This Week in Religion

Politics and other such topical creams.
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Rat Patrol »

tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:A divine observation: A god that would cause the hair on the top of a man's head to fall out, never to return, while letting the eyebrows grow like the lawn of the worst neighbour on the block merits scorn, not worship.
The fact that you lost your hair proves evolution, suck on that Kurt Cameron.
So what does Jose Canseco prove? :hmm:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:A divine observation: A god that would cause the hair on the top of a man's head to fall out, never to return, while letting the eyebrows grow like the lawn of the worst neighbour on the block merits scorn, not worship.
The fact that you lost your hair proves evolution, suck on that Kurt Cameron.
So what does Jose Canseco prove? :hmm:
That once you shoot off your finger, sorry, it ain't coming back, no matter how much duct tape and binder twine your "doctor" has in his pick-up.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressiv ... ng-father/

Things are getting weird when Texans are endorsing the idea of the US as a Jewish idea …
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressiv ... ng-father/

Things are getting weird when Texans are endorsing the idea of the US as a Jewish idea …
"Leave us out of this." - Jews
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
Don't know if it's because I'm biased, but the menorah looks much cooler. What the hell is that from?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
Don't know if it's because I'm biased, but the menorah looks much cooler. What the hell is that from?
I recognize it as a 'shop of a still from the new Star Wars trailer. I'm not sure why it's been altered the way it has, but I thought the menorahsabre was cool.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Well Jesus is holding the dang cross the wrong way, did he not pay any attention to what Yoda taught him?

I thought the menorah flames were bullets at first like from some 80s metal band's bullet belt.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:Well Jesus is holding the dang cross the wrong way, did he not pay any attention to what Yoda taught him?
No wonder the Romans had no trouble convicting and nailing him up.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/12/new- ... ld-empire/

I enjoyed this.
Thanks for passing that on. I knew of Harris' and Hitchens' Islamophobia, but wasn't aware that Dawkins had also waded into that swamp. And Savage's point is well taken that the War on Terror opened the door for this form of atheism (i.e., imperialist, racist). That neat combination of being iconoclastic yet crudely conventional.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I enjoyed this.
Thanks for passing that on. I knew of Harris' and Hitchens' Islamophobia, but wasn't aware that Dawkins had also waded into that swamp. And Savage's point is well taken that the War on Terror opened the door for this form of atheism (i.e., imperialist, racist). That neat combination of being iconoclastic yet crudely conventional.
If there's a shitty viewpoint to be held, Dawkins will chase over to it using well-ordered Oxbridge English.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I enjoyed this.
Fundamentalist _______ tends to do that to people after a certain tipping point in intensity of belief. And in the case of these guys, their own non-belief passed that tipping point where it became its own anti-religion, as opposed to just being against religion. Preachers of un-God, as it were. It's like when you start pushing far left and far right completely off the charts. Eventually spacetime bends and the two polar opposites start to converge in the same ugly place. And every one of these dudes they started reaching the same ugly place as their polar opposites:

Oh yeah, and don't forget the disgusting misogyny. You can't have religious and anti-religious fundamentalism without overabundance of misogyny. :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My recollection is that I liked half of The God Delusion—the stuff that argued against the need for the supernatural was good; the rants against religion were not good—and hated Harris from start to finish. I honestly don't remember much about Hitchens' book except that I thought it was basically decent (tho I may well have been affected by Hitchens' writing). I don't remember any specific Islamophobia in it, but I think I listened to that book and may have missed it. I've never seen Maher's movie just because from what I heard it was just picking on the devout. Some deserve it—those who have real power—but most don't merit that degree of mocking.