Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just watched an episode on youtube of the 80s remake about a time traveler preventing JFK's assassination (I was reminded of it by a friend's comment in an email). Pretty weak and predictable stuff—change the past and the results are even worse, so you have to go set things right, no matter how painful that is, blah blah blah. Even the slight twist is … whatever. Of note, Andy Robinson (Garak from DS9) plays the least convincing JFK of all time. And Lane Smith, who played one of the least convincing Nixons I've seen in some mini-series, is the time traveler. In sum, a reminder why the Twilight Zone remake was pretty damned thin.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Just watched an episode on youtube of the 80s remake about a time traveler preventing JFK's assassination (I was reminded of it by a friend's comment in an email). Pretty weak and predictable stuff—change the past and the results are even worse, so you have to go set things right, no matter how painful that is, blah blah blah. Even the slight twist is … whatever. Of note, Andy Robinson (Garak from DS9) plays the least convincing JFK of all time. And Lane Smith, who played one of the least convincing Nixons I've seen in some mini-series, is the time traveler. In sum, a reminder why the Twilight Zone remake was pretty damned thin.
was this a remake of the one where Professor Russel Johnson tries to save Lincoln?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Oh yeah, so last week I finished watching every episode of the original series. Great stuff, incredible consistency in quality. Even the somewhat maligned seasons four and five had their shares of worthwhile moments (lots of classics in season five, but the season is brought down with "filler" episodes that were tedious retreads rather than enjoyable minor episodes like in earlier seasons).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Just watched an episode on youtube of the 80s remake about a time traveler preventing JFK's assassination (I was reminded of it by a friend's comment in an email). Pretty weak and predictable stuff—change the past and the results are even worse, so you have to go set things right, no matter how painful that is, blah blah blah. Even the slight twist is … whatever. Of note, Andy Robinson (Garak from DS9) plays the least convincing JFK of all time. And Lane Smith, who played one of the least convincing Nixons I've seen in some mini-series, is the time traveler. In sum, a reminder why the Twilight Zone remake was pretty damned thin.
was this a remake of the one where Professor Russel Johnson tries to save Lincoln?
No, not a proper remake. More working familiar territory. You could see someone doing the same story where a guy stops the Sept 11 hijackers then finds out it leads to a nuclear war, so he has to go back and make sure the hijackers are successful. Paint-by-numbers time travel story.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:Oh yeah, so last week I finished watching every episode of the original series. Great stuff, incredible consistency in quality. Even the somewhat maligned seasons four and five had their shares of worthwhile moments (lots of classics in season five, but the season is brought down with "filler" episodes that were tedious retreads rather than enjoyable minor episodes like in earlier seasons).
My new favorite game with the help of IMDB, which I'm quite good at, is identifying the TZ episode an actor or actress was in when I see them in Boris Karloff's Thriller of Alfred Hitchcock Hour, which I've been watching a shitload of lately.

I know that broad, she was in "Number 12 Looks Just Like You" click click BAM!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
Flex wrote:Oh yeah, so last week I finished watching every episode of the original series. Great stuff, incredible consistency in quality. Even the somewhat maligned seasons four and five had their shares of worthwhile moments (lots of classics in season five, but the season is brought down with "filler" episodes that were tedious retreads rather than enjoyable minor episodes like in earlier seasons).
My new favorite game with the help of IMDB, which I'm quite good at, is identifying the TZ episode an actor or actress was in when I see them in Boris Karloff's Thriller of Alfred Hitchcock Hour, which I've been watching a shitload of lately.

I know that broad, she was in "Number 12 Looks Just Like You" click click BAM!
Fritz Weaver was on a Law and Order re-run last night. I only know him from TZ.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote: Fritz Weaver was on a Law and Order re-run last night. I only know him from TZ.
He's all over TV appearances, I even saw him in a Tales From the Darkside as an old man. I guess he waould be an old man in L&O too, maybe even older. He was a pretty good "machines take over" flick called Demon Seed.

Demon Seed (1977) Fritz Weaver from many Twilight Zone episodes plays a scientist who creates a self aware computer, who commandeers his house with wife Julie Christie inside, and insists she birth his child. How does a robot impregnate a human? I was never really clear on that myself, but the robot did build this diamond stretchy thing that can kill people and do other stuff, and Julie showed brief glimpses of her skinny butt and titties. A highlight for me was when Weaver said the word "obsolete" because the episode of Twilight Zone where he says the same thing is one of my faves. It took a page from 2001: A Space Oddesy and it was cheesier than it intended itself, but was fun.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Cowink, I saw another (awful) movie with Fritz Weaver today.

Right now I'm watching a Hitchcock episode from 1961 with Jessica Walter, and she was a motherfucking fox. At least a decade younger than she was in Play Misty.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

In Arrested Development, she always looked like the charred remnants of an amazingly beautiful woman.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Fact check: The episode was 1964, and Misty was 1971.

Hilarity check: Jessica had her own show in 1974 where she played "San Francisco's first female Chief of Detectives!" It lasted three episodes.

Amy Prentiss is a beautiful thirty-something detective on the San Francisco police force who was unexpectedly promoted to chief following the sudden death of her predecessor. Between solving the city's most perplexing crimes and battling sexism within the department, Amy raises her pre-teen daughter Jill (Helen Hunt)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070965/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ha!

Yesterday a student made a reference to the Dennis Hopper-Hitler episode. Of all the great TZ episodes, and that one is cited? Weird times.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yesterday KTLA had a TZ marathon, so I caught a few. One was "The Hitch-Hiker" with the fetching Inger Stevens. I googled a bit and found out that the story was a 20-year-old radio play, which I found on youtube, downloaded, and listened to on my walk to campus this afternoon. It's introduced by Orson Welles and, dammit, I can only hear Maurice LaMarche now, even when it's the real Welles. As he's talking about the story, I'm hearing "Rosebud Frozen Peas."

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Yesterday KTLA had a TZ marathon, so I caught a few.
How do you get KTLA?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Yesterday KTLA had a TZ marathon, so I caught a few.
How do you get KTLA?
One of the channels on our cable package. We get a lot of the non-network channels, like TBS and WGN.