Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Best Twilight Zone episode. Go.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:Any love for the 1983 movie? I loved it as a kid.
Liked it as a kid, but I haven't seen it in some time, so I don't know how well it would hold up for me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I really don't like "Time Enough At Last." It's a wholly mean-spirited, unjust story. Burgess Meredith is a decent guy, whose chief failing is that he loves to read. More than anything else. He's surrounded by assholes who pick on him because of this. Then, huzzah, the world is wiped out and he can read all he wants. And his glasses break. What did he do to deserve that? A frequent theme of TZ is that assholes get their comeuppance in the end. But BM wasn't a bad guy, yet even when he gets a chance to live his life free from assholes, he gets fucked over. One can appreciate the twist, I guess, but it's still really fucking cruel.
I hear ya, but in real life good/ordinary people get fucked over every day.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

some personal faves of mine that haven't been mentioned are the Shelter, Steel, the Grave, Obsolete Man, Nick of Time, just off the top of my head

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Monsters are Due, Rip Van Winkle, and Two are great, so is Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Liked it as a kid, but I haven't seen it in some time, so I don't know how well it would hold up for me.
Not well.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

What You Need.

Twenty-Two isn't wasn't the one of the best best, but he way the chick delivers the line "Room for one more, Honey" is classic.

I like Midnight Sun. The one where the asshole sells the old Mexican man magic dust, I can't think of that title.

A Most Unusual Camera is fun.

The one where the antique dealers find a genie.

The Fever and Prime Mover are very good

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I really don't like "Time Enough At Last." It's a wholly mean-spirited, unjust story. Burgess Meredith is a decent guy, whose chief failing is that he loves to read. More than anything else. He's surrounded by assholes who pick on him because of this. Then, huzzah, the world is wiped out and he can read all he wants. And his glasses break. What did he do to deserve that? A frequent theme of TZ is that assholes get their comeuppance in the end. But BM wasn't a bad guy, yet even when he gets a chance to live his life free from assholes, he gets fucked over. One can appreciate the twist, I guess, but it's still really fucking cruel.
I really would have expected Doc to have loved that episode for the same reason I do: it's hilariously bleak. It's one of the most nihilistically black comedies of the century. All that poor bastard needed to do was divorce his shrew bitch of a wife and pick up a sexy little librarian, and join the burgeoning bohemian movement. Bang!
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Silent Majority wrote:
tepista wrote:
I really would have expected Doc to have loved that episode for the same reason I do: it's hilariously bleak. It's one of the most nihilistically black comedies of the century. All that poor bastard needed to do was divorce his shrew bitch of a wife and pick up a sexy little librarian, and join the burgeoning bohemian movement. Bang!
Seriously, what on earth could happened once upon a time that those two would get married?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

tepista wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
tepista wrote:
Seriously, what on earth could happened once upon a time that those two would get married?
Same thing for the Willoughby train episode. He has a 100% unlikeable wretch of a wife.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
tepista wrote:
No, I don't like stories where the little guy keeps getting kicked, especially in the context of TZ, which is all about somehow setting the universe right.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:Twenty-Two isn't wasn't the one of the best best, but he way the chick delivers the line "Room for one more, Honey" is classic.
Excellent story, but being shot on video tape just ruins it for me. B&W video tape is without a doubt the most unwatchable format.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
tepista wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
tepista wrote:
Same thing for the Willoughby train episode. He has a 100% unlikeable wretch of a wife.
It's fair enough that his boss wouldn't let him read at the bank - you're here to work, Hollis! - but the wife was just awful.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

It's OK. I remember watching the news that Vic Morrow and 2 kids were killed during filming.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
It's OK. I remember watching the news that Vic Morrow and 2 kids were killed during filming.
That was terrible. I read up on it a few years back.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

sidisaproblem
Corner Soul

Post by sidisaproblem »

The one with Talky Tina, I don't remember the name of the episode though.