worried about brown immigrants from the south and black gang bangers. He lives out n the country near the New Hampshire border with his (immigrant) wife and mixed race daughter. It's all very confusing. I wonder if there some PTSD going on (I am fairly sure but am not a real doctor). Damn near everyone I know, his family included, can't make a damn bit of sense of all this.

No real point to all this, just venting a little.
I've mentioned before I had ended a very good friendship over racism. He was always a bit on the authoritarian side—very pro cop—tho jokey enough that I could rationalize enough to ignore or explain it away. After Ferguson and Black Lives Matter gained momentum, he became too overt about it. Any black person killed by a cop was asking for it. If they just cleaned up their act the cops wouldn't target them. If you obey a cop, he won't shoot you or beat your ass. Protesters are a bunch of whiners looking to blame someone else for their own flaws. And it got to the point where I couldn't explain it away and that I couldn't think of myself as a moral person if I provided this guy friendship and support when he is so unsympathetic to a marginalized and persecuted people. I had told him years ago that I would and had ended friendships over moral issues, something he didn't agree with. But that's what I did. I hate that it came to that because I greatly valued his friendship—he was a confidant and taught me a lot about writing—but being committed to one's values often forces these undesirable decisions.
I have distanced myself. He is, however, part of a larger group of friends in a very tight social circle so it is impossible to completely disengage. I cannot figure out for the life of me how someone who is rational in so many ways similar to myself can see the world so differently.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 May 2018, 12:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 May 2018, 12:04pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 May 2018, 11:39am
I am going through a painful process of distancing myself from a very old friend on account of his joining the Trump cult and penchant for forwarding racist bullshit about people that aren't white like us. He was a hippy in collage and smoked tons of grass. When 9/11 happened he was unemployed and watching too much Fox news. He joined the Army and served two tours in Iraq. At first he leaned a little to the right which I attributed to the military but could deal with since he still seemed reasonable. Over the past three to four years a paranoia has gripped him. He's worried about brown immigrants from the south and black gang bangers. He lives out n the country near the New Hampshire border with his (immigrant) wife and mixed race daughter. It's all very confusing. I wonder if there some PTSD going on (I am fairly sure but am not a real doctor). Damn near everyone I know, his family included, can't make a damn bit of sense of all this.

No real point to all this, just venting a little.
I've mentioned before I had ended a very good friendship over racism. He was always a bit on the authoritarian side—very pro cop—tho jokey enough that I could rationalize enough to ignore or explain it away. After Ferguson and Black Lives Matter gained momentum, he became too overt about it. Any black person killed by a cop was asking for it. If they just cleaned up their act the cops wouldn't target them. If you obey a cop, he won't shoot you or beat your ass. Protesters are a bunch of whiners looking to blame someone else for their own flaws. And it got to the point where I couldn't explain it away and that I couldn't think of myself as a moral person if I provided this guy friendship and support when he is so unsympathetic to a marginalized and persecuted people. I had told him years ago that I would and had ended friendships over moral issues, something he didn't agree with. But that's what I did. I hate that it came to that because I greatly valued his friendship—he was a confidant and taught me a lot about writing—but being committed to one's values often forces these undesirable decisions.
I have distanced myself. He is, however, part of a larger group of friends in a very tight social circle so it is impossible to completely disengage. I cannot figure out for the life of me how someone who is rational in so many ways similar to myself can see the world so differently.
I blame the squirrels.

I know this really belongs in Wolt's Hitler thread but anyway.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BostonBeaneater

Marky Dread wrote:
22 May 2018, 12:53pm

I blame the squirrels.

Wolt's Hitler Thread is my go to pub in Chicago.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 May 2018, 12:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 May 2018, 12:53pm

I blame the squirrels.

Wolt's Hitler Thread is my go to pub in Chicago.
I'll drink to that. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BostonBeaneater

From the way this is being approached I think Milwaukee might burn.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/cri ... 628128002/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 May 2018, 1:56pm

Always nice when my hometown makes the national news...

