Quiz Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Quiz Thread

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Wolter wrote: I spent a long time staring at Private Gladiator
I bet you did.
Gladiator? Glad he didn't!
- Frank DeCaro on The Daily Show many, many years ago
He had a few good bits on that. It's crazy that TDS has I think all of their archival material up there. I was trying to hunt down a "Public Excess" bit that was in the very early Stewart area where some comedian mocked public access television bits. There was one in particular where some fat woman was dancing and the comedian said "This is what your aunt would look like if she was a circus whore." I have occasionally used the term "circus whore" to great effect.

Oh and I gave up rather quickly as they had a ton of those "Public Excess" bits and I didn't care that much to go through it all.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:I was trying to hunt down a "Public Excess" bit that was in the very early Stewart area where some comedian mocked public access television bits. There was one in particular where some fat woman was dancing and the comedian said "This is what your aunt would look like if she was a circus whore." I have occasionally used the term "circus whore" to great effect.

Oh and I gave up rather quickly as they had a ton of those "Public Excess" bits and I didn't care that much to go through it all.
I don't recall those, but it sounds more like a Kilborn gag. Kilborn's TDS was often funny, but it had a certain mean-spirited "picking on the fucked up" that could be off-putting. Stewart turning the guns on the powerful and hypocritical made it so much more satisfying.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:I was trying to hunt down a "Public Excess" bit that was in the very early Stewart area where some comedian mocked public access television bits. There was one in particular where some fat woman was dancing and the comedian said "This is what your aunt would look like if she was a circus whore." I have occasionally used the term "circus whore" to great effect.

I don't recall those, but it sounds more like a Kilborn gag. Kilborn's TDS was often funny, but it had a certain mean-spirited "picking on the fucked up" that could be off-putting. Stewart turning the guns on the powerful and hypocritical made it so much more satisfying.
I agree.

I actually was worried when Kilborn left. How hilarious that it ended up getting so much better.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I found the clip:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-j ... of-stories

It wasn't a very good segment in general and that Rich Brown guy wasn't worthwhile, but I did love that phrase "circus whore."

Jesus, I saw this bit once, twelve years ago. :meh:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I found the clip:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-j ... of-stories
Thank you, CRTC, for ensuring the unspoiled beauty of Canada's airwaves by denying me the viewing of a twelve year old clip. I despise that protectionism with a white-hot fury.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I used to love Frank DeCaro's Out at the Mvies. My favorite was for the movie Ever After, but it's not on YouTube. So here's the Gladiator one:
[youtube][/youtube]

Also, he's a pretty amusing person to follow on Twitter.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

9/10. Two were guesses.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Anyone remember the puzzles thread?

+

ImageImage
ImageImage
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

EDDIE AND THE HOT RODS!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

The second picture wasn't needed. :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Chuck Mangione wrote:The second picture wasn't needed. :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:
:shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:The second picture wasn't needed. :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:
:yuck:

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
:yuck:
:kiss:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:http://www.triviaplaza.com/1980-albums-quiz/

1980 Albums. I got 8/10.
198O teacher's pet.

Forces have been looting
My humanity