Jeopardy

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Jeopardy

Post by JennyB »

tepista wrote:I have a week's worth of Jeopardy in my DVR. Been busy.

I don't know what he did, but I hate when contestants jump around categories, breaks my train of though.
Yep. Board jumpers are the worst. And they REALLY discourage it before you go on the show.

I haven't watched in awhile, so I don't know what this guy's strategy is. I don't understand why he would purposefully tie, though. That makes you lose your buzzer advantage for the next episode.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I get the idea of category-jumping to search for the Daily Doubles because those are the only questions that aren’t available to all players. You don’t want to give your opponents a chance to find them and use them against you. Category-jumping to find them early on both removes the DD from your opponents’ strategy and increases the chances that you can use it against them.

Removing any kind of psychological edge in a repeat encounter and looking at things as just mathtits, playing for the tie does make sense because it removes one scenario where Player A answers incorrectly and loses. Because a tie is the same as a win, shift the goal slightly from trying to win to avoiding a loss. So, using my example where Player A has 10,000 going into Final Jeopardy and Player B has 8,000 (Player C, Hoy, went bust when he thought the Cure recorded “Radio Free Europe”):

1. Player A will bet at least 6000 so that if he’s right, it doesn’t matter what B does. So the reason for playing for the tie does not involve A getting the answer right.

2. If A gets the answer wrong and B gets it right, it doesn’t matter what B bet because he’ll be ahead, at worst, 8,000 to 4,000. So the reason for playing for the tie does not involve B getting the answer right. The tie scenario, then, must involve A and B both being wrong, with A maximizing his chances of not losing.

3. If A plays for the guaranteed win and bets 6,001, there’s no way B can win if A gets the answer right, so B should bet in a way that maximizes his chances of winning even if he gets the answer wrong.

4. B could bet 0, which means he’s guaranteed 8,000 regardless, but he’s losing out on a potential higher score.

5. B has to assume that A is going to bet at least 6,000 (see Step 1), which means if A is wrong, he’ll drop down to 4,000. So B has 4,000 to play with in a bet (i.e., if B bets 4,000 and is wrong, he’s down to 4,000, which is the same as what A would be at if he bet 6,000 and was wrong).

6. If the primary goal is to win, not to win a specific amount, there is no downside to B betting the 4,000. Because the “play for the tie” scenario requires both A and B getting Final Jeopardy wrong, B is down to 4,000 now. This is key in terms of B’s strategy. A has to protect against B betting it all, but there is little value in B actually doing it. If B bets the full 8,000 and A gets it right, it doesn’t matter, A wins; if B gets it wrong, it doesn’t matter because B is at 0. But the threat of B doing it—a calculated irrationality, so to speak—has to motivate A’s bet of at least 6,000 so that A doesn’t lose even on a correct response.

7. If A played for the win and bet 6,001, he’d now be at 3,999, which means B would win if they both answered incorrectly.

8. If A played for the tie and bet 6,000, he’d now be at 4,000, which means they’d both have the same score and would tie (i.e., not lose).

9. So A can remove one scenario where he and B both answer incorrectly—B bets the full 4,000 allowance—and still lose.

Thus, there is no rational upside to A betting more than 6,000 because betting more puts into play an additional scenario where he could lose the game.

From B’s perspective, betting 4,000 is the equivalent of playing for the tie, but betting 3,999 would give him the win, assuming he knows A’s strategy and they both get it wrong.

Everything gets a lot more complicated if Hoy knows anything about early Cure and is in a position to win if he gets FJ right and the other two are wrong.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I watched the infamous tie episode last night. He wants to bang, simple as that. People over think shit.

I don't see what's wrong with playing for tie, they get all the money, not half. Make them pay, Merv Griffin had deep pockets. All that Advil money. What is buzzer advantage, JB?

I'm still 2 episodes behind, I hope he loses, I don't like him. The way he arrogantly gave up on the hockey answer as if "i don't care for sports" but then he knew the basketball answer. Fuck that guy.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

tepista wrote:I watched the infamous tie episode last night. He wants to bang, simple as that. People over think shit.

I don't see what's wrong with playing for tie, they get all the money, not half. Make them pay, Merv Griffin had deep pockets. All that Advil money. What is buzzer advantage, JB?

I'm still 2 episodes behind, I hope he loses, I don't like him. The way he arrogantly gave up on the hockey answer as if "i don't care for sports" but then he knew the basketball answer. Fuck that guy.
And it was an easy hockey answer, too.

Buzzer advantage is just that you know how to time the buzzer better than the newbie. Remember how I didn't answer the Golda Meir question? It was the damn buzzer.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:Buzzer advantage is just that you know how to time the buzzer better than the newbie. Remember how I didn't answer the Golda Meir question? It was the damn buzzer.
Or you're an anti-Semite. Prove me wrong, children, prove me wrong.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Golda, my ass!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:Buzzer advantage is just that you know how to time the buzzer better than the newbie. Remember how I didn't answer the Golda Meir question? It was the damn buzzer.
Or you're an anti-Semite. Prove me wrong, children, prove me wrong.
:shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

:)

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I hate him, i'm gonna stop watching til he;s gone

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

tepista wrote:I hate him, i'm gonna stop watching til he;s gone
He lost the other day. The other 2 contestants tag-teamed an effective prevent-defense against his strategy, he had to raise the stakes and take bigger risks to stay in it, and it backfired with him finishing Final Jeopardy at $0. He's done until he inevitably comes back--until the end of time--on the Champions circuit.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Rat Patrol wrote:
tepista wrote:I hate him, i'm gonna stop watching til he;s gone
He lost the other day. The other 2 contestants tag-teamed an effective prevent-defense against his strategy, he had to raise the stakes and take bigger risks to stay in it, and it backfired with him finishing Final Jeopardy at $0. He's done until he inevitably comes back--until the end of time--on the Champions circuit.
oh good. i tivo all the episodes anyway. in a rare tv-error on my part, i accidentally didn't record thursdays ep

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tonight's episode has a woman who looks like Blossom. This is significant for some reason, I just know it.