Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Currently watching.

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 6:52pm
revbob wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 6:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 12:53pm
Inder wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 12:39pm
I just started watching Seinfeld for the first time.

Pretty funny! Wonder why it never really caught on.
It's one of those shows that it's become cool (or something) to dismiss. And it can be critiqued for being a celebration of upward mobility even as it mocks social manners—I mean, when you're doing well, the only thing to fight about are manners—but the humble and wry view of life, that we're all absurd animals who constantly trip over ourselves is still enjoyable.
So for me there's a couple of things. It was a funny show. There was a distinct lack of people of color in the show. For a show based in NYC that seems impossible unless somehow deliberate. Larry David, to his credit addresses this in his show.
Definitely. That's what I was getting at about the celebration of upward mobility. It existed in a world where social inequalities are weird grievances of manners. It had a distinct Clinton liberal self-congratulatory vibe. Non-whites exist primarily for flavouring. It was an illustration of the criticism of multiculturalism as white normativity with tolerance for non-whites in supporting roles.
The other thing that bugged me was when Michael Richards went on that racist rant during a stand up gig and nobody from the show had much to say about it.
I recall Jerry Seinfeld going on Letterman(?) and trying to advocate for his friend. I can appreciate their difficulty in figuring out how to balance their disgust (I hope) with their friendship. That's not a defence, mind you, only an understanding of the conflict when a friend fucks up so powerfully. Larry David did play around with it a bit in an episode of the Curb season about the Seinfeld reunion, tho whether that was handled dismissively is each person's call (I found it funny but an evasion).
Yeah I picked up on that but my brain is mush right now and dont recall what was actually done. I did finally really get into Curb and even if you leave the lack of censorship aside it is the better (in my mind) of the 2 shows by a long shot.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 8:33pm
Yeah I picked up on that but my brain is mush right now and dont recall what was actually done. I did finally really get into Curb and even if you leave the lack of censorship aside it is the better (in my mind) of the 2 shows by a long shot.
I can't recall the precise details myself, but it has something to do with MR having a run-in with Nation of Islam people, then thinking Leon was one, culminating in this:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 6:30am
revbob wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 8:33pm
I can't recall the precise details myself, but it has something to do with MR having a run-in with Nation of Islam people, then thinking Leon was one, culminating in this:
Richards addresses it directly in his Comedians in Cars episode. He seemed quite contrite, but who knows if that's just a guy trying to salvage his career.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Killing Eve S3 was a noticeable step down from S1&2. I mean it still had the best TV charatcer in recent memory, bit it didn't have the "i can't wait one more second to watch the next one" feel that the earlier ones did.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 6:06pm
Killing Eve S3 was a noticeable step down from S1&2. I mean it still had the best TV charatcer in recent memory, bit it didn't have the "i can't wait one more second to watch the next one" feel that the earlier ones did.
Haven't watched S2 yet.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 6:23pm
tepista wrote:
Haven't watched S2 yet.
2 was just as good as 1
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 6:27pm
revbob wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 6:23pm
tepista wrote:
Haven't watched S2 yet.
2 was just as good as 1
Been meaning to watch but wife is disinterested

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

tepista wrote:
I gave up on it. Agreed about the best character on TV but the rest of the cast was so dull.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

My wife's continuing to watch it, but I didn't give a shit after ep1 of s3. They really miss Bridge-Waller, who left to write the new Bond film.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 Jun 2020, 8:24am
My wife's continuing to watch it, but I didn't give a shit after ep1 of s3. They really miss Bridge-Waller, who left to write the new Bond film.
I agree with this man. Shame about the writer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Consistently one of the funniest shows on right now.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 8:50am

Consistently one of the funniest shows on right now.
Yes, and season 3 has been greenlit! The movie was good, but the show is way better.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marcella is a dark one, that girl has been through a lot!!!
Only 2 season of 8 episodes so an easy binge.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Watching The Fox and the Hound with my daughter. She's pretty much lost interest compared to me almost in tears when she leaves the fox and says goodbye.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

The first season of the Twilight Zone reboot.