Top 5 Comedians?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by Chuck Mangione »

This guy has a very funny, grim and sarcastic humor to him that I like. Maybe a better choice for a British stand-up comedian than Gervais. Plus I love the whole Never Mind the Buzzcocks series. Usually has top notch comedians. Great stuff.
[youtube][/youtube]
Clash mention towards the end.
[youtube][/youtube]

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

One of my favorite Dave Chappelle bits. Everything about his delivery is perfect. He knows how to use his voice when telling a joke.
[youtube][/youtube]

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I assume we're basically talking comedians based on the strength of their stand-up (or stand-up-like-performances). Don't know if I could order the top five in any kind of definitive way, but:

Bill Hicks
Louis CK
Patton Oswalt
Stewart Lee
Richard Pryor

Expanded out to the top ten I'd add Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Sarah Silverman, Dave Chapelle and Bill Cosby. Chris Rock's best material would place him in the top five but he's so freakin' inconsistent. Even if he didn't consider himself such, Andy Kaufman is certainly worth praising in any discussion of this topic. Plenty of solid, funny stand-up material from the likes of Jim Gaffigan, Eddie Murphy, Steve Martin, Norm MacDonald, Eddie Izzard, early David Cross, and so forth. Gilda Radner put out one pretty decent stand-up album before passing away. Never really connected with Mitch Hedburg, although I don't find him hateful or anything.

I have fond memories of growing up listening to Rodney Dangerfield cassettes.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I hate these lists for a variety of reasons, all of which are pompous and properly pissy. Carlin is a modern profit with great insights to the silliness of humanity both goofy and evil. Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy deserve big props. Rodney Dangerfield, Sam Kinison, Louis CK, and Dave Chapelle all make me laugh quite a bit. Hell, I love Benny Hill more than anyone.

BostonBeaneater

No one fell over a chair better than John Ritter.

BostonBeaneater

Jesus, Groucho, Chicko, and Harpo.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Jesus was pretty funny in his prime.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chuck Mangione wrote:Jesus was pretty funny in his prime.
Yeah but he hung around for too long.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Derek and Clive
Bill Hicks
Richard Pryor
George Carlin
George Bush
John Belushi

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Bill Hicks and early Billy Connelly are the only stand-ups who have actually had me in tears, when I first saw Hick's "Revelations" it totally blew me away, a real shock and awe moment...

Like Heston I vividly remember when "An audience with Billy Connelly" was first broadcast, my then Wife and I couldn't get a sitter for our 1st born on New Years Eve 1985/86 and we had grumpily settled for an evening in front of the TV watching the usual dross that passed for seasonal entertainment back then, to say we weren't exactly a receptive audience would be a massive understatement. Halfway through his routine I had to leave the room because I was in so much pain, aching sides, tears and snot shooting out..

Of todays generation I like Doug Stanhope, Eddy Izzard and Louis Ck, I saw Stephen Merchant do an early stand-up at Shepherds Bush Hall a couple of years back and I think he's even funnier than Gervais who can be a bit hit and miss with me......His 1st line was something about not usually doing any stand-up but he was fed up with that fat bastard taking half the money for everything he did, he also had a couple of Golden Globes and Brit awards in a carrier bag which he used as props to great effect..
Last edited by Purple Hayes on 19 Oct 2011, 9:59am, edited 1 time in total.
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Chuck Mangione wrote:This guy has a very funny, grim and sarcastic humor to him that I like. Maybe a better choice for a British stand-up comedian than Gervais. Plus I love the whole Never Mind the Buzzcocks series. Usually has top notch comedians. Great stuff.
[youtube][/youtube]
Clash mention towards the end.
[youtube][/youtube]
If you like Jack Dee, check out his series "Lead Balloon" which has it's moments but has too much of a "Curb your Enthusiasm" rip-off feel to it for my liking..
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
:mrgreen:

Still loving them shoes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:No one fell over a chair better than John Ritter.
I was actually really sad when he died.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Purple Hayes wrote:Bill Hicks and early Billy Connelly are the only stand-ups who have actually had me in tears, when I first saw Hick's "Revelations" it totally blew me away, a real shock and awe moment...

Like Heston I vividly remember when "An audience with Billy Connelly" was first broadcast, my then Wife and I couldn't get a sitter for our 1st born on New Years Eve 1985/86 and we had grumpily settled for an evening in front of the TV watching the usual dross that passed for seasonal entertainment back then, to say we weren't exactly a receptive audience would be a massive understatement. Halfway through his routine I had to leave the room because I was in so much pain, aching sides, tears and snot shooting out..

Of todays generation I like Doug Stanhope, Eddy Izzard and Louis Ck, I saw Stephen Merchant do an early stand-up at Shepherds Bush Hall a couple of years back and I think he's even funnier than Gervais who can be a bit hit and miss with me......His 1st line was something about not usually doing any stand-up but he was fed up with that fat bastard taking half the money for everything he did, he also had a couple of Golden Globes and Brit awards in a carrier bag which he used as props to great effect..

Eddie Izzard agreed.
I saw Billy Connolly in Auckland a couple of years ago. He was very very funny however I probably had the bonus of not having seen him at all on TV in 15 years so hadn't heard any of the jokes before. Also saw Ben Elton a while back who was good but he is very hit and miss, his writing is better than his stand up.