Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 8:38am
Wolter wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 8:30am
Silent Majority wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 2:26am
JennyB wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 2:24pm
Kory wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 1:39pm
I've been watching this show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I normally hate musical numbers, but this show has some smart and funny ones. It can get a little cute at times but I'm finding it quite entertaining and comedically well acted. Apparently, it's consistently the least-watched show on TV, which I definitely don't understand because it's too funny for that.
It's a GREAT show. I don't know how far you are into it, but later seasons tackle mental illness in a very real way.
My wife watches it - it looks good when I look up from a book.
Well, la-dee-dah, Mr. Literacy.
Last night, I watched an episode of Blackadder that I've seen 80 odd times. Just for the 45 seconds of Rik Mayall swashbuckling at the end. A Netflix binge drama is a lot more challenging than that.
Am I pleased to see you, or did I just put a canoe in my pocket?

Also: how can you read with a TV on? I need near silence.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 10:54am
Slowly this thread turns into an endorsement of The Big Bang Theory … :shifty:
More like Colombo and the Rockford Files.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 12:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Both Colombo and Rockford would smack the fuck out of BBT gang on principle.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 12:21pm
Silent Majority wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 8:38am
Wolter wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 8:30am
Silent Majority wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 2:26am
JennyB wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 2:24pm

It's a GREAT show. I don't know how far you are into it, but later seasons tackle mental illness in a very real way.
My wife watches it - it looks good when I look up from a book.
Well, la-dee-dah, Mr. Literacy.
Last night, I watched an episode of Blackadder that I've seen 80 odd times. Just for the 45 seconds of Rik Mayall swashbuckling at the end. A Netflix binge drama is a lot more challenging than that.
Am I pleased to see you, or did I just put a canoe in my pocket?

Also: how can you read with a TV on? I need near silence.
I grew up in a loud, argumentative house. I could read through a football riot during an earthquake.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 12:49pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Oh, a physicist, sure, I'm sure it's far too smart for a dummy like myself. My wife, now she loves all that science stuff. She's probably heard of you. Could I get an autograph, you know, for the wife? Oh, sir, sorry there was one final thing before I went. Now you tell me you've never heard of the deceased, Mr Wheaton? Why, then, is his email filled with threatening notes from your address?

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 12:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Oh, a physicist, sure, I'm sure it's far too smart for a dummy like myself. My wife, now she loves all that science stuff. She's probably heard of you. Could I get an autograph, you know, for the wife? Oh, sir, sorry there was one final thing before I went. Now you tell me you've never heard of the deceased, Mr Wheaton? Why, then, is his email filled with threatening notes from your address?
Nicely done! I'm cruder: I just want Jim to run over them all with his Firebird, then back up and repeat as many times as there are episodes of that awful show.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 12:59pm
Silent Majority wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 12:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Nicely done! I'm cruder: I just want Jim to run over them all with his Firebird, then back up and repeat as many times as there are episodes of that awful show.
Nicely done, before I go just want to ask what how you sent emails before it existed?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I Was not expecting X-Ray Spex in The Handmaids Tale!!!!!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

The Bob's Burgers where Gene plays baseball is on right now and its the best. They're all deucing it!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss and I are watching an episode of Barney Miller, which has led to two things:
1) The Boss has asserted that Hal Linden is really hot.
2) Me investigating and discovering that only Barney and Wojo are still alive.

Also, still one of the all-time super-cool theme songs.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Does it still hold up? It was a great show in its day.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 8:39pm
Does it still hold up? It was a great show in its day.
Sorry—just saw your question. I still like it quite a bit. The 1970s produced a lot of strong workplace sitcoms that were tinged with social realism and critique. Barney Miller was coloured by the generally dour view of big cities and the hangover of 1960s disruption.

Meanwhile, I've been rewatching the short-lived mid-70s cartoon, Return to the Planet of the Apes. It's a lot better than I recall. Better, in fact, than the live action tv series from around the same time.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 12:11pm

Meanwhile, I've been rewatching the short-lived mid-70s cartoon, Return to the Planet of the Apes. It's a lot better than I recall. Better, in fact, than the live action tv series from around the same time.
Huh.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 1:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 12:11pm

Huh.
The other tv series was pretty limp. Nothing distinctly PotA about it. It was like The Fugitive or The Invaders or The Incredible Hulk. Week after week, the heroes are pursued by bad guys / pursuing some kind of truth and stop in a town to help out before moving on. The cartoon has a larger on-going narrative—stuff actually happens.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Last night I flipped back and forth between the All-Star Game and the new Robin WIlliams, gradually spending more time on the latter. It didn't change my opinion that I don't find him all that funny—clips of his antics reminded me of why I found him so goddamned annoying most of the time—but his energy and willingness/need to put himself out there combined with a deep insecurity made him a tragic figure. Someone with that kind of spark or zeal betrayed by his brain into depression and suicide is horribly unjust.