The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
modskint
Dirty Punk

Re: The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Post by modskint »

Have had plantar fasciitis for years. Decades of skateboarding really did not help.

Things that helped me (only have flare-ups occasionally now):

1. The heel stretch- Face the wall about 18 inches away. Place you palms on the wall. Lean forward into the wall WITHOUT letting your heels come off the ground. Essentially you’re doing short press-ups into the wall while keeping your feet flat.

2. Roller therapy: This only does so much, but does provide short term relief.

3. This is the big one: Wear comfortable shoes. Pretty much all I’ve worn since age 13 have been Vans, bovver boots, or fashionable but unsupportive footwear (creepers, plimsoles, etc) In combination with skateboarding, it has really punished my feet. I’m 42 now and the change I made a few years ago has really made a massive difference. I can still wear Vans, as they have introduced a line with “ComfyCush” or “PopCush” insoles. I stack a Dr. Scholl’s insole on top and I am set. I am also a big fan of Nike ACG and Adidas Terrax lines of trail/hiking shoes. I can still break out the kicker boots for special occasions, but I am slowly old-manning it more and more every day. Another (fucking awful) option are non-skid workwear shoes. These are designed for all-day standing. When I was running the Waffle House, I spent the extra money for the New Balance work shoes.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

modskint wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 11:52am
Have had plantar fasciitis for years. Decades of skateboarding really did not help.

1. The heel stretch- Face the wall about 18 inches away. Place you palms on the wall. Lean forward into the wall WITHOUT letting your heels come off the ground. Essentially you’re doing short press-ups into the wall while keeping your feet flat.

3. This is the big one: Wear comfortable shoes. Pretty much all I’ve worn since age 13 have been Vans, bovver boots, or fashionable but unsupportive footwear (creepers, plimsoles, etc) In combination with skateboarding, it has really punished my feet. I’m 42 now and the change I made a few years ago has really made a massive difference. I can still wear Vans, as they have introduced a line with “ComfyCush” or “PopCush” insoles. I stack a Dr. Scholl’s insole on top and I am set. I am also a big fan of Nike ACG and Adidas Terrax lines of trail/hiking shoes. I can still break out the kicker boots for special occasions, but I am slowly old-manning it more and more every day. Another (fucking awful) option are non-skid workwear shoes. These are designed for all-day standing. When I was running the Waffle House, I spent the extra money for the New Balance work shoes.
I wear mostly just good running shoes, makes a huge difference.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 12:12pm
modskint wrote:

Yep. And stay away from flip flops. Those things are bad for feet.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Mimi wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 12:13pm
revbob wrote:
modskint wrote:

Hello,

Wearing running/walking shoes is very good advice - and spending a lot of time in flip-flops would be rough. I generally stick to Nike but I've heard good things about Hoka Hoka shoes - very soft and comfortable as well as supportive.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 12:36pm
Mimi wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 12:13pm
revbob wrote:
modskint wrote:

Hello,

Wearing running/walking shoes is very good advice - and spending a lot of time in flip-flops would be rough. I generally stick to Nike but I've heard good things about Hoka Hoka shoes - very soft and comfortable as well as supportive.
I used to wear solman trail running shoes until I got a bad pair. Ive switched to asics and have had good luck with them.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

modskint wrote:

That stretch is amazing. I've been wearing good shoes with some inserts that the podiatrist recommended. It has definitely helped.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sent to me by The Boss.
Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 11.38.59 AM.jpeg
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
14 Oct 2023, 9:24am
Painfully accurate depiction of my trip to Fairfield to see Bob Mould on Saturday night.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Hey all - I have been MIA for the past few days because I had my gallbladder removed. It came on super suddenly. Had the surgery on Thursday and came home yesterday. Got some decent drugs, but still in pain and gained 10 fucking pounds in the hospital over two days without even eating anything besides broth. It's fun! I've evidently had gallstones for years, but one decided to make a run for it and ended up blocking a duct, so that was what made the pain so awful. Worse than labor, believe it or not.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 5:00pm
Hey all - I have been MIA for the past few days because I had my gallbladder removed. It came on super suddenly. Had the surgery on Thursday and came home yesterday. Got some decent drugs, but still in pain and gained 10 fucking pounds in the hospital over two days without even eating anything besides broth. It's fun! I've evidently had gallstones for years, but one decided to make a run for it and ended up blocking a duct, so that was what made the pain so awful. Worse than labor, believe it or not.
Yikes! Relatively minor surgery, I know, but not when you're the recipient. Hope your recovery takes as long as the drug supply and not a day more (or less). Embrace all your indulgences!
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Thanks for the update Mrs B and glad you were able to get the care you needed and are resting up! Fingers crossed it will be a quick and complete recovery.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

You'll be over it soon Jenny and I have no real lasting effects

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello Jenny,

I hope you emerge from this adventure better than you entered! Good luck!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 5:00pm
Heal quickly!