The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: The Gen X Thread: Older, Fatter, Still Alienated

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 5:15pm
Kory wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 5:01pm
101Walterton wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 4:19pm
You know you are getting old when the injuries you used to get from playing sports you now get from doing fuck all and for no apparent reason.
You may have read my post a few months back about throwing my neck out while washing my hair.
I thought that was a euphemism
I have hurt myself doing the following things in the past year:
1. Sleeping
2. Sneezing
3. Walking at a regular pace over flat ground
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 6:26pm
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
You know you are getting old when the injuries you used to get from playing sports you now get from doing fuck all and for no apparent reason.
You may have read my post a few months back about throwing my neck out while washing my hair.
1. Sleeping
2. Sneezing
I find this list of your weaknesses VERY illuminating.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 7:14pm
Wolter wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
1. Sleeping
2. Sneezing
He also cries while watching GI Joe cartoons. It's simultaneously sweet and sickening.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
1. Sleeping
2. Sneezing
Oh, it’s easier and quicker to list what I’m not vulnerable to.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I just turned 50 and after living a life of working outdoors on ships in the summer and working as a stagehand in the winter I've got so many aches and pains and have had several surgeries but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Everytime something hurts, it makes me smile and think oh I had a good time getting that one

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 7:16pm
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:

1. Sleeping
2. Sneezing
He also cries while watching GI Joe cartoons. It's simultaneously sweet and sickening.
I HAVE NEVER CRIED WHILE WATCHING THE CARTOON.

IT WAS THE COMIC. WHEN KWINN DIED.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 11:52am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 7:16pm
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

1. Sleeping
2. Sneezing
I HAVE NEVER CRIED WHILE WATCHING THE CARTOON.

IT WAS THE COMIC. WHEN KWINN DIED.
Speaking as a Euro-Canadian, your empathy for him is confounding.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 11:56am
edit: Additional side note: Holy crap but tiger balm penetrates the muscles. Definitely worth smelling like I'm wearing a cinnamon cologne.
Oh man, second year undergrad I lived with the basketball team, who had their rookie night at our house. One of the hazing things was to wear a jock loaded with tiger balm. This was their third or fourth stop, so everyone was already really drunk when they were instructed to disrobe and led to the dark basement and told to put on the jocks — which they didn't know were laced with the deadly poison.

I'll never forget the screams.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 2:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 11:56am
edit: Additional side note: Holy crap but tiger balm penetrates the muscles. Definitely worth smelling like I'm wearing a cinnamon cologne.
Oh man, second year undergrad I lived with the basketball team, who had their rookie night at our house. One of the hazing things was to wear a jock loaded with tiger balm. This was their third or fourth stop, so everyone was already really drunk when they were instructed to disrobe and led to the dark basement and told to put on the jocks — which they didn't know were laced with the deadly poison.

I'll never forget the screams.
That's horrible. Absolutely nothing penetrates deeply like tiger balm and activates like pure fire. How many of those guys ended up being sterile?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Okay, this will be a totally duh observation (it is, after all, my speciality), but because I don't do Facebook or anything like that, my encounters with people with whom I went to high school is very rare. One guy whom I hadn't thought of in maybe twenty years popped into my head this morning, so I hunted him down and found his Facebook page. And it turns out he's "friends" with pretty much everyone we went to high school with, so my voyeur activities expanded considerably. And, holy crap, the vast majority of them look seriously old. Beaten-up by life old. Flabby and wrinkly old. Nose getting bigger old. Not aging gracefully, but slammed by a wizard's curse. Sure, the top of my head does not suggest youth, but I was in a rare situation of looking at others, comparing them to me, and feeling pretty good about myself.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 1:15pm
Okay, this will be a totally duh observation (it is, after all, my speciality), but because I don't do Facebook or anything like that, my encounters with people with whom I went to high school is very rare. One guy whom I hadn't thought of in maybe twenty years popped into my head this morning, so I hunted him down and found his Facebook page. And it turns out he's "friends" with pretty much everyone we went to high school with, so my voyeur activities expanded considerably. And, holy crap, the vast majority of them look seriously old. Beaten-up by life old. Flabby and wrinkly old. Nose getting bigger old. Not aging gracefully, but slammed by a wizard's curse. Sure, the top of my head does not suggest youth, but I was in a rare situation of looking at others, comparing them to me, and feeling pretty good about myself.
Any Biff Tannens failing satisfyingly?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 2:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
An alarming number of people still living in that same shitty hometown that has gotten shittier since I escaped. I'm betraying a cosmopolitan snobbery here, but I regard that as failure. The next and final time that I'll set foot in that town is my mother's funeral.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 2:30pm
Silent Majority wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 2:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
An alarming number of people still living in that same shitty hometown that has gotten shittier since I escaped. I'm betraying a cosmopolitan snobbery here, but I regard that as failure. The next and final time that I'll set foot in that town is my mother's funeral.
Six months living in West Michigan alerted me to the fact that few there ever leave. We do a weekend a month in Chicago of Detroit so that we can eat seasoned food when we dine out. I find that people think we are very exotic.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I go back to my home town every so often. Sometimes I'll see someone I recognize. I just observe.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 9:37pm
I go back to my home town every so often. Sometimes I'll see someone I recognize. I just observe.

I was riding with my dad through his old neighborhood when I was in high school.

“Dad, is that Uncle Ken?”

“Yup”

He just kept driving.