Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 8:11pm
Fired up the pilot for Newsradio. Damn but it is sharp. It doesn't just explain the concept and characters like all pilots, but is also really fucking funny, just rolling along like it was already established.
I was pleased that I still liked it decades later. Really good show.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 9:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Fired up the pilot for Newsradio. Damn but it is sharp. It doesn't just explain the concept and characters like all pilots, but is also really fucking funny, just rolling along like it was already established.
I remember Dave Foley doing an interview after the first season where he said that he proved his critics wrong: he could act his way out of a paper bag.

But between Newsradio and King of the Hill, Stephen Root just killed.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 9:43pm
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I remember Dave Foley doing an interview after the first season where he said that he proved his critics wrong: he could act his way out of a paper bag.

So you're saying I should watch this? I caufght snippets every now and then. But nevver investedin it

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 9:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 9:43pm
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

So you're saying I should watch this? I caufght snippets every now and then. But nevver investedin it
You never watched it? Yeah, I think you'd like it. The humour isn't cynical and only stealth bleak (the episode about the rat funeral comes to mind), but more about ridiculousness. In many respects, it's an update on the 1970s workplace sitcom, with one sane person surrounded by lunatics (WKRP especially comes to mind, also being set at a radio station).
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss (and sometimes I) continue to sample old Law & Order. We're in the Abby Carmichael years, which has the Boss muttering "cunt" in almost every episode. Her contempt for the character—who is, to be fair, really unpleasant and snidely judgmental—is more entertaining than the narrative itself.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 7:35pm
The Boss (and sometimes I) continue to sample old Law & Order. We're in the Abby Carmichael years, which has the Boss muttering "cunt" in almost every episode. Her contempt for the character—who is, to be fair, really unpleasant and snidely judgmental—is more entertaining than the narrative itself.
I remember when she debuted and her character, ah, traits were a big part of the marketing. I was a horny teenager and I thought she was hot as hell. Probably nothing I need to talk a therapist about or anything tho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 7:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I remember when she debuted and her character, ah, traits were a big part of the marketing. I was a horny teenager and I thought she was hot as hell. Probably nothing I need to talk a therapist about or anything tho.
The Boss replies: "Doesn't change the fact that she's a cunt."

(I should note that she somehow finds the word titties unpleasant.)

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Attractive sure but not a likeable character.

I was more of a Claire Kincaid fan.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 8:26pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Seduced by her low-key Canadianess, eh?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 8:58pm
revbob wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 8:26pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Seduced by her low-key Canadianess, eh?
Im not sure it's that but yeah she's a looker

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched Phil Hartman's last episode of Newsradio. I forgot how unintentionally disturbing his last words are. For those who don't know, it was a parody of Titanic—"Sinking Ship"—which was more than a bit of a black humour fuck you to NBC as they believed they wouldn't be renewed. So there's all kinds of jokes about dying, but it really nutpunches at the end.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 6:04pm
Watched Phil Hartman's last episode of Newsradio. I forgot how unintentionally disturbing his last words are. For those who don't know, it was a parody of Titanic—"Sinking Ship"—which was more than a bit of a black humour fuck you to NBC as they believed they wouldn't be renewed. So there's all kinds of jokes about dying, but it really nutpunches at the end.

youtube.com/watch?v=4tTVthi_myM
I remember my jaw dropping when I first saw that (still so fuckin charming and funny tho)
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 8:27pm
Here you go Doc

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/s ... ailed.html
Original miniseries is still fantastic—great allegory about fascism coming to America (it was inspired by Sinclair Lewis' It Can't Happen Here). Final Battle was stupid but entertaining. The subsequent series was just plain stupid. The remake just didn't grab me, tho I recall eumaas singing its praises back in the day. It's a good concept, but it has to embrace the politics rather than go all sci-fi action.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watching the last season of Newsradio and, y'know, it's actually pretty good. Communityesque, really, in that it abandons the whole radio station premise in favour of batshittery that rests on the characters. It doesn't engage in the critique of tv that Community loved to do, but the destruction of ostensible premise is the same. And Lovitz is really good because Lovitz is just plain-ass funny.