Milwaukee is one of the most segregated cities in the US and we have a long history of brutish police behavior.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-law- ... -stops-are

My girlfriend does a lot of outreach in some of the most poor neighborhoods in the city - mostly all African American - and just listening to some of the stories she tells - I'm realizing I don't know the extent of the segregation in Milwaukee.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

WestwayKid wrote:
22 May 2018, 2:45pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 May 2018, 1:56pm

Always nice when my hometown makes the national news...

Milwaukee is one of the most segregated cities in the US and we have a long history of brutish police behavior.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-law- ... -stops-are

My girlfriend does a lot of outreach in some of the most poor neighborhoods in the city - mostly all African American - and just listening to some of the stories she tells - I'm realizing I don't know the extent of the segregation in Milwaukee.
...and to be completely honest...while I don't want to see any violence...I do hope there is a strong community response - just needs to stay on point and be non-violent and maybe that's wishful thinking - but I'm hoping this leads to meaningful discussion.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

BostonBeaneater

I don't know, I ain't buyin' it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 May 2018, 3:34pm

Yeah, that's someone in lame damage control. Apologize, but don't claim that the asshole doing that shit wasn't you. It was and is you and if you want to become a better human being you first have to admit you're an asshole. These kinds of apologies are assertions that this was a one-time freak occurrence and it probably doesn't take much digging to find out that that ain't so.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 May 2018, 3:46pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 May 2018, 3:34pm

Yeah, that's someone in lame damage control. Apologize, but don't claim that the asshole doing that shit wasn't you. It was and is you and if you want to become a better human being you first have to admit you're an asshole. These kinds of apologies are assertions that this was a one-time freak occurrence and it probably doesn't take much digging to find out that that ain't so.
What an absolute cock. The world would be better off without his kind.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

White man tells black woman that she thinks the world revolves around the colour of skin, blissfully ignores the past six centuries.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bernier ... -1.4680467
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2018, 11:54am
White man tells black woman that she thinks the world revolves around the colour of skin, blissfully ignores the past six centuries.
Firstly I know nothing about this guy but he sounds like a dick

I wonder if she is like Diane Abbott our incumbent Shadow Home Secretary? Every issue seems to be a black issue with Diane. Every time I see her on the TV giving a talk it's always about the "black" subject. It feels like she uses being black as a crutch to hold her up in a political argument. I'm certainly anti racist but I'm also anti Diane. It also bugs me when I hear wealthy people talk about "their" peoples stuggles. Excluding herself from the human race and just being from the black race is dumb.We must ALL acknowledge our past failures so we can move forward in a positive manner. Considering yourself a black person or a white person isn't a positive thing we are all just people and need to accept one another. You can only break down barriers when you break down the attitude first.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2018, 2:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I wonder if she is like Diane Abbott our incumbent Shadow Home Secretary? Every issue seems to be a black issue with Diane. Every time I see her on the TV giving a talk it's always about the "black" subject. It feels like she uses being black as a crutch to hold her up in a political argument. I'm certainly anti racist but I'm also anti Diane. It also bugs me when I hear wealthy people talk about "their" peoples stuggles. Excluding herself from the human race and just being from the black race is dumb.We must ALL acknowledge our past failures so we can move forward in a positive manner. Considering yourself a black person or a white person isn't a positive thing we are all just people and need to accept one another. You can only break down barriers when you break down the attitude first.
Bernier's a libertarian and runner-up in the federal Conservatives' last leadership race. He's a dink on most issues. I've never heard of Caesar-Chavannes before, so I can't say anything about her rep.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2018, 2:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2018, 2:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Bernier's a libertarian and runner-up in the federal Conservatives' last leadership race. He's a dink on most issues. I've never heard of Caesar-Chavannes before, so I can't say anything about her rep.
Ahh the freedom to say what you like and be damned. :meh:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia