Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Currently watching.

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 4:13pm
Loved Soap when it first started. It was on late on Fridays night, cult viewing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 4:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 4:13pm
Loved Soap when it first started. It was on late on Fridays night, cult viewing.
I discovered that regional channel is running it in the afternoon and occasionally catch it. Some stuff—gay jokes, mainly—is pretty painful now, but a surprising amount still holds up. Richard Mulligan was especially a remarkable physical actor.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

So I have just got through 18 hours of The Vietnam War documentary by Ken Burns. I thought it was brilliant and should be compulsory viewing for any school kid anyway in the world.
I didn’t realise how many of the significant events of late 20th century history that changed the world were all tied together by a common thread.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 3:38pm
So I have just got through 18 hours of The Vietnam War documentary by Ken Burns. I thought it was brilliant and should be compulsory viewing for any school kid anyway in the world.
I didn’t realise how many of the significant events of late 20th century history that changed the world were all tied together by a common thread.
I'm not that keen on most of Burns' work—Baseball and The Dust Bowl are the only others of his that impressed me—but this one was quite well done. Balanced the perspectives of presidents, generals, soldiers, and protestors rather well (tho it was pointed out that the voices of Viet Cong were excluded). Such a tragedy, and one guided by the momentum generated by ideology.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I remember watching Joe Galloway’s interview around the 3rd or 4th episode and concluding how much more powerful and visceral it was compared to the steaming pile of turd that was We Were Soldiers. Overall not sure there was much new in it but the interviews and footage brought it home very well. I do quite like Burns’ work in general.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Watched E1 of Succession last night and got quickly hooked. Good cast and some killer lines in it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Went on a mad nostalgia trip last night. I watched the first episodes of these:
The Tomorrow People
Timeslip
Logan's Run
Children of the Stones
UFO
Quatermass III Serial

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 3:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
I'm not that keen on most of Burns' work—Baseball and The Dust Bowl are the only others of his that impressed me—but this one was quite well done. Balanced the perspectives of presidents, generals, soldiers, and protestors rather well (tho it was pointed out that the voices of Viet Cong were excluded). Such a tragedy, and one guided by the momentum generated by ideology.
I remember catching a show, I think on HBO back in the late 80s. I believe part of a series of dramatizations showing the war from different perspectives. There was one from a VC perspective that was quite good as I recall.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 12:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 3:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
I remember catching a show, I think on HBO back in the late 80s. I believe part of a series of dramatizations showing the war from different perspectives. There was one from a VC perspective that was quite good as I recall.
There's a semi-obscure movie from the late 60s called Beach Red that deals with the American invasion of a Pacific island during World War II that cuts away to the lives of various combatants in their civilian lives. Very different from the more romantic WWII movies of the time and clearly meant as a stand-in for Vietnam.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Last night's Venture Bros. was some of the most laugh-out-loud comedy the show has done in several years. The latter half was beautifully done heist comedy, zipping along at a chaotic pace. This season so far has been killin' it in terms of larger narrative and individual episode entertainment.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 3:35pm
Last night's Venture Bros. was some of the most laugh-out-loud comedy the show has done in several years. The latter half was beautifully done heist comedy, zipping along at a chaotic pace. This season so far has been killin' it in terms of larger narrative and individual episode entertainment.
I'm saving it all up on my DVR to watch in one go. Maybe 2.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 3:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'll be doing that once the season is over, too. The show, to me, has recaptured the magic of seasons 2, 3, and 4, before it downplayed some of the more obvious comedy in favour of the playing around with narrative and character. This season, I think, is showing the fruits of those efforts in the comedy, without sacrificing any commitment to the larger narrative. The show was never in danger of losing me, but this season does feel like the batteries have been recharged.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 3:50pm
Kory wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 3:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'll be doing that once the season is over, too. The show, to me, has recaptured the magic of seasons 2, 3, and 4, before it downplayed some of the more obvious comedy in favour of the playing around with narrative and character. This season, I think, is showing the fruits of those efforts in the comedy, without sacrificing any commitment to the larger narrative. The show was never in danger of losing me, but this season does feel like the batteries have been recharged.
I actually quite liked the last season, but this is an intriguing review. Looking forward to it.

edit: I got this book recently, and it's pretty thorough and fun to look at: https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/20-077/ ... re-Bros-HC
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 3:59pm
edit: I got this book recently, and it's pretty thorough and fun to look at: https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/20-077/ ... re-Bros-HC
I couldn't justify buying a copy, but I did locate a copy online. I haven't done more than a cursory skim, tho.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Decided to check out Norm Macdonald's Netflix show, catching the ones with David Spade and David Letterman. Ehh, it's okay, tho it really hit home how familiar and comfortable/comforting listening to David Letterman is. I watched him regularly in the 80s, but lost interest in the 90s—not in him, but the format, I suppose. But there's just something good hearing DL be mildly curmudgeonly. Mind you, it's still jarring seeing him as a really old man.

Each episode ends with a nostalgic nod to Canadian entertainment, with Norm and his sidekick doing the closing tune that Wayne and Shuster did at the end of their specials.