FAO Hoy

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26082
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by Heston » 09 Aug 2015, 7:41pm

Noisy fuckers, I wish drums had a volume button. When our drummer is soundchecking he bashes fuck out of the drums, much to my annoyance. When I protest he says he has to make sure they're in tune, to which my retort is always, "Since when did you have to tune fucking cymbals?"
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71084
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by Dr. Medulla » 09 Aug 2015, 7:48pm

Flex wrote:With throwdowns on both the drum and bass, seems as good a place as any to post Gene Krupa's Big Noise from Winnetka:
That's just so enjoyably demented to watch. Also such a fluidity to his motion.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19885
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by matedog » 10 Aug 2015, 3:01pm

Plenty of great drum solos out there. I'll take the concise solo at the end of Rock and Roll over Moby Dick. Jazz is generally better for drum solos due to the fact that jazz drummers are generally better, but they are also more to the point than rock solos. As a technician, I don't generally see more impressive solos than Buddy Rich.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71084
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by Dr. Medulla » 10 Aug 2015, 3:25pm

matedog wrote:Jazz is generally better for drum solos due to the fact that jazz drummers are generally better, but they are also more to the point than rock solos.
Which do you think is the more important variable—that jazz drummers are generally more talented or that jazz lends its better than rock to drum solos?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19885
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by matedog » 10 Aug 2015, 5:28pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:Jazz is generally better for drum solos due to the fact that jazz drummers are generally better, but they are also more to the point than rock solos.
Which do you think is the more important variable—that jazz drummers are generally more talented or that jazz lends its better than rock to drum solos?
Eh, it's probably more the genre thing. I guess Buddy did gaudy drum solos like that, but that was pretty rare and I don't think they ever ventured into 20 minute territory. There is less emphasis on bombast and grandeur vs. stadium rock.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71084
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by Dr. Medulla » 10 Aug 2015, 6:01pm

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:Jazz is generally better for drum solos due to the fact that jazz drummers are generally better, but they are also more to the point than rock solos.
Which do you think is the more important variable—that jazz drummers are generally more talented or that jazz lends its better than rock to drum solos?
Eh, it's probably more the genre thing. I guess Buddy did gaudy drum solos like that, but that was pretty rare and I don't think they ever ventured into 20 minute territory. There is less emphasis on bombast and grandeur vs. stadium rock.
Okay, thanks. My gut sense has been that genre convention is a more powerful dictator than individual ability/ambition.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15369
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by JennyB » 10 Aug 2015, 11:19pm

"Neil Peart has some sweet-ass drum solos!" - all of white St. Louis.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12589
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by Silent Majority » 11 Aug 2015, 3:23am

I loved the film Whiplash about a young jazz drummer consumed with ambition at a music conservatory. JK Simmons is the teacher the film sets up as the cliche inspirational mentor, but is obviously a horrible abuser on a mad power trip. Or is he? It's a fantastic watch with great music and a story to match. First time drum solos haven't bored me cos the effort going into them is integral to the story and they're filmed like a Hitchcock suspense scene. Run - don't walk - to torrent or stream the film.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71084
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by Dr. Medulla » 11 Aug 2015, 6:17am

Silent Majority wrote:I loved the film Whiplash about a young jazz drummer consumed with ambition at a music conservatory. JK Simmons is the teacher the film sets up as the cliche inspirational mentor, but is obviously a horrible abuser on a mad power trip. Or is he? It's a fantastic watch with great music and a story to match. First time drum solos haven't bored me cos the effort going into them is integral to the story and they're filmed like a Hitchcock suspense scene. Run - don't walk - to torrent or stream the film.
I see that it's currently on Netflix. Now, I was just sitting while looking that up. Am I still obliged to run somewhere?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12589
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by Silent Majority » 11 Aug 2015, 6:18am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:I loved the film Whiplash about a young jazz drummer consumed with ambition at a music conservatory. JK Simmons is the teacher the film sets up as the cliche inspirational mentor, but is obviously a horrible abuser on a mad power trip. Or is he? It's a fantastic watch with great music and a story to match. First time drum solos haven't bored me cos the effort going into them is integral to the story and they're filmed like a Hitchcock suspense scene. Run - don't walk - to torrent or stream the film.
I see that it's currently on Netflix. Now, I was just sitting while looking that up. Am I still obliged to run somewhere?
Faster pussycat, kill, kill.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71084
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by Dr. Medulla » 14 Aug 2015, 10:07pm

Mister Andrew, your honeymoon destination is Seoul: http://jezebel.com/lets-head-on-down-to ... 1724113969
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49222
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by Wolter » 14 Aug 2015, 10:27pm

Flex wrote:With throwdowns on both the drum and bass, seems as good a place as any to post Gene Krupa's Big Noise from Winnetka:
I'm like 5 miles from a Big Noise?
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19885
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by matedog » 10 Sep 2015, 5:50pm

This is the best thing I've seen all day
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35318
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by Marky Dread » 10 Sep 2015, 7:38pm

matedog wrote:This is the best thing I've seen all day
:mrgreen:

Who says the dog can't play drums. :shifty:
Image
Image

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14571
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by Rat Patrol » 25 Nov 2015, 11:26pm

http://www.universalhub.com/2015/some-s ... ick-ginger

...because when it comes to kicking repressed minorities while they're down, who you gonna call but Massholes?
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests