Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
daredevil
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4540
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:35pm
Contact:

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by daredevil » 09 May 2012, 7:22pm

matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:Oh, and I don't know if it counts since it's technically not a TZ production - tho it was aired as a TZ episode: An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. Very powerful.

I don't remember "I Sing the Body Electric" as being very good, but it was written by Ray Bradbury which is awesome. it doesn't instill the proper fear about the inevitable rise of robots tho, which is less awesome.
I tried to show Owl Creek Bridge in my sophomore year English class, but the teacher waited so damn long, that we only got like five minutes into the ep before class ended. The big surprise was never revealed, it was just the dude running around.

Encounter was also great and probably WAY ahead of its time in terms of addressing racial issues. The one problem was that Takei's character admits that he or his relatives (don't remember) were actually traitors in some fashion which was not true to real life and very counterproductive.
Encounter is one episode I've never watched.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15393
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by JennyB » 09 May 2012, 8:37pm

Anyone know if TZ episodes are available on Netflix? I'm too lazy to tap on my Netflix app.

ETA: a burst of energy lead me to discover that, indeed, they are!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31914
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by tepista » 09 May 2012, 9:14pm

JennyB wrote:Anyone know if TZ episodes are available on Netflix? I'm too lazy to tap on my Netflix app.

ETA: a burst of energy lead me to discover that, indeed, they are!
yes, the entire series is on instant
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15393
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by JennyB » 09 May 2012, 9:16pm

tepista wrote:
JennyB wrote:Anyone know if TZ episodes are available on Netflix? I'm too lazy to tap on my Netflix app.

ETA: a burst of energy lead me to discover that, indeed, they are!
yes, the entire series is on instant
Just watched the genie one. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31914
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by tepista » 09 May 2012, 9:19pm

JennyB wrote:
tepista wrote:
JennyB wrote:Anyone know if TZ episodes are available on Netflix? I'm too lazy to tap on my Netflix app.

ETA: a burst of energy lead me to discover that, indeed, they are!
yes, the entire series is on instant
Just watched the genie one. :mrgreen:
I suppose I'll watch Owl Creek and Encounter soon, since they aren't ringing any bells.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25036
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by Flex » 09 May 2012, 9:20pm

tepista wrote:I suppose I'll watch Owl Creek and Encounter soon, since they aren't ringing any bells.
I schooled tep at Twilight Zone. :cool:

(There are a bunch listed here that don't ring any bells for me)
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31914
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by tepista » 09 May 2012, 9:28pm

Flex wrote:
tepista wrote:I suppose I'll watch Owl Creek and Encounter soon, since they aren't ringing any bells.
I schooled tep at Twilight Zone. :cool:

(There are a bunch listed here that don't ring any bells for me)
Season 5 eps 23 & 31 respectively, I may just watch them tonight!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by Dr. Medulla » 09 May 2012, 9:31pm

To my memory, four Star Trek actors were in TZ eps—The Shat, Nimoy, Doohan, and Takei.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31914
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by tepista » 09 May 2012, 10:04pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:To my memory, four Star Trek actors were in TZ eps—The Shat, Nimoy, Doohan, and Takei.
Uhura could have only been in Big Tall Wish, cuz thats the only one I can think of that had black people.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

TJM
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 200
Joined: 09 Jul 2008, 10:53pm

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by TJM » 10 May 2012, 11:05am

I always liked the Billy Mumy one where he is the kid who controls the universe...turns his dad into a jack in the box. Maybe I like that one because it's a Simpson's Treehouse episode but the theme of adults doing everything to appease a child shows up in a bunch of movies/TV. Somebody mentioned the pre Mel Vic Tayback Talking Tina ep. that I love. There was also a western ep where some guy cons someone into paying him to bring back a dead family member then cons the rest of the town to pay him to not bring their family back to keep the horrible secrets they hold buried. Many great ones; I'm not much of a TZ scholar anymore...Maybe I'll go to the remedial class on Netflix.

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31914
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by tepista » 10 May 2012, 12:48pm

TJM wrote:I always liked the Billy Mumy one where he is the kid who controls the universe...turns his dad into a jack in the box. Maybe I like that one because it's a Simpson's Treehouse episode but the theme of adults doing everything to appease a child shows up in a bunch of movies/TV. Somebody mentioned the pre Mel Vic Tayback Talking Tina ep. that I love. There was also a western ep where some guy cons someone into paying him to bring back a dead family member then cons the rest of the town to pay him to not bring their family back to keep the horrible secrets they hold buried. Many great ones; I'm not much of a TZ scholar anymore...Maybe I'll go to the remedial class on Netflix.
That was a good one, good call. Talking Tina was Telly Savales though, eh, bald guys all look the same! ;)


I watched Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and the Encounter last night. They were both OK, I wouldn't call either a to episode. Neville Brand from Encounter, the one who wasn't George Takei, was in a lot of horror films when he got old.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

TJM
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 200
Joined: 09 Jul 2008, 10:53pm

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by TJM » 10 May 2012, 2:33pm

tepista wrote:
TJM wrote:I always liked the Billy Mumy one where he is the kid who controls the universe...turns his dad into a jack in the box. Maybe I like that one because it's a Simpson's Treehouse episode but the theme of adults doing everything to appease a child shows up in a bunch of movies/TV. Somebody mentioned the pre Mel Vic Tayback Talking Tina ep. that I love. There was also a western ep where some guy cons someone into paying him to bring back a dead family member then cons the rest of the town to pay him to not bring their family back to keep the horrible secrets they hold buried. Many great ones; I'm not much of a TZ scholar anymore...Maybe I'll go to the remedial class on Netflix.
That was a good one, good call. Talking Tina was Telly Savales though, eh, bald guys all look the same! ;)


I watched Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and the Encounter last night. They were both OK, I wouldn't call either a to episode. Neville Brand from Encounter, the one who wasn't George Takei, was in a lot of horror films when he got old.
Holy shit! I could have sworn it was Vic Tayback, I'll give myself a pass since I haven't seen it in about 10 years. I'm gonna netflix a few on the phone at lunch next week.

sidisaproblem
User avatar
Corner Soul
Posts: 22
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 11:15am
Location: New Jersey

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by sidisaproblem » 10 May 2012, 9:48pm

tepista wrote:
JennyB wrote:Anyone know if TZ episodes are available on Netflix? I'm too lazy to tap on my Netflix app.

ETA: a burst of energy lead me to discover that, indeed, they are!
yes, the entire series is on instant
I just got netflix and it's great that I can watch the Twilight Zone every day instead of on New Years and the 4th of July, or whenever the SyFy network decides to air it.

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31914
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by tepista » 10 May 2012, 9:53pm

sidisaproblem wrote:
tepista wrote:
JennyB wrote:Anyone know if TZ episodes are available on Netflix? I'm too lazy to tap on my Netflix app.

ETA: a burst of energy lead me to discover that, indeed, they are!
yes, the entire series is on instant
I just got netflix and it's great that I can watch the Twilight Zone every day instead of on New Years and the 4th of July, or whenever the SyFy network decides to air it.
Also SyFy was editing them I noticed. 30 seconds here, 30 seconds there, more commercials.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25036
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by Flex » 10 May 2012, 9:56pm

tepista wrote:Also SyFy was editing them I noticed. 30 seconds here, 30 seconds there, more commercials.
The ones on Netflix must come straight from the DVD source too, because they're cleaner than the ones shown on SyFy (to my eyes, anyways). I started watching TZ on Neflix instant last night and I was pretty impressed with the clarity and sharpness of the prints.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests