Top 5 Comedians?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Top 5 Comedians?

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:Bill Hicks and early Billy Connelly are the only stand-ups who have actually had me in tears, when I first saw Hick's "Revelations" it totally blew me away, a real shock and awe moment...

Like Heston I vividly remember when "An audience with Billy Connelly" was first broadcast, my then Wife and I couldn't get a sitter for our 1st born on New Years Eve 1985/86 and we had grumpily settled for an evening in front of the TV watching the usual dross that passed for seasonal entertainment back then, to say we weren't exactly a receptive audience would be a massive understatement. Halfway through his routine I had to leave the room because I was in so much pain, aching sides, tears and snot shooting out..

Of todays generation I like Doug Stanhope, Eddy Izzard and Louis Ck, I saw Stephen Merchant do an early stand-up at Shepherds Bush Hall a couple of years back and I think he's even funnier than Gervais who can be a bit hit and miss with me......His 1st line was something about not usually doing any stand-up but he was fed up with that fat bastard taking half the money for everything he did, he also had a couple of Golden Globes and Brit awards in a carrier bag which he used as props to great effect..

Eddie Izzard agreed.
I saw Billy Connolly in Auckland a couple of years ago. He was very very funny however I probably had the bonus of not having seen him at all on TV in 15 years so hadn't heard any of the jokes before. Also saw Ben Elton a while back who was good but he is very hit and miss, his writing is better than his stand up.
I used to love Ben Elton in the 80s, but he lost his way somewhere.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:Bill Hicks and early Billy Connelly are the only stand-ups who have actually had me in tears, when I first saw Hick's "Revelations" it totally blew me away, a real shock and awe moment...

Like Heston I vividly remember when "An audience with Billy Connelly" was first broadcast, my then Wife and I couldn't get a sitter for our 1st born on New Years Eve 1985/86 and we had grumpily settled for an evening in front of the TV watching the usual dross that passed for seasonal entertainment back then, to say we weren't exactly a receptive audience would be a massive understatement. Halfway through his routine I had to leave the room because I was in so much pain, aching sides, tears and snot shooting out..

Of todays generation I like Doug Stanhope, Eddy Izzard and Louis Ck, I saw Stephen Merchant do an early stand-up at Shepherds Bush Hall a couple of years back and I think he's even funnier than Gervais who can be a bit hit and miss with me......His 1st line was something about not usually doing any stand-up but he was fed up with that fat bastard taking half the money for everything he did, he also had a couple of Golden Globes and Brit awards in a carrier bag which he used as props to great effect..

Eddie Izzard agreed.
I saw Billy Connolly in Auckland a couple of years ago. He was very very funny however I probably had the bonus of not having seen him at all on TV in 15 years so hadn't heard any of the jokes before. Also saw Ben Elton a while back who was good but he is very hit and miss, his writing is better than his stand up.
I used to love Ben Elton in the 80s, but he lost his way somewhere.
I think what was new, exciting and cutting edge just became the norm :meh:

Heston

Post by Heston »

Steve Coogan is probably my favourite comedy actor, though his stand-up isn't that great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:Steve Coogan is probably my favourite comedy actor, though his stand-up isn't that great.
Plus Catherine Tate and Paul Whitehouse.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:Steve Coogan is probably my favourite comedy actor, though his stand-up isn't that great.
Plus Catherine Tate and Paul Whitehouse.
Speaking of Ben Elton, Harry Enfield is another comedian who went shit overnight.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Harry Hill (in the early days don't know what he is like now).

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:Harry Hill (in the early days don't know what he is like now).
I cannot stand Harry Hill. I actually shout at him when he's on the telly.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:Harry Hill (in the early days don't know what he is like now).
Never seen him on TV but his stand up was great.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
Ooooooh, oooooh,I want Heston to shout at me! You know who I love? That John Barrowman fellow.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Heston

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
Heston wrote:
Ooooooh, oooooh,I want Heston to shout at me! You know who I love? That John Barrowman fellow.
:mad: Swoon :mad:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Here's an early Xmas present for Heston.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:Here's an early Xmas present for Heston.
I'm gonna paste it onto my punchbag.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
Me and my brothers watch TV Burp. It's silly, good family fun.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Wait until you're a curmudgeonly old bastard like me, everything starts getting on your tits.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Wait until you're a curmudgeonly old bastard like me, everything starts getting on your tits.
Would a new Frankie shirt make you feel better?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft