The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Mar 2017, 2:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2017, 10:41am

There are a handful of songs that have the capacity to cause time travel. I am instantly sixteen when I hear this—it's unavoidable; I am incapable of listening to it in the present or at any other age—yet, thankfully, I'm a much happier version of sixteen when it's playing. The first fifteen seconds signal so much fun.
I count the album that's from as one of the best of all time. Hard to top.
While I'm mainly a singles fan of the Cure—at one time I was into their mopey stuff, now I only enjoy their pop side—that's my favourite album of theirs.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

There are a handful of songs that have the capacity to cause time travel. I am instantly sixteen when I hear this—it's unavoidable; I am incapable of listening to it in the present or at any other age—yet, thankfully, I'm a much happier version of sixteen when it's playing. The first fifteen seconds signal so much fun.
I've always enjoyed that one. Those mid 80's singles are the epitome of "tasty."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
14 Mar 2017, 3:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've always enjoyed that one. Those mid 80's singles are the epitome of "tasty."
This is why you're much preferable to Heston. :cool:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2017, 3:41pm
matedog wrote:
14 Mar 2017, 3:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This is why you're much preferable to Heston. :cool:
I quite enjoy the Japanese Whispers EP, too. The songs are a little less developed than this, but I like their mood.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Mar 2017, 5:14pm
I quite enjoy the Japanese Whispers EP, too. The songs are a little less developed than this, but I like their mood.
Maybe it's a case of overexposure, but I prefer the non-singles on that disc (mind you, I've never liked "The Walk").

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2017, 5:57pm
Kory wrote:
Maybe it's a case of overexposure, but I prefer the non-singles on that disc (mind you, I've never liked "The Walk").
I agree (not about "The Walk"), but I do like how the verses transition to chorus in "Let's Go To Bed."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Mar 2017, 6:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2017, 5:57pm
Kory wrote:
I agree (not about "The Walk"), but I do like how the verses transition to chorus in "Let's Go To Bed."
Yup, I agree.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I think that's the 2ND or 3rd Cure song Ive knowingly heard. It ain't bad but I don't know if I could take more than a few in one sitting. It's like a piece of cake it's good but really sweet so i may remove some of the frosting.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Mar 2017, 8:26am
I think that's the 2ND or 3rd Cure song Ive knowingly heard. It ain't bad but I don't know if I could take more than a few in one sitting. It's like a piece of cake it's good but really sweet so i may remove some of the frosting.
That's a fair assessment, I think, given that you're not a pop fan.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I think I'm officially Old. I had to go to a pharmacy this morning to stock up on vitamins and get some tiger balm for my back (I had almost recovered from the strain on Christmas Day, but shovelling a dump of snow we got a few days ago fucked it up again). I had over $60 worth of stuff and the woman at the till asked me if I was over 55, for a 20% discount. I laughed and said I'm still a few years off, but she said it was a tease to ask me and then not give me the discount, so, yay, my first senior citizen discount!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 11:21am
I think I'm officially Old. I had to go to a pharmacy this morning to stock up on vitamins and get some tiger balm for my back (I had almost recovered from the strain on Christmas Day, but shovelling a dump of snow we got a few days ago fucked it up again). I had over $60 worth of stuff and the woman at the till asked me if I was over 55, for a 20% discount. I laughed and said I'm still a few years off, but she said it was a tease to ask me and then not give me the discount, so, yay, my first senior citizen discount!
Yay? For the record, I don't think you look 55.

I have a cadre of facebook friends who sell MLM skincare products and claim to constantly be carded because their bullshit product makes them look 20. No, idiot, most places are required to card anyone under the age of 93.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 11:24am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 11:21am
Yay? For the record, I don't think you look 55.
That's what the missuz said when I told her. Not that it bothers me one way or another. That I dress immaturely makes me look younger, but not in a respectable way. Side note: After my first class on Monday, a student asked to take a picture of the t-shirt I was wearing.
I have a cadre of facebook friends who sell MLM skincare products and claim to constantly be carded because their bullshit product makes them look 20. No, idiot, most places are required to card anyone under the age of 93.
We take our comfort where we can find it.

edit: Additional side note: Holy crap but tiger balm penetrates the muscles. Definitely worth smelling like I'm wearing a cinnamon cologne.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

You know you are getting old when the injuries you used to get from playing sports you now get from doing fuck all and for no apparent reason.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 4:19pm
You know you are getting old when the injuries you used to get from playing sports you now get from doing fuck all and for no apparent reason.
You may have read my post a few months back about throwing my neck out while washing my hair.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 5:01pm
101Walterton wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 4:19pm
You may have read my post a few months back about throwing my neck out while washing my hair.
I thought that was a euphemism