Top 5 Comedians?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7406
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by Kory » 26 Sep 2016, 2:51am

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Poor old Terry Jones has been diagnosed with dementia at 74.
:( My favour of the Pythons. What a particularly cruel and unjust fate for someone of his abilities.
Mine too. :(

I have a secret theory that a sign of comedic maturity is realizing how good Terry Jones was compared to the flashier members.
I love that guy so much. There's a song that he does on the Contractual Obligation album that never fails to crack me up uncontrollably when it gets to the climax:

Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5309
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by revbob » 27 Sep 2016, 9:25pm

Perhaps it is my aging eyes but I just read this as top 5 Canadians.

Now that's a tough list.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 27 Sep 2016, 9:45pm

revbob wrote:Perhaps it is my aging eyes but I just read this as top 5 Canadians.

Now that's a tough list.
Remember, it's not fair to include me more than once, so you still need to come up with #s 2 thru 5.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5309
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by revbob » 27 Sep 2016, 9:55pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:Perhaps it is my aging eyes but I just read this as top 5 Canadians.

Now that's a tough list.
Remember, it's not fair to include me more than once, so you still need to come up with #s 2 thru 5.
Yeah I'd put you above any of my relatives anyway. Joey Shithead Keithly goes in there somewhere too, along with John Candy and Dan Aykroyd.

So I guess I need one more, oh hell Neil Young.

You're in damn good company, that or the pool is pretty shallow. :shifty:

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7406
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by Kory » 27 Sep 2016, 11:28pm

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:Perhaps it is my aging eyes but I just read this as top 5 Canadians.

Now that's a tough list.
Remember, it's not fair to include me more than once, so you still need to come up with #s 2 thru 5.
Yeah I'd put you above any of my relatives anyway. Joey Shithead Keithly goes in there somewhere too, along with John Candy and Dan Aykroyd.

So I guess I need one more, oh hell Neil Young.

You're in damn good company, that or the pool is pretty shallow. :shifty:
1. Dave Sim
2. Jim Carrey
3. Phil Hartman
4. John Candy
5. John K.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49247
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by Wolter » 28 Sep 2016, 12:57am

Kory wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:Perhaps it is my aging eyes but I just read this as top 5 Canadians.

Now that's a tough list.
Remember, it's not fair to include me more than once, so you still need to come up with #s 2 thru 5.
Yeah I'd put you above any of my relatives anyway. Joey Shithead Keithly goes in there somewhere too, along with John Candy and Dan Aykroyd.

So I guess I need one more, oh hell Neil Young.

You're in damn good company, that or the pool is pretty shallow. :shifty:
1. Dave Sim
2. Jim Carrey
3. Phil Hartman
4. John Candy
5. John K.
1-5. The Kids In the Hall

Also, The classic Nomeansno lineup of the Wright Brothers and Andy Kerr...
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 28 Sep 2016, 6:16am

Wasn't it understood that I occupied the #1 spot on anyone's list? You only have to come up with four also-rans. :naughty:
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15393
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by JennyB » 28 Sep 2016, 9:48am

Dr. Medulla wrote:Wasn't it understood that I occupied the #1 spot on anyone's list? You only have to come up with four also-rans. :naughty:
1. Doc Medulla
2. Justin Trudeau
3. Andrea Martin
4. Scott Thompson
5. Eugene Levy
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 28 Sep 2016, 10:01am

That's more like it!
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15393
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by JennyB » 28 Sep 2016, 10:06am

Dr. Medulla wrote:That's more like it!
Seriously, though. Andrea Martin is such an underrated goddamn treasure. She is amazing on Difficult People as the overbearing Jewish mom, which, of course, I would know nothing about. :shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 28 Sep 2016, 10:17am

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:That's more like it!
Seriously, though. Andrea Martin is such an underrated goddamn treasure. She is amazing on Difficult People as the overbearing Jewish mom, which, of course, I would know nothing about. :shifty:
Apart from just being incredibly well-written and -performed sketch comedy, SCTV was notable for every damned one of its core performers going on to significant work thereafter.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49247
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by Wolter » 28 Sep 2016, 1:12pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:That's more like it!
Seriously, though. Andrea Martin is such an underrated goddamn treasure. She is amazing on Difficult People as the overbearing Jewish mom, which, of course, I would know nothing about. :shifty:
Apart from just being incredibly well-written and -performed sketch comedy, SCTV was notable for every damned one of its core performers going on to significant work thereafter.
That's because (at least back then, it seems to be less so now), the Second City focused on character creation over straight up joking. Just so many amazing actors came though that program. I say actors because they were all funny people, but they could all actually act.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7406
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by Kory » 28 Sep 2016, 3:41pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:Wasn't it understood that I occupied the #1 spot on anyone's list? You only have to come up with four also-rans. :naughty:
I didn't want to seem like a kiss-ass. You're more like #0.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 28 Sep 2016, 4:22pm

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Wasn't it understood that I occupied the #1 spot on anyone's list? You only have to come up with four also-rans. :naughty:
I didn't want to seem like a kiss-ass. You're more like #0.
That could be interpreted several ways …
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7406
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by Kory » 28 Sep 2016, 7:12pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Wasn't it understood that I occupied the #1 spot on anyone's list? You only have to come up with four also-rans. :naughty:
I didn't want to seem like a kiss-ass. You're more like #0.
That could be interpreted several ways …
You know, like, when a comic book has a #0. It's like a special convention-only release. Highly sought-after, but not totally necessary.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests