Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Currently watching.

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:27pm
Getting worried as nearing the end of series 5 of The Americans and will then be up to date and have to go cold turkey :disshame:

Is Keri Russell the hottest thing on TV :scared:
I have yet to watch the Americans. Maybe one of these days. Keri Russell is attractive but "hottest"?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 12:00am
101Walterton wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 8:27pm
Getting worried as nearing the end of series 5 of The Americans and will then be up to date and have to go cold turkey :disshame:

Is Keri Russell the hottest thing on TV :scared:
I have yet to watch the Americans. Maybe one of these days. Keri Russell is attractive but "hottest"?
Best you watch The Americans ;)

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Just finished Catastrophe with the great Sharon Horgan and the extant Rob Delaney. A really good comedy drama with a recurring role for the late Carrie Fisher.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JennyB wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 4:41pm
I've been addicted to The Story of the Top of the Pops. I loved the 1981 episode. It's been fun seeing people like Suggs and Jerry Dammers. The guy from the Human League is way too self important. Which brings me to the other show I watched - Synth Britannia. Helps reinforce my love of Kraftwerk, The Normal, Cabaret Voltaire, etc. I love how sinister, cold and bleak that era of synth music was. Too bad it evolved so poorly in the mid-late 80s.
Thanks for the tip just watched 1980 it was brilliant. Madness raiding The Clash recording session dressed as coppers :mrgreen:
One interesting thing was The Pirhanas saying that they did 6 Peel sessions and regulars on his playlist but after one appearance on TOTP for Tom Hark and he dropped them??

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm watching an episode of Betwitched (2nd Durwood) and I'm horrified by Liz's glossy yellow teeth. I'm guessing she was a heavy smoker. :cry:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 3:51am
JennyB wrote:
I've been addicted to The Story of the Top of the Pops. I loved the 1981 episode. It's been fun seeing people like Suggs and Jerry Dammers. The guy from the Human League is way too self important. Which brings me to the other show I watched - Synth Britannia. Helps reinforce my love of Kraftwerk, The Normal, Cabaret Voltaire, etc. I love how sinister, cold and bleak that era of synth music was. Too bad it evolved so poorly in the mid-late 80s.
Thanks for the tip just watched 1980 it was brilliant. Madness raiding The Clash recording session dressed as coppers :mrgreen:
One interesting thing was The Pirhanas saying that they did 6 Peel sessions and regulars on his playlist but after one appearance on TOTP for Tom Hark and he dropped them??
I always thought it was Ian Dury & the Blockheads not Madness who raided the Clash recording session. They were dressed up as coppers for their l Wanna Be Straight single. Are you getting mixed up with Shut Up video shoot?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 5:05pm
101Walterton wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I always thought it was Ian Dury & the Blockheads not Madness who raided the Clash recording session. They were dressed up as coppers for their l Wanna Be Straight single. Are you getting mixed up with Shut Up video shoot?
12:10 (watch whole show it is great)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 5:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Interesting I wonder if it happened twice. I know I've read it was Ian and Wilko who made The Clash flush their stash down the bog. Surely not something else that Madness nicked from Ian Dury & the Blockheads. If you look at the comments on YouTube. Heres one "
At last! I've been hoping and praying for this clip to show up here on YouTube for years. I saw it the first time it was broadcast and it's a classic piece of television!! After they filmed this, Ian Dury and Co. went back to the rehearsal rooms they shared with the Clash and The Clash shit themselves when they saw six or seven 'cops' get out of a transit van and come up the stairs!"
It makes sense that the rehearsal was shared between The Blockheads and The Clash as they were both managed by Blackhill at the time. I'm sure I've read an interview with Ian discussing this.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 22 Aug 2018, 6:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 5:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Interesting I wonder if it happened twice. I know I've read it was Ian and Wilko who made The Clash flush their stash down the bog. Surely not something else that Madness nicked from Ian Dury & the Blockheads. If you look at the comments on YouTube. Heres one "
At last! I've been hoping and praying for this clip to show up here on YouTube for years. I saw it the first time it was broadcast and it's a classic piece of television!! After they filmed this, Ian Dury and Co. went back to the rehearsal rooms they shared with the Clash and The Clash shit themselves when they saw six or seven 'cops' get out of a transit van and come up the stairs!"
It makes sense that the rehearsal was shared between The Blockheads and The Cash as they were both managed by Blackhill at the time. I'm sure I've read an interview with Ian discussing this.
Touching comments by Jimmy :scared:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 5:57pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

It makes sense that the rehearsal was shared between The Blockheads and The Cash as they were both managed by Blackhill at the time. I'm sure I've read an interview with Ian discussing this.
He was always perving the jewellery jangling pedo.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:08pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Just looked at that Madness clip again and that is definately them (Suggs dressed as the robber and Barso in front). What was the date of that Blockheads performance on TOTP?
Could have been together Ian was mates with them.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Just looked at that Madness clip again and that is definately them (Suggs dressed as the robber and Barso in front). What was the date of that Blockheads performance on TOTP?
"I Want to be Straight" came out in 1980 and "Shut Up" was released in 1981. Why would seeing someone dressed as a robber make you run for the toilet? Policemen yes but a robber I don't think so. Whereas Ian and all the Blockheads are dressed up as old bill.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 8:57pm
101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 6:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

"I Want to be Straight" came out in 1980 and "Shut Up" was released in 1981. Why would seeing someone dressed as a robber make you run for the toilet? Policemen yes but a robber I don't think so. Whereas Ian and all the Blockheads are dressed up as old bill.
Sorry I meant that was Madness in the clip not Blockheads as I didn’t realise It was actually from the Shut Up video.
Suggs seems to have his stories crossed then as that wasn’t anything to do with TOTP although BBC could have just put that in there to confuse us.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Evil.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft